Jump to content

Photo

2013 Paradisus Palma Real


  • Please log in to reply
954 replies to this topic

#541 Suzhen

Suzhen
  • Newbie
  • 32 posts

    Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

    Good luck this weekend Erica! Send pics when u get back! I am just 3 weeks away and started to really feel stressed! Suzanne

    #542 EVKnowsitall

    EVKnowsitall
    • Member
    • 593 posts

      Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

      Originally Posted by Kel123073 

      Hi Ladies,

       

      I know some of your big day is fast approaching!  I don't know about you guys but I am getting super excited as well as overwhelmed.

       

      I had my planning call last week.  It went really well we covered a lot.   Lots of food choices on the buffet menu with swaps allowed within reason. I have been finishing up my Message in  a Bottle invites....the DIY from hell!  so I hadn't done that much else.  We are doing the chill out chic package...was wondering what kind of pricing you got for centerpieces.... everything adds up so quickly.  We chose that package partially because we loved the decor and didn't want to have to add much!  Anybody renting the bridal suite? I have a small party and not sure if it was worth it.....  We are staying in the reserve so the suites are large.... I figured I could send my fiance and his son to get ready with my dad and nephew...  Also, what is everyone doing in regards to music for cocktail hour?  Bianca suggested having cocktail hour in the same location as reception so we could add the DJ for an hour, or use an ipod for the cocktail hour.  Would an ipod be cheesy for the cocktail hour.....i think if we did a good mix ahead of time it would be fine probably...

       

      Plus we have a little situation....my sister who is my maid of honor is pregnant, her obgyn said it was fine to fly....she will be about 7 months in july!  Only thing is she got put on bedrest for some issues last week....  I don't know if she will be able to come with her husband and my niece and nephew who are in the bridal party as well..  ahhh the stressors of a destination wedding.... I have seen some of you are going thru issues as well!  We are trying to stay positive!  The baby and my sisters health is most important!!!!  

       

      kelly

       

      Hell yea Kelly I'm super stressed! It's so terrible to say but I kind of wish we eloped and just had an AHR. I thought planning a DW was easier but its tough. It's just as bad- if not a little more excruciating in terms of minor details. First we booked the 15 seats on the group air flight $1500 just to hold the seats (don't get that money back until AFTER the wedding) and that was one hurdle. Then it was the hotel and getting people to pay their room blocks with people dropping and then coming back and then dropping. I really can't even keep track of my guest list because it is ever-changing. Then I lost my MOH (Good riddance) and my Fiance lost two groomsmen. We just recently paid for half of the Aqua Package and our hotel room and a room for our photographer to avoid the $1,000 fee. Basically in the last 4 days, my account has been drained in excess of $6,000. It breaks my heart because I worked so hard to save that money! 

       

      7 months pregnant is a toughie! I hope your sister feels better. I guess everyone deals with their own issues regardless of where or how you plan your wedding. Something always throws you for a loop, you just gotta hang on. Hopefully she gets better and can travel. We are also staying in the reserve so I agree you can forego the bridal suite. Our cocktail hour is on the plaza and our reception on the beach. I liked giving my guests a variety of options to feel like they had an experience. I say the ipod is fine for cocktail hour. People are going to want to take pictures with you guys and mingle anyway- doubt the music will be that big of an issue.

       

       

      We're getting married in Court here first so we have to get the license in a few weeks and then go back for a wedding. Then I have to work between my parish and the parish in DR sine we are having a church wedding. I feel like any waking moment of free time- I am planning something or buying something for our wedding. Soooooo stressful. I just got my AHR invitations today and I absolutely love them. I got them from a vendor who has a banner ad on this website- Invitations by Dawn. The turnaround was unbelievable, but the AHR is just another stress for me. I put my bachelorette party to Ocean City MD square on my credit card- with people reimbursing me back. I spent $950 and have gotten back $117. Oy. Then there's my bridal shower my Matron of Honor insists on having. She had a beautiful confirmation for her daughter in her backyard- rented tables, chairs, a tent, and everything and wants to do the same for me. Im still on the fence with that. But it all adds up to a heaping serving of stress!


      Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

      #543 JillTran

      JillTran
      • Vendor
      • 116 posts

        Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

        Originally Posted by EVKnowsitall 

         

        Hell yea Kelly I'm super stressed! It's so terrible to say but I kind of wish we eloped and just had an AHR. I thought planning a DW was easier but its tough. It's just as bad- if not a little more excruciating in terms of minor details. First we booked the 15 seats on the group air flight $1500 just to hold the seats (don't get that money back until AFTER the wedding) and that was one hurdle. Then it was the hotel and getting people to pay their room blocks with people dropping and then coming back and then dropping. I really can't even keep track of my guest list because it is ever-changing. Then I lost my MOH (Good riddance) and my Fiance lost two groomsmen. We just recently paid for half of the Aqua Package and our hotel room and a room for our photographer to avoid the $1,000 fee. Basically in the last 4 days, my account has been drained in excess of $6,000. It breaks my heart because I worked so hard to save that money! 

         

        7 months pregnant is a toughie! I hope your sister feels better. I guess everyone deals with their own issues regardless of where or how you plan your wedding. Something always throws you for a loop, you just gotta hang on. Hopefully she gets better and can travel. We are also staying in the reserve so I agree you can forego the bridal suite. Our cocktail hour is on the plaza and our reception on the beach. I liked giving my guests a variety of options to feel like they had an experience. I say the ipod is fine for cocktail hour. People are going to want to take pictures with you guys and mingle anyway- doubt the music will be that big of an issue.

         

         

        We're getting married in Court here first so we have to get the license in a few weeks and then go back for a wedding. Then I have to work between my parish and the parish in DR sine we are having a church wedding. I feel like any waking moment of free time- I am planning something or buying something for our wedding. Soooooo stressful. I just got my AHR invitations today and I absolutely love them. I got them from a vendor who has a banner ad on this website- Invitations by Dawn. The turnaround was unbelievable, but the AHR is just another stress for me. I put my bachelorette party to Ocean City MD square on my credit card- with people reimbursing me back. I spent $950 and have gotten back $117. Oy. Then there's my bridal shower my Matron of Honor insists on having. She had a beautiful confirmation for her daughter in her backyard- rented tables, chairs, a tent, and everything and wants to do the same for me. Im still on the fence with that. But it all adds up to a heaping serving of stress!

         

         

        Hey EVKnowsitall, so sorry to hear that you're so stressed out with your DW plans =(. It can be very stressful, as there is a lot of information and little details that need to be planned. It's probably too late now but you definitely should have gotten a travel agent to arrange all the travel details with your guests, that would've been one thing off your plate!

         

        I wish you the best of luck, hang in there, it will all be worth it the day you walk down that aisle, in Punta Cana!

         

        -Jill



        #544 EVKnowsitall

        EVKnowsitall
        • Member
        • 593 posts

          Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

          Originally Posted by JillTran 

           

           

          Hey EVKnowsitall, so sorry to hear that you're so stressed out with your DW plans =(. It can be very stressful, as there is a lot of information and little details that need to be planned. It's probably too late now but you definitely should have gotten a travel agent to arrange all the travel details with your guests, that would've been one thing off your plate!

           

          I wish you the best of luck, hang in there, it will all be worth it the day you walk down that aisle, in Punta Cana!

           

          -Jill

          Thanks Jill- I do have a travel agent and even though she has been wonderful- our guests keep coming to us with questions and we keep referring them to her. Even my mom does this, though I have provided my travel agents number to her multiple times. When its time to pay- people are like "I'll send you the cash or check and you pay the travel agent" She will send them an email with their balances and they will call me. 

           

          Thanks for your kind words though. I'm hanging on for dear life- the process is not easy but I'm sure the outcome will outweigh all the headaches.


          Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

          #545 KKertz

          KKertz
          • Newbie
          • 14 posts

            Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

            Hi ladies!

             

            I feel the need to say that I just had the BEST experience at Sanctuary Resort...so if any of you are reading this because you're still picking a place ( I was between Paradisus and Sanctuary) go check out the Sanctuary thread (http://www.bestdesti...-cana-brides/50)  because they were fantastic.  As cliche and perhaps trite as it sounds...I'll say it anyway...they gave us the wedding of our dreams!!!


            Either way - I wish you luck with your weddings!!!



            #546 MrsShoreytobe

            MrsShoreytobe
            • Jr. Member
            • 315 posts

              Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

              Originally Posted by Kel123073 

              Hi Ladies,

               

              I know some of your big day is fast approaching!  I don't know about you guys but I am getting super excited as well as overwhelmed.

               

              I had my planning call last week.  It went really well we covered a lot.   Lots of food choices on the buffet menu with swaps allowed within reason. I have been finishing up my Message in  a Bottle invites....the DIY from hell!  so I hadn't done that much else.  We are doing the chill out chic package...was wondering what kind of pricing you got for centerpieces.... everything adds up so quickly.  We chose that package partially because we loved the decor and didn't want to have to add much!  Anybody renting the bridal suite? I have a small party and not sure if it was worth it.....  We are staying in the reserve so the suites are large.... I figured I could send my fiance and his son to get ready with my dad and nephew...  Also, what is everyone doing in regards to music for cocktail hour?  Bianca suggested having cocktail hour in the same location as reception so we could add the DJ for an hour, or use an ipod for the cocktail hour.  Would an ipod be cheesy for the cocktail hour.....i think if we did a good mix ahead of time it would be fine probably...

               

              Plus we have a little situation....my sister who is my maid of honor is pregnant, her obgyn said it was fine to fly....she will be about 7 months in july!  Only thing is she got put on bedrest for some issues last week....  I don't know if she will be able to come with her husband and my niece and nephew who are in the bridal party as well..  ahhh the stressors of a destination wedding.... I have seen some of you are going thru issues as well!  We are trying to stay positive!  The baby and my sisters health is most important!!!!  

               

              kelly

              My fiance and I spoke about the whole DJ/service at the reception and we quickly realized we wanted to leave this cost out. An ipod is what tons of brides seem to do; some women on here have family who are DJs and we are the same; my bro in law is one, and I have no doubt that he could help us create a crazy mix of stuff that will keep us going the whole night.

               

              Given that DJs and equipment can bring u up another 1000-1500, I think it's money well saved, but it always depends on what you prioritize and envision for your day :)

              Originally Posted by Kel123073 

              Oh and congrats to all the new brides to be just starting their planning! 

               

              in regards to registering..... We felt funny at first but we have a lot of family who are not attending and my mom still thru me a bridal shower, especially for people who couldn't afford to attend the wedding, she thought it was a nice way for them to be included in some of the festivities!  We registered for a mix of things to update our home since we live together already and we were careful on prices.  Since some people are traveling for the wedding we didn't want to go crazy with big price items.  Pretty much there was something at every price point!

              Hope that helps!

              Ditto on feeling weird about having a registry etc. I was talking with one of my bridesmaids about this in relation to my shower/stagette. I said I'll just rergister us for the honeymoon stuff and then at another location that will suit my fiance and I. I hate to think of people buying us gifts!!



              #547 Kel123073

              Kel123073
              • Site Supporter
              • 189 posts

                Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

                Hey Ev

                 

                thanks for the response!  I know u understand and have been going thru soooo much!  In the end I keep trying to remember the advice of a lot of other destination brides........when you are pulling up to the resort it was all worth while and that they loved their whole experience!  Mysister is doing better.....off bedrest and just taking it easy....as far as my I fell and sprained my ankle pretty badly....lol it could have been worse.....I could have broke it!  so I am trying to see the glass half full!!

                 

                we are only having a symbolic ceremony..... I have friends of friends who got married in DR and they advised us it was too complicated to get married in the church there...... especially since my fiance is divorced!  

                 

                you should not be shelling out all that money for your bachelorette party..... and hoping and waiting to get it back.....that is just no ok......

                 

                I don't even want a bachelorette party but i am going to have one.....it is not planned yet...and I am letting my girlfriends plan that!!!

                 

                again thanks for listening......and keep me posted on what is going on!  I know in the end you are going to have a beautiful wedding......

                 

                kelly



                #548 Kel123073

                Kel123073
                • Site Supporter
                • 189 posts

                  Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

                  Kkertz

                   

                  I am glad you had an amazing experience at sanctuary..... we didn't choose that resort because it was adults only when we were looking......and we have a lot of children included in our wedding.  I am just a little confused why you would post on the paradisus thread about choosing another resort.  I love DR have stayed at several differnet resorts over the years and know that I would be thrilled  with a number of choices for a wedding.....I guess it just seems odd that you are promoting a different resort on our support thread!



                  #549 MrsMartinez2B

                  MrsMartinez2B
                  • Newbie
                  • 14 posts
                  • Wedding Date:August 2, 2014
                  • Wedding Location:Jellyfish Punta Cana
                  • LocationNew York

                  Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

                  Hello,

                   

                  New to the site and a potential PPR bride , I love the way you have all your wedding planning so organized, and I'm about to lose my mind for so many reasons including cost ... BF and I would love to have a religious catholic church , however I keep getting feedback that its very difficult too many restrictions etc  in english  like what you're doing.

                   

                  I'm just curious and hope i'm not be too forward by asking what are you spending in total for your wedding how many guest ... if you dont mind

                   

                  Thank you



                  #550 angelnjewels

                  angelnjewels
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 220 posts

                    Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

                    Good morning ladies! Wishing all of you well..., you are almost there and it's gonna be amazing!!!!! Update on my wedding.... We just mailed out our save the dates. We have 11 months to go. I made mine on shutterfly and also added RSVP cards for people to let us know if they are interested in attending, itf they can't or if they are not sure yet. I know it sounds weird but my father in law came up with the Idea lol Anyway I sent them out business cards made for my TA which is my friends mom!!!! And a note giving price list and information on our wedding. Super excited. But, I got a call from one of my bridesmaids saying that it is way FI expensive and that she may just be with me in spirit. I am happy to hear that now then 6 months later. It is what it is and my fiancĀ© and I have to do what is best for us. No one is really helping us with this so if you can make it great and if not we will miss you but will still enjoy ourselves. I have a back up plan if she can't make it and will ask someone else once she books.... Anyway ladies... Have fun and enjoy, I can't wait to see all of the beautiful pictures, videos or reviews. I am so excited for you all!

                    Can't wait to marry my best friend and love of my life...





                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users