OFFICIAL NOW Jade Wedding Thread

@@KristyLee21 If you are worried about CC security, I've used my CC in Mexico lots, even a small convenience stores, etc. Have never had an issue. If you're talking foreign transaction fees, that's a different story. My resort will let me pay for some costs in advance, so it may be worth asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used a credit card. I wouldn't really really about fraud or anything, most credit cards are protected against them if you have unauthorized usage on them. Our biggest issue was that when we were trying to pay there was a big rainstorm and it was messing the system up so it kept saying the card was declined. We spent a good couple hours trying to pay...and finally had to go down to their accounting room in the basement and pay using the old school method of that little machine that you put your card in and it makes the imprint...it all worked out though! If anything I would say find a credit card that offers you some sort of rewards so you can atleast get something out of that big transaction!

We paid with the Southwest credit card and had a great experience. We got the card ~1.5 years prior to the wedding and had more than enough points points from purchases and their promotional deal to have both of our flights to and from Cancun taken care of. I think in the time we've had the card we've gotten 5 round trip flights off of points.

The card also doesn't have any foreign transaction fees and has a high limit so we were able to use the card to take care of the NJ wedding fees and some of our wedding vendors.

No matter what card you have, I wouldn't worry about using your credit card in Mexico - we used it without any sort of problem. Just be sure to tell your credit card company to expect a large foreign charge or they'll likely decline it out of suspicion. We've had credit cards stolen a few times in the US and had to get replacements (we had to rush order a new SW card because it got stolen 8 days before we left for Mexico), but no fraud has resulted from using it in Mexico.

Hi folks Im just back from my wedding at the Now jade and just a couple of things you mentioned...

@@rachelia160 - My coordinator wasnt Carla however she did help me out on occasions when Pamela was busy and she was always extremely helpful and nice!

@@breezie - Regarding your flowers for your wedding cake, we didnt have to pay extra for flowers and they used flowers to match my bouquet on the top of our cake so I would imagine that asking to use your bouquet flowers is not necessary!

To all the other brides out there, the wedding planners are great!  Although we only had a small party I was very happy and all our party commented on how organised and how smooth it all went.  Everything was super organised to the tee.  Watched a lots of the weddings before ours and they all looked great....they are super good at what they do....beautiful set ups!  I had no complaints with our wedding or the hotel, they organised all the set up just as I asked and they make sure they have everything in hand at the pre wedding meeting.  I would also add that although we had an outside photographer, the hotel photographer took some wedding pics for us after he left and the photos have turned out pretty nice.....maybe I was just lucky!  I would say that in the package its only 24 that is included so you don't get many pictures with your package if you want lots of pictures I think the professional is worth it the extra cash...only get to do this once! :D

Regarding the $1500 per person, we did hit this problem but it was just a case of grabbing a few extra ID's from my parents etc.  We got told that our limit was spent but I think that's in a "official" sense as we still tipped and arranged trips!  

A little tip, I had my wedding dress cleaned over there and it was pretty cheap compared to home.  They had to check they were happy with the material first but worth it!

If anyone has any questions then give me a shout, happy to help!!   We had a fantastic wedding but boy did the time fly! :o

Leigh

• Like 2

@@leggi Thanks for letting me know! :) I'm sure they're all great!

Okay, I know this topic has been beat to death around this site but here I go again....tipping.  I've read some contradicting things on different posts (that you should/shouldn't tip the officiant, DJ, photographer, wait staff, etc.) so if anyone has any opinions on the topic, let me know!

I know some people don't like to get too specific when talking about money on here but I'm going for it - here's what I'm thinking as of now.

Wedding Coordinator: $100

Officiant: $20

DJ (Disco Movil): $20

Wait Staff: Around $100 total, probably about $20 per waiter/bartender

Hair: $15

Makeup: $10

Ceremony Violinist: $20

My questions:

-Is tipping the DJ necessary since they have their own company?

-Same with photographers...I hired Photos in Cancun and I've mostly read that you don't tip photographers who own their own company. Is that correct?

-Should I tip the officiant?

Is there anything that I should do differently?

Here's how I tipped... (right or wrong, no idea!)

Coordinator - Adriana - $150 (loved her!!)

Officiant - Family Member - bought his tie

Photographer - $50 (outside photographer, owned his own business but he was great)

Wait Staff - none (it is already included and I didn't think they needed extra)

Cocktail Hour Bartender - $25 (other guests were already tipping him extra, he was very good)

Hair/Make - 15% (don't remember exact amount)

Guitarist - nothing, planned to but got too busy and never saw him after the ceremony

Bring $1 bills... they go a long way with the staff around the resort. It is nice to tip your house cleaning staff early and they will take care of you the rest of the trip. We made it known to the pool bartenders that we were tippers and we never had an empty glass.

• Like 1

@@rachelia160

I had a legal ceremony and didn't tip the judge or the violinist.....to be honest they had disappeared before I even noticed they were gone!  I didn't tip the photographer as it was his own business. I tipped the girl from the spa that did my hair and makeup...this was all done at the same time by one person.  I also tipped the wedding coordinator and wait staff.  We didnt have a disco, just our own ipod and speaker as it was a small party.  Don't know if that helps as I'm a "foreigner" to tipping, I'm from Scotland and tipping is not the done thing in the UK, only for wait staff, however when in Rome or should I say Mexico...!

Thanks for the advice ladies!

@@Meg32IL THANK YOU for breaking down your numbers for me, that's exactly what I needed! Great advice about tipping the cleaning staff and bartenders. I've had a few of my guests ask me about tipping, since it's not "required" and I wasn't sure exactly what to tell them, but I'm posting this on our Facebook group. I totally think it's worth dropping some singles to get a little special treatment!

I'm thinking I'll add a good tip for the bartender (I'm requesting Darius, I'll even see if I can tip him ahead of time), and maybe I won't tip the officiant, and will base my wait staff tips on performance (like if one of the waiters/bartenders is REALLY going above and beyond).

Hi

Do any past brides know how long it takes to get the video from the hotel photographer? How do they do this is it via an Internet link or do they send a DVD?

Thanks

Leigh

Hi

Do any past brides know how long it takes to get the video from the hotel photographer? How do they do this is it via an Internet link or do they send a DVD?

Thanks

Leigh

I got mine about 3 weeks after we got home. It came via DHL.

• Like 1