Breathe! Here's how I got started, in 3 simple steps:
1) Decide roughly how many people you want to invite.
5? 50? 200? It doesn't have to be an exact count, just a ballpark idea of how big you want your wedding to be.
2) Decide roughly when you want to get married
This winter? Next summer? Again, you don't need an exact date, just a rough idea.
3) Email some hotels for details
I looked up a list of about 10 hotels that I thought looked nice (this site is a great resource!) and I emailed each the following list of questions. You will get an idea of costs and options very quickly this way.
- Can you host X people for a wedding in [your time frame]?
- What is the price range for staying at your hotel in [time frame]? What's included, and are there extra resort fees, taxes, etc.?
- How many weddings do you hold per day?
- What is the cost for holding a ceremony? What ceremony options are available?
- What is the cost for a reception for X people? What are the options for reception location, food, open bar?
- What are our options for DJs, photographers, florists, etc.? Do you have preferred vendors, and is there a fee for using a vendor who's not on your list?
- How do we get to your hotel from the nearest airport? Do you offer airport transfers and if so, what's the cost?
- Is there anything else we need to know?