Anyone out there decorating the complimentary cake?

We're going to just be using the standard complimentary cake at our wedding for economical reasons. It's just so plain and although I'm not super particular about it I would like for it to fit in with the rest of our decor.
Anyone though of ways to just dress up the plain, free cake? I was thinking of bringing flowers down, but I know there are some really creative women out there so I'm hoping some of you guys can help out!

Secrets' included cake is pretty boring!!  I'm not overly concerned about the cake either but I was also looking for ways to dress it up a little.  I'm leaning towards this cake topper from Etsy.  My fiance is an avid mountain biker so I love it :-)  I'm also thinking of putting some flowers to add some color.  I'll ask Valeria how much they'll charge for real ones, but my guess is they'll be too much so I'll just bring a few imitation ones in that case.   

cake topper.jpg

Cute cake topper! I've never seen anything like it. As we're only having ~ 15 people the cake that we'd be provided with is going to be small. I just think it will look pretty sad sitting on the cake table if I don't decorate it somehow. Fake flowers would definitely dress it up & hopefully hide the weird fondant flower they put on top. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:SUBMIT
Originally Posted by KCDawn View Post

Secrets' included cake is pretty boring!!  I'm not overly concerned about the cake either but I was also looking for ways to dress it up a little.  I'm leaning towards this cake topper from Etsy.  My fiance is an avid mountain biker so I love it :-)  I'm also thinking of putting some flowers to add some color.  I'll ask Valeria how much they'll charge for real ones, but my guess is they'll be too much so I'll just bring a few imitation ones in that case.   

cake topper.jpg

Thanks!  The background they took the photo against is a little distracting.  I was going to ask if it was possible to leave the little fondant flower off....or maybe I'll just have someone pull it off :-)

Originally Posted by kristinalilly View Post

Cute cake topper! I've never seen anything like it. As we're only having ~ 15 people the cake that we'd be provided with is going to be small. I just think it will look pretty sad sitting on the cake table if I don't decorate it somehow. Fake flowers would definitely dress it up & hopefully hide the weird fondant flower they put on top. Thanks for sharing!

A fondant flower extraction mission is going to be a definite!

Are you having a small wedding as well? I can't recall if you mentioned that in another post.

Originally Posted by KCDawn View Post

Thanks!  The background they took the photo against is a little distracting.  I was going to ask if it was possible to leave the little fondant flower off....or maybe I'll just have someone pull it off :-)

Ah, so your cake will be relatively large. As we're just having ~ 15 people the cake will be tiny and I think it will just look sad on the table all be itself. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something to make it look like a wedding cake. It's just not worth paying extra for the larger cakes for only 15 people. After the cocktail hr and dinner (and drinking) everyone's probably going to be pretty full...

Originally Posted by KCDawn View PostSUBMIT

Haha!!   It seems like we'll have 30-40 guests.  There are 19 of us booked as of now.

We will have 22 people so our cake will also be relatively small.  We asked the resort about adding flowers to the cake and they said that it would be $25 to add.  I thought that was reasonable and probably less expensive than trying to find a cake topper (although the cake toppers in this thread are all very nice). Since we're trying to keep things on low budget, we decided to go with the flowers.  I think it's worth asking the hotel.