Flowers & Boutonnieres
This was my MOST dreaded project. I geta ll EW just thinking about it, hahaha. But I think it's just because I had zero experience working with fake flowers and doing this sort of thing --- totally out of my comfort zone. I'm SUPER glad I did it though. All of our flowers for the wedding party only cost us $170!
- Flowers you like (I got ours from Michael's and Joann's)
- Flower tape (Michael's)
- Glue gun & sticks
- Ribbon (thicker is better)
- Floral wire cutters
- Dark green stakes (only found in some Michael's stores in the floral section) ***May not be necessary depending on the flowers you choose.***
The women that worked at the different floral counters at Michael's were really helpful in giving me tips on doing these. I suggest picking the flowers you like and then asking them for advice, especially since I'm not expert on this!
I highly recommend getting fabric swatches of your colors to use throughout this whole process. I carried one from my bridesmaid's dresses since that's the hue of teal I wanted for everything. It really helps in the ribbon selection for the flowers!
The bouquets took a very long time --- mine took the longest. I believe it's because of the hydrangea type flowers I selected, though. I also wanted to weave in the small green flowers.
Some of the Process:
I used the wire cutters to cut off all the heads of the flowers (saving some leaves for the bout's). Then, I used the floral tape to attach one hydrangea flower cluster, or one small green flower cluster, to a green stake. It was necessary to hot glue the ends of the floral tape, or the tape would start unraveling. (It's also important to only do one hydrangea cluster per stake because I tried doing three to a stake, and the bouquet became all squished.)
After I had a few stakes together - to form the top middle of the bouquet - I tied them together with floral tape (only a few wraps is sufficient). Then, I added a few more stakes of flowers around that cluster, and tied these all together at the same exact place with the floral tape. I repeated this until the bouquet was the size I wanted. Note: if you do this method with the stakes, it becomes extremely difficult to get a large bouquet. For my bouquet, which was larger than the BM's, I actually made inserts to spread out the stakes at the top (scrunching up bits of printer paper and tying them all around with floral tape). It was super tedious.
The bout's were the easiest part! They are just a very small version of the bouquets.
More of the Process:
We had lots of burlap as a part of our decorations, so I wanted it also in my bouquet and my husband's bout. The burlap is from Michael's floral section, and I just wrapped it around the bouquet and hot glued it. For the ribbon, I simple wrapped it around the bouquet pretty tightly. I didn't have wire ribbon, which may have been easier to use. I didn't like the way the ends of the ribbon looked, so I actually tucked them under as I wrapped. For the end, I just tucked the ribbon ends either at the top or bottom and hot glued them in place.
Then, I just tied a tiny ribbon at the top with a bow, and before I made the bow, I put on the charms (below).
For my bouquet, I also bought Swavorski crystals and pearls from Michael's and hot glued them into some of the flowers. If you do this, it's best to do it every three flowers or so. I really recommend the Swavorski brand so that they look good quality.
Once I finished the ribbon part, I used the wire cutters to cut the ends of the stakes so they looked even. Voila!
I decided to make my own charms since I already had materials to do Dapping with (metal working for jewelry, etc). I bought silver sheets of metal from Michael's and cut them out, then used my alphabet and hammer to make the words. My small alphabet set didn't have any numbers, so I had to make the date using letters! The 8 on the 18 is a bit weird-looking, but I kind of liked it since it added character.
I've had the locket since I was around 8 years old, so it was my Something Old. My Granny and Grandpa were in there since they couldn't be at the wedding (Granny - old age, Grandpa had recently passed away).
These are what I put on the Bridesmaids' charms.
Close-up on the Bout's.