Iberostar Grand Rose Hall 2012 Brides!!! :-)

Hey Kendra

Yup, don't worry - you are not alone. When my niece got married last year, She expect 40-50, well 100 came. People really seem to like the idea of coming to JA for a wedding.

Port Maria is really large - it can hold up to 150 people. If you have a little over 30, perhaps you can have the reception on the beach. Yes it would cost a bit more, but you wouldn't have to worry too much about decor with the backdrop...just a simple arrangement on each table. Rent a dancefloor and have a DJ or your ipod.

Merrick Cousley was the photographer at my neice's wedding last year. He did a fine job!

Lisa

Originally Posted by lisaeloine View Post

Hey Kendra

Yup, don't worry - you are not alone. When my niece got married last year, She expect 40-50, well 100 came. People really seem to like the idea of coming to JA for a wedding.

Port Maria is really large - it can hold up to 150 people. If you have a little over 30, perhaps you can have the reception on the beach. Yes it would cost a bit more, but you wouldn't have to worry too much about decor with the backdrop...just a simple arrangement on each table. Rent a dancefloor and have a DJ or your ipod.

Merrick Cousley was the photographer at my neice's wedding last year. He did a fine job!

Lisa

Thanks for the info! Ive been considering a few idea including a beach reception for the sake of minimizing costs/ decorations. I have my table decorating ideas figured out and I can bring most of it with me. I wondered if the Port Maria had a balcony/ patio, thinking maybe I can have steel drums and /or a fire eater during or immediately after dinner. I'm thinking this is a non-traditional wedding and it would be good to have some native entertainment. I do not intend to plan for a traditional reception w/ a DJ....we can always head to the on-site nightclub.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kendra,

Port Maria doesn't have a patio. It is kind of like one large covered patio. Sounds like a good option is a beach reception. LOVE the idea of a fire eater. The steel drum is also a great idea. Could also add in limbo dancing where the guests participate. I know this sounds a bit crazy (and you already have your decor), but here are some budget ideas for adding a little drama:

- taking down some good quality colorful table cloths (you might even diy and make them). It is a cheap way to add color. Go to Joanne fabrics if you have to, or look into the cost of renting. Go for something with bold prints. It will show up well in photos.

- consider using lighting. Bring christmas tree lights that can be hung from sticks that "carve out" your area. Alternately, use a few torches. Only use candles if you plan to put them in hurricane lanterns or they may blow out.

- Make it an all-white wedding and have everyone wear white. Since it is such a small wedding, it creates a cool theme and your guests become part of the decor. Warm it up with touches of wicker. Great for pictures. 

You are welcomed to check out my beach destination decor inspirations at Pinterest.com  I have over 100 beach wedding ideas/photos. My exact web address there is http://pinterest.com/lisavernon/beach-destination-weddings/.  (Just paste the link into your browser if the link is not active).

Lisa

Hey Kendra,

Port Maria doesn't have a patio. It is kind of like one large covered patio. Sounds like a good option is a beach reception. LOVE the idea of a fire eater. The steel drum is also a great idea. Could also add in limbo dancing where the guests participate. I know this sounds a bit crazy (and you already have your decor), but here are some budget ideas for adding a little drama:

- taking down some good quality colorful table cloths (you might even diy and make them). It is a cheap way to add color. Go to Joanne fabrics if you have to, or look into the cost of renting. Go for something with bold prints. It will show up well in photos.

- consider using lighting. Bring christmas tree lights that can be hung from sticks that "carve out" your area. Alternately, use a few torches. Only use candles if you plan to put them in hurricane lanterns or they may blow out.

- Make it an all-white wedding and have everyone wear white. Since it is such a small wedding, it creates a cool theme and your guests become part of the decor. Warm it up with touches of wicker. Great for pictures. 

You are welcomed to check out my beach destination decor inspirations at Pinterest.com  I have over 100 beach wedding ideas/photos. My exact web address there is http://pinterest.com/lisavernon/beach-destination-weddings/.  (Just paste the link into your browser if the link is not active).

Lisa

Thank you soooooo much for the pinterest link! The more pics for inspiration the better. Limbo! You are a genious! I have purchased all my table decorations for approximately $100 (thanks to Ross and Garden Ridge), for the quoted price from Tai Flora for what I wanted was ridiculously high. For each hurricane glass idea I wanted it would cost $55 each. I had not considered table cloths (thanks). I thought about the string lights but I wasn't sure if it were as simple as buying Christmas lights or if I needed something fancier. I'm not really sure what light options are out there but I will check them out. Ive decided to make my own flower arrangements for the arch with real to touch flowers, then reusing them for certain aspects of the table decor. Thank you for the ideas, I really appreciate it. I'm happy with the way things are coming together in such a budget- friendly manner ;)

Hi Kendra,

I am sorry I have taken so long to respond! I have had a crazy schedule. :( But, I look forward to sharing ideas with you since you are getting married soon! I promise I will be better in responding. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and can't wait to hear about your plans!!! :-)

Good Site Pictures of the Grand from a lady that was on a forum posted on this website:https://picasaweb.google.com/105892554905965639228/IberostarGrandRoseHall?feat=email#   hope this gives you a good visual.

Yes, everything that all the ladies wrote on here is exactly right. Here are my opinions and the structure of our wedding... I am also trying to keep a relatively reasonable priced wedding (not too high):

Ceremony- (4:30pm-5:00pm) I am also trying to have a non-traditional wedding. :-) We are having it on the beach barefoot. I will be having the ceremony all the way at the end of the beach but its not completely private since folks can walk to the end of the beach. Its not closed off. But, I am having my ceremony at 4:30 PM so there shouldn't be too many folks on the beach......weâ€ll, I hope :) I don't want strangers in my pictures either, that is why I also didn't choose the Suites. I actually stayed at the Suites when I did my site visit and my balcony was facing the wedding arch on the beach. It was awful on how so many folks where just standing around watching the entire ceremony. A lot of strangers in the pictures!!! I understand that folks will stare, but to get up and seriously stand where your guests are sitting is a bit ridiculous for me. :(

I am using a huppa, which will be covered loosely with white sheer fabric. I haven't decided what type of floral arrangement but will have them on the corners of the huppa or where the white sheer fabric will be tied. I will have white roses and purple orchids as my runner. I haven't decided what I want to do for the first chair in each row. I might just close it off with white sheer fabric. I saw a cute idea of putting a starfish on the first chair of each row also. I will put a fan on each chair.. haven't looked for one yet.

I know you mentioned you might consider doing the ceremony on the terrace. The view is the pool. I wanted the beach in the background, so I am taking that risk of having it at the end of the beach and have it more as a sunset wedding. So, if you donâ€t mind the beach in the background the terrace can be very pretty.

Ex:(I kind of liked the strings as a backdrop

584f 386

Aisle(but with white roses mixed in with purple orchids)            chairs for wedding

Cocktail Hour  (5:00pm-7:00pm)- The cocktail hour will be immediately following the ceremony & toasts right on the beach. While the guests are enjoying their cocktails and horsâ€devours, we will take all the pics (family, friends, and then just the two of us). Janielle said that she could provide the high cocktail tables covered in white cloths to put on the beach for folks to have somewhere to place their cocktails. The steel band will play until its time for the reception to begin.

Reception (7:00 pm –11 pm)- Janielle said the reception is from 7pm to 10:30 PM, is that what you were told? I really wanted it to start earlier but Janielle said that the Port Maria doesn't close until 6pm so they need time to turn it around. I am requesting to extend it to 11pm so it will be from 7PM to 11PM and because I am having the steel band for the ceremony and cocktail hour, I will be hiring the DJ for the reception. My DJ is Kevan Stewart. I met with him in person when I did my site visit, and he is awesome! He has done all different types of wedding and has an extensive music selection. The Port Maria is kind of dark since it uses old wooden fans. Personally, that is why I am using the LED battery operated white lanterns to lighten up the area more. I am having approximately 50 guests at my wedding and because the Port Maria is huge, I decided to use the white sheer fabric with purple uplights to close it in a bit and also add color and lighting. I asked if I can get the corner part of the restaurant that is a bit more private and I can keep one side open facing the beach. I am not sure if should do round tables vs. square tables. I am thinking about just using white fabric for the tables and doing a lot of candles and flowers like orchids and touch of other colorful flowers. That is all I have so far. Oh, I am not doing the white covered chairs. I am using the chairs that will have sheer purple fabric as a tie back (see pic).  

I added the pics above that I am using as inspiration for my wedding. We will see how it all comes together..lol! :o)

Who are you using for your photographer and videographer?

Janielle gave me a list of four photographers that I have to choose from. She said the policy has changed for 2012 and you can't hire any outside venders. Have you been told the same?

Here is the list I was given:

Michael Chen

Sungold Photography

Noel Sylvester- He has been the cheapest.

Ivan Luckie

The pics and video are impt to me so I havenâ€t decided yet.

I am also giving out welcome bags to my guest. Still haven't decided all the items I will put in my bags. Ahhh so much planning to still do. I am trying to finalize my invitations now. So many options out there! lol...

Sorry so long... I hope you find this helpful :)

-Kristy

Hi Kendra,

I am sorry I have taken so long to respond! I have had a crazy schedule. :( But, I look forward to sharing ideas with you since you are getting married soon! I promise I will be better in responding. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and can't wait to hear about your plans!!! :-)

Good Site Pictures of the Grand from a lady that was on a forum posted on this website:https://picasaweb.google.com/105892554905965639228/IberostarGrandRoseHall?feat=email#   hope this gives you a good visual.

Yes, everything that all the ladies wrote on here is exactly right. Here are my opinions and the structure of our wedding... I am also trying to keep a relatively reasonable priced wedding (not too high):

Ceremony- (4:30pm-5:00pm) I am also trying to have a non-traditional wedding. :-) We are having it on the beach barefoot. I will be having the ceremony all the way at the end of the beach but its not completely private since folks can walk to the end of the beach. Its not closed off. But, I am having my ceremony at 4:30 PM so there shouldn't be too many folks on the beach......weâ€ll, I hope :) I don't want strangers in my pictures either, that is why I also didn't choose the Suites. I actually stayed at the Suites when I did my site visit and my balcony was facing the wedding arch on the beach. It was awful on how so many folks where just standing around watching the entire ceremony. A lot of strangers in the pictures!!! I understand that folks will stare, but to get up and seriously stand where your guests are sitting is a bit ridiculous for me. :(

I am using a huppa, which will be covered loosely with white sheer fabric. I haven't decided what type of floral arrangement but will have them on the corners of the huppa or where the white sheer fabric will be tied. I will have white roses and purple orchids as my runner. I haven't decided what I want to do for the first chair in each row. I might just close it off with white sheer fabric. I saw a cute idea of putting a starfish on the first chair of each row also. I will put a fan on each chair.. haven't looked for one yet.

I know you mentioned you might consider doing the ceremony on the terrace. The view is the pool. I wanted the beach in the background, so I am taking that risk of having it at the end of the beach and have it more as a sunset wedding. So, if you donâ€t mind the beach in the background the terrace can be very pretty.

Ex:(I kind of liked the strings as a backdrop

584f 386

Aisle(but with white roses mixed in with purple orchids)            chairs for wedding

Cocktail Hour  (5:00pm-7:00pm)- The cocktail hour will be immediately following the ceremony & toasts right on the beach. While the guests are enjoying their cocktails and horsâ€devours, we will take all the pics (family, friends, and then just the two of us). Janielle said that she could provide the high cocktail tables covered in white cloths to put on the beach for folks to have somewhere to place their cocktails. The steel band will play until its time for the reception to begin.

Reception (7:00 pm –11 pm)- Janielle said the reception is from 7pm to 10:30 PM, is that what you were told? I really wanted it to start earlier but Janielle said that the Port Maria doesn't close until 6pm so they need time to turn it around. I am requesting to extend it to 11pm so it will be from 7PM to 11PM and because I am having the steel band for the ceremony and cocktail hour, I will be hiring the DJ for the reception. My DJ is Kevan Stewart. I met with him in person when I did my site visit, and he is awesome! He has done all different types of wedding and has an extensive music selection. The Port Maria is kind of dark since it uses old wooden fans. Personally, that is why I am using the LED battery operated white lanterns to lighten up the area more. I am having approximately 50 guests at my wedding and because the Port Maria is huge, I decided to use the white sheer fabric with purple uplights to close it in a bit and also add color and lighting. I asked if I can get the corner part of the restaurant that is a bit more private and I can keep one side open facing the beach. I am not sure if should do round tables vs. square tables. I am thinking about just using white fabric for the tables and doing a lot of candles and flowers like orchids and touch of other colorful flowers. That is all I have so far. Oh, I am not doing the white covered chairs. I am using the chairs that will have sheer purple fabric as a tie back (see pic).  

I added the pics above that I am using as inspiration for my wedding. We will see how it all comes together..lol! :o)

Janielle gave me a list of four photographers that I have to choose from. She said the policy has changed for 2012 and you can't hire any outside venders. Have you been told the same?

Michael Chen

Sungold Photography

Ivan Luckie

I am also giving out welcome bags to my guest. Still haven't decided all the items I will put in my bags. Ahhh so much planning to still do. I am trying to finalize my invitations now. So many options out there! lol...

-Kristy

Hi Kendra,

Good Site Pictures of the Grand from a lady that was on a forum posted on this website: https://picasaweb.google.com/105892554905965639228/IberostarGrandRoseHall?feat=email# hope this gives you a good visual.

Reception (7:00 pm –11 pm)- Janielle said the reception is from 7pm to 10:30 PM, is that what you were told? I really wanted it to start earlier but Janielle said that the Port Maria doesn't close until 6pm so they need time to turn it around. I am requesting to extend it to 11pm so it will be from 7PM to 11PM and because I am having the steel band for the ceremony and cocktail hour, I will be hiring the DJ for the reception. My DJ is Kevan Stewart. I met with him in person when I did my site visit, and he is awesome! He has done all different types of wedding and has an extensive music selection. The Port Maria is kind of dark since it uses old wooden fans. Personally, that is why I am using the LED battery operated white lanterns to lighten up the area more. I am having approximately 50 guests at my wedding and because the Port Maria is huge, I decided to use the white sheer fabric with purple uplights to close it in a bit and also add color and lighting. I asked if I can get the corner part of the restaurant that is a bit more private and I can keep one side open facing the beach. I am not sure if should do round tables vs. square tables. I am thinking about just using white fabric for the tables and doing a lot of candles and flowers like orchids and touch of other colorful flowers. That is all I have so far. Oh, I am not doing the white covered chairs. I am using the chairs that will have sheer purple fabric as a tie back

Michael Chen

Sungold Photography

Ivan Luckie

-Kristy

P.S. I tried adding my pics to this reply but the website is giving me a hard time. It says it is holding my reply for review. Not sure what that is about.

Pictures I found on the web that are inspiration for my wedding..... I tried adding them to the post above... but it kept giving me an message that it has to be reviewed by the site. lets see if this works...

Ceremony:

CeremonyIdea.jpg

Huppai.jpg

blue%20and%20green%20hawaii%20wedding%20theme%20ceremony%20with%20beth%20and%20brian_small.jpg

Reception:

centerpiece1.png

Chairforwedding.png

Wow, it sounds like you have it all together, thats great!

I plan to do one welcome bag per room; to include a variety of door hanger (do not disturb recooperating from the partying), chapstick, lotion, sunblock, a deck of cards, dominos, popcorn (need to ask about a microwave, gum, antacids, tylenol/ benedryl, flower bombs (package of wildflower seeds to throw anywhere, with the message 'love grows').....ideas welcome

Everyone arrives to the resort the day before the wedding so I intend to have an informal meet and greet that evening at the main attraction/ entertainment event. We intened to buy extra liquor from the airport and take it to the hotel in case we end up sitting up all night talking and hanging out....I sure we will ;)

My ceremony will be on the beach at 5:30pm. Im planning to have the huppa arch as well, with two flower arrangements in the middle of the two front vertical poles where the sheer fabric will be tied. I will more than likely make the flower arrangements with real-to-touch flowers, I have found an example that I really like. I will have white chair covers, Janielle sent my a picture of the chairs, which are black and hard plastic with rounded backs( the kind you would find in a waiting room). Not the white folding chairs as I had expected. That kinda killed my starfish tied to raffia aisle marker idea that I liked, since its supposed to hang from the side of the chair. I havent really put much thought into the aisle runner stuff. We will be doing a sand ceremony with the wedding colors.....I guess.

Afterwards will be the cocktail hour, which I still havent figured out where it will be. We will also take pics during this time. I will personalize a playlist and use the PA system (still figuring out the songs I want).

I have 27 people booked at this time, so the only option we have at this time is to have semi-private reception with one menu option for everyone. I still need to ask if I can have a beachside dinner as well or not. Table decor: small round votive candle holders holding sand and a candle in the middle and hurricane glasses to place shells at the bottle of, then water and a floating candle. Seashells will loosely be placed on the table and I will probably work in the flowers from the huppa as well. I still need to purchase some lights. I am ordering personalized shot glasses as a favor and for everyone to take a shot after dinner ;)

After the dinner I want a steeldrum band, a fire eater and limbo for entertainment. Afterwards, we can go to the club....

I still need to work in the toast....Im hoping to avoid a first dance :/

The following day will be my trash the dress session