Jump to content

Photo

May 2013 Brides


  • Please log in to reply
2335 replies to this topic

#1111 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
  • Member
  • 955 posts

    Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

    Originally Posted by Sophia2616 

    I have a random question, most of our vendors are pay the balance in cash the day of. (That's a lot of cash to bring down and makes me feel nervous) Does anyone know if there are American banks in Playa/Cancun area? Such as Chase or BofA? If not any suggestions on taking out that much cash when you are down there?

    For BOA you want to scout out Banco Santander (or Santander Serfin).  Most USA banks charge a foreign ATM withdrawal fee of $1-5 per transaction and sometimes an additional foreign exchange fee of 1% to 3% of the amount withdrawn.  BOA is an exception (at least is was during our trips in 2009 and 2011. They won't charge either fee if you use one of those 2 ATMs.  Also, only use ATMs that are located at bank branches...just a safety precaution



    #1112 melnryluvco

    melnryluvco
    • Jr. Member
    • 340 posts

      Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

      Originally Posted by cherany 


      Thanks! Nordstrom is one of Amy's favorite stores, on the rare days she is interested in trying on clothes, so that is a great suggestion! We have Nordstrom near us, but not sure about the wedding suite. I did browse their dresses online, though, and while I see they have some at low price points (which we will definitely need), they don't appear to have anything for plus size brides, which she is.
      She's been very active in the past year, playing soccer several times a week on various teams, but it hasn't resulted in much weight loss. She said last night she's content to shop for dresses without the added pressure to lose pounds, which is perfectly fine with me. I want her to have an easy time shopping, but she's more than a size or two away from fitting regular dresses, so I think it's best if she gets something that fits her now and alters later, if necessary.
      There's a shop called Bridal Exclusives near us, which I have heard great things about from plus-size brides. She's worried they're too expensive, but I at least want her to have a good experience with someone helping her figure out what silhouettes look good on her body type. Right now, she has no clue, and I am not much help, being a completely different shape and size.
      She wants me to come, so we're planning to start shopping very soon. Suggestions of shops from those familiar with the Portland area are welcome.

       

      I don't know what size she needs but I saw quiet a few plus size online last night, I was looking for Mom of Bride dresses for my mom who is also plus size. I ordered my 2nd dress off the Nordstrom website and then if I didn't like them I could return them right in the store. What type of dress is she wanting to wear?? She could always browse online and request that they bring the dresses in. Also, there is a fantastic Non-Profit that I donated my first dress to call Brides Against Breast Cancer. All the dress are brand new, donated from vendors, designers and private parties. They travel all over the US and best part of buying a dress from them is all the profits from the dresses go to women with Breast Cancer!! The prices are unreal too...they're like 50-75% off. So they have tons of dresses in all price ranges. I looked at their website and it looks like they're going to be in your area in Jan 2013! It's worth a shot. I also agree with you about getting a dress that fits her now and altering if needed. That way if it comes down to the wire she's not freaked about having to shed a ton of weight to fit into a dress...one less thing to stress about. Good Luck!

      http://bridesagainst...pcoming-events/



      #1113 JA2012

      JA2012
      • Jr. Member
      • 334 posts

        Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

        Originally Posted by Sophia2616 

        I have a random question, most of our vendors are pay the balance in cash the day of. (That's a lot of cash to bring down and makes me feel nervous) Does anyone know if there are American banks in Playa/Cancun area? Such as Chase or BofA? If not any suggestions on taking out that much cash when you are down there?

        I've been to Playa and I definitely recall seeing a scotiabank. Not sure if that's canadian or american but it's def there on a corner not far from the main hotel strip.



        #1114 cherany

        cherany
        • Jr. Member
        • 234 posts

          Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

          Originally Posted by danak71 

          So, I don't want anyone to think I'm cheapie cheapie LOL but I really didn't want to spend over $500 on my dress...and if I were really being honest if I could have gotten it for $300-$400 that would have been even better. Now there are plenty of things with this wedding I'm willing to spend top dollar on (photography/videography, honeymoon, excursion for my guests, etc.), my dress just wasn't one of them.

           

          Now that being said, I knew if I told the sales girls that, there wouldn't be anything for them to show me! Hahaha So I told them I didn't want to go over $1000 (thinking I could probably find someone selling something similar in my price range). My MOH is a bulldog when it comes to certain things and she absolutely would not allow them to bring me anything over $1000. We didn't want them to bring stuff to me that I would get emotional about and love; and then end up spending more than I wanted to. You have to be that person for Amy. I would say maybe go up to twice what you're really willing to pay when searching but no more than that probably because if you're willing to buy pre- owned (as I was) then you can most likely find it at half off for the same dress or something very similar.

           

          Lynn

           

          That's great to hear you say that, because that's pretty much where we are, too.  Now I don't feel like the poor/cheap bride, haha. I had in mind that she could go up to the 600 to 800 range, but she said she doesn't want to spend that much and prefers to cap it around 400.  My own dress is in the low 400s, which I thought would make her feel more comfortable spending more on her own, but it actually made her want to find a cheaper dress, too.  She's realized that two brides buying dresses is going to add up to way more than she ever thought we'd be spending (she was blissfully unaware of how much wedding dresses cost) and would rather spend that cash on other aspects of the wedding, which I completely understand and agree with.

           

          I can definitely handle being the pit bull at the appointment; that is my nature, anyway!  Everyone hates a pushy salesperson, but I generally can't stand the nice ones, either.  I know what I like, know what I'm willing to pay, and neither need nor want outside opinions in the fitting room.  Amy is different, though, usually very appreciative of sales people, because she usually has no idea what she wants or what she's willing to spend.  I know a salesperson will read her and see she is easily persuaded, so I had in mind I would have to insist she not be shown a single dress over the amount we tell them.

           

          I asked her more questions today about whether she'd be ok with trying on dresses, then having me find something similar for less, but she's afraid she'll fall in love with something and want that very item, right then and there.  Knowing her, I can't say I disagree; I know it's likely, based on past experiences shopping with her.  Once she finds something she likes, she's ready to pay and have them bag it up, not keep shopping for a lower price.  With that in mind, I took a closer look online at bridesmaids dresses that come in formal enough styles that she could get away with, without anyone being the wiser at the wedding.  Many come in white and could be jazzed up with a crystal belt or something similar.  Doing that takes us from being in the lowest price category to suddenly able to look at anything she likes, since most bridesmaids are well under $400.  And sizing won't be as big of an issue, either, since many bridesmaid dress lines come in a full range of sizes.

           

          I'm checking to see when the bridesmaid she wants to come along has time to shop with us, and hopefully we'll hit bridal shop #1 soon!  I know she hopes to only do it once, but I warned her she may need to go two or three places to find the dress. She made a face, but agreed. 



          #1115 cherany

          cherany
          • Jr. Member
          • 234 posts

            Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

            Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 

            Quote:

             

            LOL... It's funny cause it's so true.  This statement sums up the past 9 months of my life.  Justin always asks how there could possibly be that much stuff to research and look at, but somehow there always is! Especially for the frugal minded brides like us who refuse to skimp on quality but need to find the cheapest way to execute our vision. He has left me alone since he's realized that we have come under budget on most items

             

            I confess, even bring a bride myself, I always wondered what could possibly be keeping you so active on this site in the early planning stages!   After booking a couple of vendors and sending STD's, I felt like I had nothing left to do for months.  Yet, whenever I came around, I saw you were chugging along like the wedding was in a week!  You are incredibly organized and on top of everything! 



            #1116 cherany

            cherany
            • Jr. Member
            • 234 posts

              Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

              Originally Posted by melnryluvco 

               

              I don't know what size she needs but I saw quiet a few plus size online last night, I was looking for Mom of Bride dresses for my mom who is also plus size. I ordered my 2nd dress off the Nordstrom website and then if I didn't like them I could return them right in the store. What type of dress is she wanting to wear?? She could always browse online and request that they bring the dresses in. Also, there is a fantastic Non-Profit that I donated my first dress to call Brides Against Breast Cancer. All the dress are brand new, donated from vendors, designers and private parties. They travel all over the US and best part of buying a dress from them is all the profits from the dresses go to women with Breast Cancer!! The prices are unreal too...they're like 50-75% off. So they have tons of dresses in all price ranges. I looked at their website and it looks like they're going to be in your area in Jan 2013! It's worth a shot. I also agree with you about getting a dress that fits her now and altering if needed. That way if it comes down to the wire she's not freaked about having to shed a ton of weight to fit into a dress...one less thing to stress about. Good Luck!

              http://bridesagainst...pcoming-events/

               

              The Brides for Breast Cancer show is a great idea!  Like you said, worth a look.  Right now she has no clue what style she wants (I have ideas about what would flatter her, which she welcomes, but I don't want to basically choose her dress for her), and no clue on size (my guess is in the 24 to 28 range, far beyond the size 14 to 18 plus size dresses a lot of places have).  Once we've had an appointment or two in a store, we'll have a much better idea of what to look for. So far, she only knows she wants a full length dress in white. 



              #1117 ChocoTaco7568

              ChocoTaco7568
              • Member
              • 955 posts

                Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

                I confess, even bring a bride myself, I always wondered what could possibly be keeping you so active on this site in the early planning stages! :D   After booking a couple of vendors and sending STD's, I felt like I had nothing left to do for months.  Yet, whenever I came around, I saw you were chugging along like the wedding was in a week!  You are incredibly organized and on top of everything! 

                Organized and on top go everything... That's a nice way to put it. Thanks for not making me feel like an obsessive head case ;)

                #1118 Dazeydawl

                Dazeydawl
                • Member
                • 861 posts

                  Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

                  Originally Posted by cherany 

                   

                  That's great to hear you say that, because that's pretty much where we are, too.  Now I don't feel like the poor/cheap bride, haha. I had in mind that she could go up to the 600 to 800 range, but she said she doesn't want to spend that much and prefers to cap it around 400.  My own dress is in the low 400s, which I thought would make her feel more comfortable spending more on her own, but it actually made her want to find a cheaper dress, too.  She's realized that two brides buying dresses is going to add up to way more than she ever thought we'd be spending (she was blissfully unaware of how much wedding dresses cost) and would rather spend that cash on other aspects of the wedding, which I completely understand and agree with.

                   

                  I can definitely handle being the pit bull at the appointment; that is my nature, anyway!  Everyone hates a pushy salesperson, but I generally can't stand the nice ones, either.  I know what I like, know what I'm willing to pay, and neither need nor want outside opinions in the fitting room.  Amy is different, though, usually very appreciative of sales people, because she usually has no idea what she wants or what she's willing to spend.  I know a salesperson will read her and see she is easily persuaded, so I had in mind I would have to insist she not be shown a single dress over the amount we tell them.

                   

                  I asked her more questions today about whether she'd be ok with trying on dresses, then having me find something similar for less, but she's afraid she'll fall in love with something and want that very item, right then and there.  Knowing her, I can't say I disagree; I know it's likely, based on past experiences shopping with her.  Once she finds something she likes, she's ready to pay and have them bag it up, not keep shopping for a lower price.  With that in mind, I took a closer look online at bridesmaids dresses that come in formal enough styles that she could get away with, without anyone being the wiser at the wedding.  Many come in white and could be jazzed up with a crystal belt or something similar.  Doing that takes us from being in the lowest price category to suddenly able to look at anything she likes, since most bridesmaids are well under $400.  And sizing won't be as big of an issue, either, since many bridesmaid dress lines come in a full range of sizes.

                   

                  I'm checking to see when the bridesmaid she wants to come along has time to shop with us, and hopefully we'll hit bridal shop #1 soon!  I know she hopes to only do it once, but I warned her she may need to go two or three places to find the dress. She made a face, but agreed. 

                  Hitting up bridesmaids is an awesome idea for a  cheaper dress.. so is hitting up prom dresses as they usuallly come in white as well and can be just as fancy as wedding gowns while still be cheap. But you might know that if you got the ordange dress you posted about before??? because that was prom right?



                  #1119 Sophia2616

                  Sophia2616
                  • Newbie
                  • 143 posts

                    Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

                    Thanks for the tips!!! Sending out my invites this wknd. I cant believe it!! Its going so fast!!!



                    #1120 melnryluvco

                    melnryluvco
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 340 posts

                      Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

                      Hola lovelies,

                      So I am wanting to plan some group excursions while we are in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Do any of you Cancun/Tulum/Riviera Maya brides have any suggestions? I could always just google search it but I'd much rather go with a company that comes with a good recommendation. Let me know!!

                      Thanks!






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users