• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
  • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Confessions of a Shopaholic 

March 9, 2012

Hello, My name is Amber Dominique and I’m a Thrift Store Shopping Addict!

Set of four jars for $6.98. The lids are begging to be painted with chalkboard paint!  (Personal Photo)

Three bags of seashells for $2.98 each (Personal Photo)

Crystal Punch Bowl with 7 crystal cups for $2.98 and a Crystal Cake Plate for $9.98 (Personal Photo)

Milk Glass Bowls, the top two were a set for $2.98 and the bottom was $1.98 (Personal Photo)

Two Glass Cake Plates, $7.98 for the set (Personal Photo)

From left to right, pedestal bowl for $4.25, medium jar with lid $2.98, two small jars with lids priced at $1.65 each but they were half off because they were the color of the week, cake plate with lid $6.98 (Personal Photo)

The good deals add up and I have to work really hard to have self control and pay my bills before shopping but the feeling of getting great stuff for even greater prices make everyday I shop I great day! Do you thrift store shop? Have you found it to be a valuable source for your wedding?

#42 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
    • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I Have a Doctors Note

March 16, 2012

I apologize for the lack of posts lately. It’s not because I gave up on the wedding, I promise. It’s because I’ve been really sick! Like “feeling like poop on a stick” sick. (I could google and share a picture with you but you might not like that as much as I would) Since I’m allergic to most OTC medicines and antibiotics, I don’t go to the doctors unless it’s really bad . I’ve been trying to let my body build up the strength to fight it. I know it’s worse than a cold but I don’t think it’s the flu but the Doctor’s I work for can vouch that I’m really sick since I picked it up from their little girl.

Source

I promise to catch you up on what’s been going on and make up for it with a posting marathon! I have the next week off and since Raoul’s no longer able to come visit (the sucky part of long distance relationships and shrinking finances) I will have time to tackle the DIY projects that have been sitting on my couch and floor waiting for me to have time.

How cool you get to see it all up close without getting infected! (Hmmm maybe I should sanatize the projects when I’m done?)

#43 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
      • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

The DIY Marathon Takes Off

March 17, 2012

I started filling my 

Image via 

They have ton’s of colors but I think I like Ivory the best.  I was picking up a mold for soap, a project I hope to get to this week / Image via 

Personal Image

It’s a good start but I hate it because it’s so unfinished. I’m taking a pause to let my creative juices flow. But for pieces I’d like to use the sea shells and clear glass gems I bought at the dollar store when I thought I was making bubble magnets. It will be easy and cheap since I already have them.

Next, I decided to work on a project I had been tripping over for the last month. I have always collected sand from places I visited and it’s something really special to me.

Here’s my collection that sits in the hallway. That’s the Kalik bottle from when Ra and I 

I’m so glad I saved them because they made this project possible. (Personal Image)

I had searched long and hard for sea glass online and in stores but it was not affordable and difficult to find a color I liked. One day I was in the floral aisle at Wal-Mart (shopping for my mothers’ wedding) and I found this for less than $4.

Bonus: It’s made from recyclable materials! (Personal Image)

I realize it’s not real but it fits through the mouth of the jar so I don’t have attack sea glass with a hammer. The bottle still needed something else. I remembered some shells I had. I purchased boxes from a bride hoping to use them for my save the dates but they turned out too small. She had included her leftover shells and starfish for free! I finally had all my supplies and they sat waiting on the floor for over a month. Fast forward to today when I carried them to my sick-bed. Yes, I craft in my bed. No, I do not recommend it. Now I have tiny pebbles everywhere!

Here’s a close up of the bottle. (Personal Image)

Then I lined them up and added 5 shells to each one ( I wanted to make sure I had enough)

(Personal Image)

I got bored with that fast and just dumped shells across the tops.

(Personal Image)

I didn’t have enough starfish for all the bottles so I’m going to ask brides for their leftovers instead of ordering a new bag of 500. After the starfish I added pinches of sea glass.

(Personal Image)

Some of the bottles have a lot more sea glass because it took too long so I just poured it across the top.

(Personal Image)

Which left a big mess so I just used the bottles to scoop up the pebbles.

(Personal Image)

After about 45 minutes they look so cute all lined up!

(Personal Image)

(Personal Image)

When Raoul comes to visit he’s bringing sand and we can seal them closed once we add the sand. So far this project is costing me $4 for 85 bottles. I’m not counting the cost of the bottles because I bought them six years ago but they were about $11. I would like to add a label with a poem about the sand or sea glass and I can use leftover cardstock from my Save the Dates to create them. I’m also tempted to soak the corks in some tropical scented oil I already have when we get closer to August! I’m pretty proud of my first (almost) done favor but there’s more projects to work on.

Do you collect anything from your travels? Were you able to make use of supplies you already had in the house before wedding planning?

#44 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
        • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

The DIY Marathon Continues

March 18, 2012

Remember I wanted to 

Personal Image

And remember I was determined to make these.

Personal Image

Personal Image

I also wanted to make ribbon flags but the search for peach ribbon proved too difficult and I gave up since the hearts were so beautiful.

Did you find that a DIY project was easier than you expected? Did you have thoughts of listing it on Etsy?

#45 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
          • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Wrapping it Up

March 19, 2012

It feels so good to wrap this project up. It literally took me 5 days. Not 24 hours a day though because my fingers were so sore I had to take breaks. I’m sure your dying to see what I wrapped up. I have to admit his was not an original idea. I combined 

Personal Image

I didn’t want to go to the store to buy twine so I used ribbon that I had from the dollar store. It really bothered me that this ribbon will just go in the trash or probably blow away in the wind but I couldn’t think of a green alternative. I decided not to put a tag on each one to make up for my lack of being green and instead make a sign that explains why were eating off wood and why I want to save the napkins. So after 5 days of work the fruits of my labor are 100 forks for dessert and 100 forks, spoons, and knives for dinner rolled up in fabric napkins tied with coordinating ribbon.

For dessert / Personal Image

For dinner / Personal Image

I’d like to find a crate to store them in standing up and maybe label them dinner and dessert and a pretty container for dirty napkins. It would be nice if I could wash and re-cut them to use for the Virginia Beach reception as well but we’ll see. Hopefully they get saved and one day maybe I’ll learn to make a quilt with them.  For now they’re packaged in ziplock bags to stay dust free waiting to go to the Bahamas.

Personal Image

I’m very pleased with the results and I know they’ll be beautiful at the wedding even if they aren’t appreciated by all. Did you spend a lot of time and effort on a project that family and friends didn’t care much about?

#46 Susan Butler

Susan Butler
            • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

too cute...

#47 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
              • 923 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Susan Butler 

too cute...

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

#48 Susan Butler

Susan Butler
                • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

im at my max they said...lol

#49 dominiqueamber

dominiqueamber
                  • 923 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I'm so honored to be featured on the home page! Thank you Tammy! I poured my heart and soul into these posts hoping to be able to inspire other women, I feel like now that so many have seen it maybe I will do so. Stay tuned - much more adventure to come!

#50 Islander88

Islander88
                    • 120 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

wow love your finds! and you're getting through sooo much! good for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users