Getting dress on plane?

Originally Posted by TheWolferts View Post

We just flew AirTrain from Baltimore direct flight to Cancun. The flight crew we had was completely unhelpful when it came to my dress confused.gif

All planes have at least a captain's closet, which if they dont want to offer that up, fine, but one stewardess actually try to cram my dress into an overhead bin approx. 1 foot wide.

I suggest asking the gate attendant if you can board early since you are carrying on your wedding dress. I did this in case I needed to use an overhead bin, which I did. I ended up folding my dress in half and then putting my carry-on bag/purse next to it so that no one else would use the bin and squish my dress. The stewardess that practically took my dress out of my hand to shove in the tiny bin kept saying that I was going to take other customer's overhead space. I said "well my fiance will forgo his overhead space." and promptly sat down.

I did get my dress steamed once I got down there (cost about $30), but it really wasnt too wrinkly. I think it just depends on the style and fabric of your dress.

So even if I ask to get on the flight earlier, there is no telling if someone is going to want to put stuff on top of my dress? Of if flight attendant is going to have issue with how much space I'm using? That really sucsk.

My dress had a lot of ruching (sp?) on it and was a stretch silk/satin. It was too wrinkled since I made sure nothing was set on top of it, but boy was it heavy to carry through the airport!

Originally Posted by Jass7 View Post

I'm flying with AirTran from Baltimore direct flight to Cancun as well. And I'm expecting no closet for my dress. It sucks that they don't provide enough space for it knowing they are flying into Cancun, one of the top destination wedding places. What kind of material was your dress? Mine is organza, and I will have it steamed here before we go, and then steamed (touched up) at the resort. A friend of mine was flying recently for her wedding in Key West and she wrapped her dress and steamed it herself once they got to their destination. I have no idea what I'm going to do, specially if AirTran is going to be no help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,

I used to be a flight attendant for USA 3000 (they've since gone out of business).  We flew a lot of flights to Cancun and Punta Cana, so we had a lot of brides on our flights. 

Our planes were single class configuration (no first class), so there wasn't a closet.  Brides would call our helpdesk prior to the flight and they ALWAYS told them there was a closet.  Don't ask me why.  I don't think anyone from that department had ever actually stepped foot on one of our planes.  Then the bride would get onboard and find out there wasn't one and be upset. 

Going up to the gate agent and asking if you can board early is a great idea.  You might also ask how full the flight is.  If it's not completely full, I would hold onto your dress at your seat until boarding is complete, then you'll be able to find an empty bin to put it in. 

The hard truth: 

--Yes, you may have to put it on top of some people's suitcases.  Lay it flat and have your (hopefully tall**) fiance place it up there. 

--Yes, the best spot for it might be all the way in the back of the plane--no where near your seat--but if that's where the empty bins are, then that's what you get.  As a planning bride now--I get it that it's your most prized possession at that moment.  But no one is going to touch it in flight, believe me.  The bummer is that when you arrive, you may have to wait to get off last to retrieve it.  Don't worry, your transport won't leave without you. 

--You have to be flexible and mentally prepare for the worst--it gets crammed into a bin.  It may get wrinkled, so budget for steaming.  But at least you will ensure that it gets down there!

I bought my dress about a month ago and the train is much larger than I ever anticipated.  It's heavy and it's big so I will be having the same problem as you!  My plan is to give my fiance the dress as we board the plane. (Flight attendants always deal better with men than scatterbrained/protective women--don't tell them I said that!!).  He will be instructed to place it nicely on top of some luggage and then close the bin doors.  Then he'll have to guard it.  Under no circumstances will he let a flight attendant or a passenger cram stuff on top of it! 

And when all else fails--BRING CANDY!  (just make sure it's sealed in original packaging--no one trusts open stuff in this post-9/11 era)  Bribery works well in airports and on airplanes.  You want the gate agent to let you on before everyone else??  Swedish fish.  You want the flight attendants to save you bin space?  Godiva.  Give it to the first F/a you see as you get on the plane and tell them your situation.  Never hurts!

Good luck everybody!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Gipsymoth for the tips. I am getting married and will be flying Thanksgiving week, so the odds of any "extra" bins being available are slight, especially these days when everyone tries to get by with only a carry-on to avoid checked bag fees. Heck, I flew 2 weeks ago and every bin was full and they were taking people's "carry-ons" and checking them from the plane.