DIY STD'S & Invitations VS. Professional Printing Costs

Hi Everyone! I'm in the very beginning of this whole planning process and expect to have our date set within the next month cheers.gif 

One thing that I'm trying to work on right away is our STD's, hoping to get them out to our guests no sooner than 9 months away from the wedding. I've researched a ton on BDW and one question I have is which way is more cost effective. I know there are many factors to consider, but some advice would be much appreciated! I've already looked into DIY templates, but with all of the paper products and ink we'd need, it may come out to be as much money as having it professionally done.

I really do love the idea of DIY projects, because it has a special personal touch.

But I guess you can say the same about someone else creating your idea for you!

We're expecting to send STD's & invites to roughly 150-175 people, so cost efficiency is key for us.

Thanks in advance for all of your input and advice!

cheer2.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going through the exact same thing!

I want to do the passport style invitations, but I can't decide if I should try doing it myself and risk messing it up, or just get a professional to do them.

I would answer the poll, but at this point I really don't know what is the better priced way to go!  (I have heard from friends though, that DIY costs more especially if you arent' someone who does that normally because you need to buy all the supplies (stamps, Cutouts, INK, paper, Glue etc, etc) and it add's up!

I'm gonna watch and see what the experienced brides have to say about this!!

L

Hi dw! I have heard the same that it becomes quite costly to DIY. I am hoping some ladies on the forum can help in advising what their DIY STD's roughly came out to, so I can at least get an idea. Even if I had some websites to check out with the forum's help to get me started in the right direction. Keep me posted on your findings =)

Hi Jenny,

I did the STDs myself. I ordered the postcards and magnets from VistaPrint ($65 which included 100 magnets & 100 postcards), the paper and envelopes from paperandmore.com ($57 for 100 envelopes, 100 sheets of paper, and the pape cutting to the appropriate size), and spent $6 on the stamp and ink for the flower on the envelope (stamp from Etsy and ink from Michaels). So it came out to about $1.28 per STD not including the postage. I am planning to do my invites myself and will probably order the paper from paperandmore.com as well.

Complete STD.JPG

I like the DIY process, so maybe I'm biased but I loved making my invitations, and the price worked out really well with a bit of research and shopping gradually with coupons.

I DIYed my boarding pass invitations. Here's the price breakdown:

• Boarding passes and monograms on belly bands: Snow White 110lb cardstock, www.cardsandpockets.com, $32/200 sheets
  • Ticket jackets: Tabriz blue 110lb cardstock, www.cardsandpockets.com, $19/100 sheets
  • Black cardstock for belly bands: 65lb, Michaels, $1.50/25 sheets
  • Blue belly band ribbon: $24/6 rolls
  • Envelopes: Nero (black) No. 10 envelopes, www.envelopperinc.com, $23.80/100 (nice heavy quality)
  • Wraparound labels: full page labels, Staples, $6/25 sheets

Total cost: $106

Approximate cost per invitation: $ 1.06

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

The only thing that would increase this cost is the tools (glue/double sided tape, straight cutter, corner punch, bone folder and scoring board), all of which I had before I started but it could increase the cost a bit.

Wow these look amazing! I love DIY projects, and this really shows me for a little bit of money it can come out beautifully!

Erica, how many invites did the above total make? [PS- Your wedding day is my birthday!] Coming up soon, congrats & best wishes!

Thanks for your input! thewave.gif