Photo

Asking guests to adhere to a dress code for wedding?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

FI and I are (finally!) finishing up our wedding website and I put a question in the FAQ section about dress code for the wedding ceremony / reception.

We would like to ask our guests to consider wearing ALL BEIGE or TAN or NEUTRAL's.

I don't want to sound like an asshole and am at a total loss - has anyone done this (all white or all tan or anything else)?

How / What did you say? If you did this, did all of your guests actually wear the color?

Thanks Girls!

#2 foxytv

foxytv
    • VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

I know several ladies on here have asked their guests to wear white/tan/etc. I'd love to do it but don't really think everyone would comply, since we have a big guest list. I think for an intimate wedding it would probably work ... but I'm afraid for one with more guests than we expected, it wouldn't work ... so I'm not going to risk everyone not wearing those colors ... That said ... the wedings that have doneit and worked -- the pics look SSSOOO FABULOUS!!!

#3 Martha

Martha
      • VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

Hmmmm.....Ours is "Beach Chic" whatever the heck that is. lol
        We have this on our wedding website. We are not going to actually tell them what to wear...but I guess a good way to do it would be to put it on a website. Do you have one?

#4 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

we used beach chic as well and sort of said what we didn't want...like flip flops and board shorts...

but our guests were super relieved to have some direction...it makes it easier for them when they dont have to read your mind.

as a TA, i get sooo many emails from guests asking me what they should wear

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#5 Christine

Christine
        • VIP Member
        • 21,514 posts
        • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
        • Wedding Location:Napa, California
        • LocationReno, NV

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

Didn't Sarah (nursesarah) do something like that too?
        I agree that if I was going to be a guest at a DW I would want to know what to wear.
        In our welcome bags we put a little note about the appropriate attire for each event. Which I copied from Janet's letter.
        Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, nurse sarah did this. She had a small group so it might have been easier.

Some guest might find it annoying, but I think they are more likely to have fun with it too. I think it's too much when people ask all their guest to wear a certain tux or something like that, but a white shirt & khaki pants is easy. If you don't have it already it's easy to get & doesn't have to cost a lot.

#7 Alyssa

Alyssa
          • 11,793 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

yeah we are going to have a pretty intimate group so i think we can pull it off but i don't know what to say - maybe NurseSarah will see this and share her info.

i did a bunch of google searches but came up empty - i think it is the search words i am using.

#8 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
            • Wedding Location:Napa, California
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

http://bestdestinati....ooonnnggg.html

take a look at this, on the bottom of her welcome letter she included the wording. Its right under the close up of the RSVP
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#9 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
            • VIP Member
            • 4,791 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

I think we'll be doing the same thing, asking all the guests to wear white and khaki/neutral/beige. I think the pics turn out so beautiful with this dress code. I've mentioned it to a few family members already and no one seems to have an issue with it.

Sarah did have a great way of wording it that I'll probably steal when the time comes around.

~ Jaime & Martin ~
              "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#10 Lizzy

Lizzy
              • 501 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:09 AM

For Maggie's wedding she wrote on the wed-site that they requested everyone to please consider wearing white, off-white, beige or taupe to the wedding. Then she said something about "unless they wanted to stick out like a sore thumb." This guest list is only family and very close friends, so no one has been offended, except her father -- not at all surprising!
                For the dance, at the reception, Maggie wore her crinoline and a lovely lace top. Looks like Tadd likes it!

Professional Photography by Michael B.www.michaelbstudio.comMinneapolis, MN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users