May 2013 Brides

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 View Post

Quote:

The white bridesmaid dress is definitely a good option. 

There are also a few online options for buy wedding dresses that would be similar to the  store your friend referred you to and since it online they would have a larger inventory…new dresses, pre-owned and samples anywhere from 20%-70% off retail prices.  But you would have to know what youâ€re looking for.  But if you went to a couple bridal appts and got a sense of what would look good or a few specific styles then it could be a viable option:

Preownedweddingdresses.com

Recycledbride.com

Oncewed.com

Thanks!  I definitely want to get her into a shop to see what styles look good and what she likes.  If she finds a great dress, I'm willing to do the legwork and find it for her at a discounted, possibly pre-owned price.  I'll check out those links just to see what's out there, but I definitely think it's time to make the appointments!  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by danak71 View Post

I went to a bridal salon and tried on some dresses that were more than I wanted to spend (not ridiculously so but definitely more) so that I could get a feel for what style I liked and what styles looked good on my figure. Then I went online and searched for those same dresses. I found the dress I wanted for less than half of what they were charging in the store. There are several brides out there that change their minds about their dresses or have weddings called off, etc and then need/want to sell the dress they bought.

In addition to the sites Tova mentioned, I would also look up here and www.weddingbee.com.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks!  When you went to the appointments, were you upfront about your budget, or did you fib a little so they would show you more dresses?  Amy is definitely the type who can be talked into something in a store, so we'll have to go into it with a very clear mindset that we're not spending over a certain amount, but I don't want to limit her to so few dresses that she can't find anything, either. 

Originally Posted by cherany View Post

Thanks!  When you went to the appointments, were you upfront about your budget, or did you fib a little so they would show you more dresses?  Amy is definitely the type who can be talked into something in a store, so we'll have to go into it with a very clear mindset that we're not spending over a certain amount, but I don't want to limit her to so few dresses that she can't find anything, either. 

So, I don't want anyone to think I'm cheapie cheapie LOL but I really didn't want to spend over $500 on my dress...and if I were really being honest if I could have gotten it for $300-$400 that would have been even better. Now there are plenty of things with this wedding I'm willing to spend top dollar on (photography/videography, honeymoon, excursion for my guests, etc.), my dress just wasn't one of them.

Now that being said, I knew if I told the sales girls that, there wouldn't be anything for them to show me! Hahaha So I told them I didn't want to go over $1000 (thinking I could probably find someone selling something similar in my price range). My MOH is a bulldog when it comes to certain things and she absolutely would not allow them to bring me anything over $1000. We didn't want them to bring stuff to me that I would get emotional about and love; and then end up spending more than I wanted to. You have to be that person for Amy. I would say maybe go up to twice what you're really willing to pay when searching but no more than that probably because if you're willing to buy pre- owned (as I was) then you can most likely find it at half off for the same dress or something very similar.

I actually found a dress at David's Bridal that was either $500 or $600 and I really liked it and was tempted to buy it that day but for some reason I didn't (my decision was made easier by the saleperson's high pressure sales pitch which I didn't like). However, because clearly I have nothing else to do with my life but stay online and research all things wedding, one night I found a dress that was very similar to the David's Bridal dress that I LOVED!!! I found the nearest store that sold it and went and tried it on so I would know what size I needed and then I went on the hunt to find someone that was selling the exact same dress. It was close to $1400 in the store but I purchased it new from a bride on eBay that changed her mind about her wedding for $600. Oh yea, I forgot! Don't forget to check eBay as well!

Hope that helps!

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by danak71 View Post

However, because clearly I have nothing else to do with my life but stay online and research all things wedding....

LOL... It's funny cause it's so true.  This statement sums up the past 9 months of my life.  Justin always asks how there could possibly be that much stuff to research and look at, but somehow there always is! Especially for the frugal minded brides like us who refuse to skimp on quality but need to find the cheapest way to execute our vision. He has left me alone since he's realized that we have come under budget on most items

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherany View Post

As previously mentioned my bridal consultant wasnâ€t too bright, and I took full advantage of this when she F'ed up and showed me a dress that was over my budget...in the end I got a discount the made up the difference (15%off).  I have no shame in haggling or making a strong argument based on principle and in this case it worked to my advantage. Obviously this is a risky angle and I wouldnâ€t advise going wedding dress shopping assuming that the same would happen. But I mention this to bring up the fact that different bridal salons often have varying mark-ups and on occasion can adjust this mark-up to meet you financial needs as long as itâ€s within reason. An alternate option if youâ€re open to a sample dress is to fib about your wedding date, and get a deal on an off-rack sample dress. Most bridal salons are more apt to sell a bride a sample if they know they canâ€t order anything in time for the wedding date.  Selling a sample is better than not selling anything depending on how old/popular the sample is. But if there is time, then they arenâ€t as flexible with selling off the floor.

I have a random question, most of our vendors are pay the balance in cash the day of. (That's a lot of cash to bring down and makes me feel nervous) Does anyone know if there are American banks in Playa/Cancun area? Such as Chase or BofA? If not any suggestions on taking out that much cash when you are down there?

well I did the Chinese knock-off route for my dress and I couldn't be happier (Jasmine's Bridal Shop). I got my custom Pronovias replica dress in 9 weeks. I spent less than $600 and I don't think anyone will be able to tell it's not a real Pronovias gown that would have cost me about $3,000 without alterations.  I posted about my experience in the knock-off thread.

As for welcome bags. I am doing one per couple/room and one per single guest.   

I'm an April 2013 bride but my timeline is very similar to you guys:

This week I had a chance to send in my musical requests for the ceremony for the steel drummer we're having to play from ceremony through cocktail hour. 

Deposit down and working on playlist for the DJ for the reception

Photographer booked

Officiant booked

Invitations went out two weeks ago

Dress, accessories and shoes bought

Hotel and rental car booked

Flights booked

Ceremony decor determined

Make up artist booked

Florist booked (submitted flower requests)

MOH dress arrived this week. She picked it up but it has to be altered. She's lost about a dress size so, she's gonna hold off to do final alterations. They told her it would take 6 weeks.

Mother of the bride dress bought and she looks fabulous. 

This is sort of a big deal but my FI's mom FINALLY got her passport!! lol  She's never been out of the country before and she has not been on a plane in 15 years. We still have to get her to book her flight and hotel. *crosses fingers*  FI will have to pay for at least one of those things. TBD later.

Honeymoon plane tickets/hotel and rental car booked for Cayman Brac

To do:  

Groom, Best Man and Dad outfits to be purchased within the next week or two via Island Importer

Plan casual welcome party (this is contingent on how many guests are coming and who they are!)

Get welcome bag together but most of the items we're using will be purchased in Grand Cayman. Also no idea how many guests yet. 

Waiting on 2013 menu to come out for venue so we can't plan the wedding menu yet.

come up with reception decor

Have fun and not flip out angel1.gif

Ladies, after the holidays, all the magic will really begin. RSVPs, finalizing guest numbers, etc.  In other words, CRUNCH TIME.  Glad to have this forum for support.