31 replies to this topic

#1 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
  • 550 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 23, 2007
  • Wedding Location:RIU Cabo
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

My mom wants me to pick out what she will wear for the wedding - OK, that's cool, I'm glad she wants my opinion. Here's my problem, I have no idea where to start. Mom is a full figured woman, and not real "girlie", I can't remember the last time I saw her in a dress - 1990 maybe? And I know she wants it to be special, not just a normal dress, more of a mother of the bride type of thing. Everything I look at just doesn't say "my mom" to me. What did your mom's wear or what are they wearing? Should I suggest that she wear pants? She might be more comfy that way
Stephanie & Jason ~ RIU Palace ~ Cabo San Lucas
June 23, 2007
Visit our wedding slideshow Stephanie & Jason
Photography by Jose "Pepe" Lima

#2 Janet

Janet
  • VIP Member
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

my MIL is wearing a silky, flowy pants/shirt combo. I think it's GREAT for the beach! It's hard to explain but I'll have pics in a week to show you!

#3 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
    • 550 posts
    • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JANET1111
    my MIL is wearing a silky, flowy pants/shirt combo. I think it's GREAT for the beach! It's hard to explain but I'll have pics in a week to show you!
    Yea! I can't wait to see your pictures, and I can't believe it's so close already.
    June 23, 2007

#4 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 6,996 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

I like Janet's idea of the flowy shirt/pants, especially if she's not especially "girlie". It will look feminine, yet make her comfortable. Looking forward to Janet's pics!

#5 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
      • VIP Member
      • 11,403 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

Stephanie,

I am in a similar situation. My mom is SOOO not girlie, and soooo not into shopping. The only dress I've seen her in in the last 15 years is either made out of denim or some khaki material. She is a jeans & boots woman. She asked me to pick for her too. I told her I would prefer if she picked & then asked my opinion. I also told her it was fine to go for a nice pant suit if she doesn't feel comfy in a dress. I certainly don't want to force anyone to be uncomfortable!

What I may end up doing, only because she will procrastinate on this, is purchasing a few outfits & take them to her to try on, and then return what doesn't work. Perhaps you can try the same?

#6 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
        • 550 posts
        • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by A10CALGAL
        Stephanie,

What I may end up doing, only because she will procrastinate on this, is purchasing a few outfits & take them to her to try on, and then return what doesn't work. Perhaps you can try the same?

Excellent idea. Since she lives 500 miles from me, it's not like we can really just go shopping one day.
        June 23, 2007

#7 EDYTA

EDYTA
        • 1,277 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

I think that Janet's flowy pant idea is great so comfy and so flattering

As for my mom I wanted to show off her dress 2, she's a very slim lady and I love her dress it's a Mandalay and we found it when we were looking for wedding dresses for me instead we found this

Click the image to open in full size.

the detail is amazing

#8 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
          • VIP Member
          • 11,403 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by RAENJAY
            Excellent idea. Since she lives 500 miles from me, it's not like we can really just go shopping one day.
            Ohhh, yes I thought of that after I posted. But, you can always surf the web & send her ideas via email (if she does that). And these days it wouldn't be unreasonable to send her something from a website to try.

#9 RAENJAY

RAENJAY
            • 550 posts
            • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by EDYTA
            I think that Janet's flowy pant idea is great so comfy and so flattering

As for my mom I wanted to show off her dress 2, she's a very slim lady and I love her dress it's a Mandalay and we found it when we were looking for wedding dresses for me instead we found this

Wow! What a dresss.........
            June 23, 2007

#10 SASSYGIRL

SASSYGIRL
            • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

I have the same issue with my Mom but since we are doing a DW on the beach some of pressure of looking formal has been lifted. I have no idea what she will end up wearing but have learned from experience to act like I am helping her pick something but really just encourage what I can tell she feels comfortable in. My only other advise would be to keep it simple. My Mom doesn't wear make up or tons of jewels...it wouldn't make sence to get her all dolled up for a wedding and then not recognize her in any of the pictures. In the end I just want her to have a good time and feel so lucky that she will be there to celebrate with us - looking like a mother of the bride or not!
              Sarah's little girl-Isabella Nicole-10/31/08
              http://i83.photobuck....sabella034.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users