Photo

Formal Invitations - to send or not to send?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 aprily24

aprily24
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

We are planning a destination wedding to Jamaica in November 2013. Wondering what people's thoughts are on sending out STDs AND formal invitations? If we send out STDs out a 10-12 months in advance, people will likely have to book their travel arrangements before we would send out our formal invitations....I'm wondering what the advantages  are to having formal invitations as well??

#2 heeralalkris

heeralalkris
    • Banned
    • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

wedding dresses
      cocktail dresses
      2012 cocktail dresses
      cocktail dress
      cocktail gown
      Evening Dresses
      Buy Shoulder Wedding Dresses
      buy Best Selling wedding gowns
      sexy wedding dresses
      goddiva party dresses

#3 finleya

finleya
      • 189 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I am sending out both personally. While most will have their travel plans booked already, I want the RSVP's closer to the time when we actually travel so that I can get a final count for OOT bags/etc... A lot of people tend to back out at the last minute, so sending the RSVP's with a formal invite helps me figure out just how many are actually going.

Hope this helps...

#4 TauruSmith

TauruSmith
        • 198 posts
        • Wedding Date:May 18, 2013
        • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I will probably do both for the same reasons. It will help us keep track for OOT bags and favors, etc. closer to the date.

#5 SunsetLove

SunsetLove
        • 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

We sent out STD's with both our DW info and AHR info on it - then we are sending out formal invites for the AHR that are more detailed.

#6 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
          • 955 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

We actually decided not to send out STDs, and will only send formal invitations 10 month in advance.  Since we are aslo putting together a wedding website, we didn't personally see the value in doing both, but I prefer the formality of the wedding invite over the informal STD.

#7 jello

jello
            • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

For what it's worth, I am sending out Save the Dates over 1 year in advance along with a link to our website where people can RSVP online.  I am also planning to send out invitations 3 months in advance, with a RSVP deadline of 2 months in advance.  That way, people can book and RSVP as early as one year in advance if they would like, then at 3 months they get the formal invitation which serves as a reminder, and at 2 months if they haven't RSVP'ed yet I'm calling to bug them. :)

#8 KristinaM

KristinaM
              • VIP Member
              • 3,082 posts
              • Wedding Date:April 18, 2013
              • Wedding Location:Ocean Blue & Sand, Punta Cana
              • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree that it's really a personal decision. There's so many ways to get information out there to your guests: Save the dates, website, formal invites, pre-travel letters/brochures.

I'm personally sending save the dates a year in advance and invitations about 4-5 months in advance.. and probably a pre-travel letter about a month before. I'm also parsing down in that line though- like anyone who says they absolutely aren't going probably won't get a formal invitation, and anyone who RSVPs no won't get a pre-travel letter, etc. It may be overkill but I just love the designs and can't decide between them and it's also helpful to your guests to help give them details and guide them along the way.

I thnk everyone has done it different ways and I'm sure whatever you decide will work out perfectly!

#9 principessa

principessa
              • 219 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

We decided to only do formal invites.

#10 Krys21

Krys21
                • 32 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

We only did an invite, but not very formal and and 8 months before.  We put together a booklet and PDF'd it and sent it out email.  We included in the booklet all of the details of our destination, resort, the wedding and our travel agent information.   We also put an RSVP date dated 2 months before the wedding date.   I got great feedback from everyone about it, and I don't regret not doing formal invitation. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users