Photo

Who & What To Tip? Help! Lots of Questions!!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 ladydi1844

ladydi1844
  • Site Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hey Birthday girl. Happy Bday to you ;). It is the person that was taking care of me so I considered them the "maitre D" but i don't think it would matter if you gave them the same $20 - u never see them again lol. The WC I gave her the tip the next day when u go to their office to get your certificate and stuff so u don't need to have that with u. The hairstylist u give the tip when u are there so all u need with you is for the : waiters, photogrpaher/videographer, music guy (ipod or DJ) and if u are going to tip the officiant. I probably should have but what can u do -never see them again either lol. Be good to the picture people !!!

Originally Posted by shan0487 

Thank you as always Diane for sharing what you did! Was it easy to know who the head maitre D was?  That is probably a stupid question, lol! :)

#12 shan0487

shan0487
    • 1,393 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 23, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Sun Palace & Moon Palace- Cancun, MX
    • LocationSt Louis, MO

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thank you very much!! :)

Ok that makes sense! Thank you! I will be great to my photographer as we are flying her and her assistant down and she will be with us for 3 days! :)

Did you have the money all in envelopes and ready to go?  I think I will do that so I don't forget anyone! :)

Originally Posted by ladydi1844 

Hey Birthday girl. Happy Bday to you ;). It is the person that was taking care of me so I considered them the "maitre D" but i don't think it would matter if you gave them the same $20 - u never see them again lol. The WC I gave her the tip the next day when u go to their office to get your certificate and stuff so u don't need to have that with u. The hairstylist u give the tip when u are there so all u need with you is for the : waiters, photogrpaher/videographer, music guy (ipod or DJ) and if u are going to tip the officiant. I probably should have but what can u do -never see them again either lol. Be good to the picture people !!!

#13 ladydi1844

ladydi1844
    • Site Supporter
    • 252 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I didn't have envelopes but that would probably be nice. I wasn't sure how much I would want to give them in case we didn't like service or it was something we really thought was well done . like the videographer- i wanted to give him $50 before i met him but then he was so great I gave him $75. You might want to change things so bring a few envelopes and just have cash on hand. ;)

Originally Posted by shan0487 

Thank you very much!! :)

Ok that makes sense! Thank you! I will be great to my photographer as we are flying her and her assistant down and she will be with us for 3 days! :)

Did you have the money all in envelopes and ready to go?  I think I will do that so I don't forget anyone! :)

#14 shan0487

shan0487
      • 1,393 posts
      • Wedding Date:November 23, 2012
      • Wedding Location:Sun Palace & Moon Palace- Cancun, MX
      • LocationSt Louis, MO

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

good idea! I'll make the hubby have extra cash with him and we won't seal the envelopes!

Originally Posted by ladydi1844 

I didn't have envelopes but that would probably be nice. I wasn't sure how much I would want to give them in case we didn't like service or it was something we really thought was well done . like the videographer- i wanted to give him $50 before i met him but then he was so great I gave him $75. You might want to change things so bring a few envelopes and just have cash on hand. ;)

#15 jello

jello
      • 128 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Here's my two cents on tipping — I am a very generous tipper, but as I understand it tipping is for people who provide you a service but who you don't pay directly.  For example: the waiter at a restaurant serves you, but you pay the restaurant not him, so you give him an extra tip.  Same with hairdressers at a hair salon or massage therapists at a spa. 

HOWEVER, if someone is an independent professional and sets his or her own rates, I see no need to tip that person.  For example, the lady I go to for waxing works for herself and she always waves off my tips because they're just part of her rate.  So I don't plan on tipping my photographer, musicians, or wedding coordinator, because they are all independent professionals who set their own rates (my wedding coordinator is also the owner of my venue).  There is a mandatory 15% tip on food and beverage at my venue which goes to the waitstaff; I may bump that up to 20%. 

#16 jello

jello
        • 128 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

P.S. Just for the record, I'm booking all of my vendors directly.  If you're getting a wedding package at a resort and all of these people and their services are included in that package, then I would say yes tip because you are not paying any of them directly.  What do other people think about my tipping philosophy — does it make sense?

#17 loreli79

loreli79
          • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

thank you to everyone who has responded so far. so it really seems like there are no set rules for tipping in this scenario. I guess you just have to do what you feel is right. We are generous tippers so I'm so we'll figure it out. 

If anyone else can post their personal experience with tipping during their dw I'd greatly appreciate it!

#18 clarissalu3

clarissalu3
            • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I never even once thought about tipping out the photographer or wedding coordinator. Jello, I think I agree with you. The photographers are already charging an arm and a leg. I didn't even know you were supposed to tip them out. As far as the servers, of course I will be tipping them, no doubt. hmm...this is defiantly something I'm going to have to think about.

Originally Posted by jello 

Here's my two cents on tipping — I am a very generous tipper, but as I understand it tipping is for people who provide you a service but who you don't pay directly.  For example: the waiter at a restaurant serves you, but you pay the restaurant not him, so you give him an extra tip.  Same with hairdressers at a hair salon or massage therapists at a spa. 

HOWEVER, if someone is an independent professional and sets his or her own rates, I see no need to tip that person.  For example, the lady I go to for waxing works for herself and she always waves off my tips because they're just part of her rate.  So I don't plan on tipping my photographer, musicians, or wedding coordinator, because they are all independent professionals who set their own rates (my wedding coordinator is also the owner of my venue).  There is a mandatory 15% tip on food and beverage at my venue which goes to the waitstaff; I may bump that up to 20%. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users