Share your DIY Barefoot Sandals/Photos Here!

Okay, I posted mine somewhere else, but I will post them here too.

I wanted mine to be a little colourful, but incorporate our blue and coral colours. All of the beads I had already, so they were free.

Summer to September, 2011 245.JPGSummer to September, 2011 247.JPG

I don't have a pic of them packaged, but each went into a little baggie folded over, with a note that says, "A Little Treat For Your Feet"

I only made a pair for me (that is my foot, lol), and one for my bridesmaid, one for my maid of honour, and one for each of the moms. None of them have ever seen anything like this before, so at least they do not have a comparison! Haha!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are super cute! Good job!

I've taken a little break from doing these - after breaking the last pair just before they were finished....lol.

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

Okay, I posted mine somewhere else, but I will post them here too.

I wanted mine to be a little colourful, but incorporate our blue and coral colours. All of the beads I had already, so they were free.

Summer to September, 2011 245.JPGSummer to September, 2011 247.JPG

I don't have a pic of them packaged, but each went into a little baggie folded over, with a note that says, "A Little Treat For Your Feet"

I only made a pair for me (that is my foot, lol), and one for my bridesmaid, one for my maid of honour, and one for each of the moms. None of them have ever seen anything like this before, so at least they do not have a comparison! Haha!

Great thread I am always up for money saving tips. The ones you can buy are so expensive.

How did you go about making these? Did you just experiment getting the length right etc. What material are people using to string the beads on to? Has anyone got instructions on how to make? (sorry for all the questions) :-)

Originally Posted by FuturemrsD View Post

Great thread I am always up for money saving tips. The ones you can buy are so expensive.

How did you go about making these? Did you just experiment getting the length right etc. What material are people using to string the beads on to? Has anyone got instructions on how to make? (sorry for all the questions) :-)

No worries! I am not sure about the other ladies on here, and mine were rather simple, but I can give you a start anyway.

I had some clear line at home. It looks like fishing line, and it is used in quite a few jewelry projects. I have even seen it at the dollar store, so it is not too expensive at all. You can get stretchy stuff (maybe at Michaels in the jewelry making section) for a bit more as an option too. 

I used beads I already had, but if you wanted to do the one with a larger bead (which I think looks pretty cool, but I didn't do), you could do that too. I just played with them, but I will let you know how I did it.

I used my own foot for comparison... My sister (MOH) and I have the same feet, my mom's is the same length but wider and has a much wider ankle, my FMIL has long and slender, and so does BM. If you were doing a whole bunch, or as favours, you would probably need to just guess on sizes.

Okay. I cut the line an approximate length, based on wrapping it around my foot the way I wanted it to go, and adding a little more just to be safe. You can always cut some off... You cannot add more.

Then fold the line in half. This is going to be behind your toe. 

Thread little beads onto the line, making them meet in the middle. When you have enough to go around your toe, add a bead to BOTH ends at the same time (so the line will be parallel to itself). Then push that bead down to meet the ring you created. This joins the two ends and keeps it from moving, so fiddle a little now to make sure it is in the middle.

Then you just add beads to either end, joining every few again with a bead in the centre. This is the part that goes up your foot, so if you wanted to add a big bead, this would be where to do it.

Okay, once you are at a place near where your foot and ankle meet, or where you want to start the line going around your ankle, place one more "joining/centre" bead, and then start adding beads to each end until you are at an appropriate length on each side to go around the ankle. Then joint the ends and fasten. I did this by pushing the same ends through beads on the other side and tying off.

Like I said, I just played around. Someone might be able to give you MUCH better instructions. It is hard to explain without pictures too, but believe me when I say it is actually quite easy.

I would look at lots of pictures first to decide what you want before you start creating. 

If you would like clarification, let me know!