Making my own invitations

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 USMC_Wife2Be

• 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

Ok, so I'm not a crafty person and I'm totally clueless as to where to start on this. Are there any softwares that would be helpful to design it, then print it myself or somewhere else? I'm working on invites for two receptions once we get back.

I want it to be fairly simple and I already have a icon/picture I want to use for the top of the invitation. Sorry this isn't very specific. I'm just totally lost as to where to start!

#2 LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

i did my own - as did many others on here. i found a sample invite (ordered online) then basically just copied that. i created my design in MS Word, and went to a local craft/paper store and bought all of the paper and supplies I'd need. I printed on my hope printer ... and there ya go!

Many of the girls on here, like Sarah (NurseSarah) created some beautiful invites on their own as well.

#3 ~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,680 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
      • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
      • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

yeah the hardest part if figuring out WHAT you want... tht took me forver to decide.

I ended up using my photoshop for it all and prnted them off hee at home. I got the special paper from AC MOORE. I paid $30 for about 35 of them. I think DIY is the way to go. And all of my guests were really impressed and said that meant alot to them

#4 Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 6,996 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

Look around online to find samples of invitations you like, then recreate it. Do you have a style in mind? Then we could point you in the right direction. I made pocketfolds and printed everything at home from Word.

#5 fogdog

• 170 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:54 AM

Do you have a PaperSource store near you? They have tons of great ideas for inspiration and their line of plain envelopes and cards has tons of shapes and is reasonably priced. I used the gold for mine and they were really fun!
          I think the sometimes have classes too for designing invites and I know they have kits (though I wouldn't recommend this as it's almost as much as just having them made). I used them for all my supplies and got tons of compliments on the invites.
          Bridget and Brian
          Los Cabos 11/17/07

#6 MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 10,366 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:21 AM

I made my own as well, I found an invitation that I absolutely loved online (but refused to pay their huge price tag) and bought the stuff and made the actual invite in powerpoint... printed them and put it altogether! it was easier than I thought!

#7 foxytv

• VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

I originally made an invite based on one I saw in a magazine and loved. But, I eventually decided to go with the Boarding Pass invites and am currently cutting and assembling those. I got that template and made it my own from some of the fab ladies on here!

#8 USMC_Wife2Be

• 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look around a little more to get some ideas. I appreciate all the help and I'll be checking out a papersource near me!

#9 JENESIS

• 394 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

I did my own. I just bought card stock and envelopes form Paper Source, some ribbon, rubber stambs and scalloped scissors.

Here's picture.

#10 MLBURK

• 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

I am frustrated with my DIY save the date maps!!!! I made a map to go in with my save the date magnets. I made the map through power point because it has a lot of drawing tools, fonts, and it makes it easy to place objects. Now I am having the hardest time formating to the right size! First I think the cardstock I bought is too big...12X12 because that won't fit in my printer (duh, luckily I bought just 4 pieces for a test run). I thought about cutting the paper down...but then I will have to be doing a lot of cutting. My save the date magents are VERY small, and so I am going to buy fairly small envelopes, and I can't seem to format using power point to the right size.... Any advice on this before I completely lose it
                    Brian and MeaghanCabo San LucasMay 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users