2013 Paradisus Palma Real

What a great idea!!!  I have a ballpark figure but not a definite headcount yet....and I didn't even send out all formal invites yet....We were handing them out slowly since they are message in a bottle and a little pricey to mail.  They really are just more of a formality at this point.... I am pretty lucky most of my family is booked already that said they were coming from the getgo!  

Just a tip....and I am sorry to the travel agents on here and the resort but my family all booked on their own..... much better pricing then the group rates offered from resort directly, and the packages including air offer a much better discount...  Most people paid about $3000 for two adults for a week with direct air from the nyc area!  If your bridesmaid really wants to attend....just tell her to watch packages on expedia, bookit, cheapcarribean etc....Also those traveling with children as the year goes on...they have promotions that first and sometimes second child stays for free! Good Luck!!!

The Palma Real is definitely one of the more exspensive resorts but this is our wedding! and we want people to really have an amazing time....  We have stayed at many all inclusives and this by far was our absolute favorite!  Everything was amazing!!!  

Kelly

Originally Posted by MrsMartinez2B View Post

Hello,

New to the site and a potential PPR bride , I love the way you have all your wedding planning so organized, and I'm about to lose my mind for so many reasons including cost ... BF and I would love to have a religious catholic church , however I keep getting feedback that its very difficult too many restrictions etc  in english  like what you're doing.

I'm just curious and hope i'm not be too forward by asking what are you spending in total for your wedding how many guest ... if you dont mind

Thank you

I don't think its entirely restrictive. More like a pain in the behind. Here's what we had to do:

Register and complete pre-cana classes in our own parish. They give you a certificate for each class that you must complete. There are two sessions. The cost in NYC was about $250.

Show proof of previous sacraments- baptism, communion, and confirmation. Luckily if you grew up in the church, these are all on one paper. If not- you will have to get them from each parish you attended. My fiance was born and baptized in the Dominican Republic so that was a huge pain in the behind. Unfortunately his grandmother passed away and his mom ended up going for the funeral so she went to his church and secured this document for us. We completed the other sacraments as adults 3 years ago together.

A Letter of freedom- from your church granting permission for you to marry in DR.

An Inquiry- an interview with your parish stating you are ready to receive the sacrament of marriage.

Copies need to be faxed or scanned and emailed two months before your wedding to the church. Then, you need to bring the original documents with you when you go to get married so they can add the sacrament of marriage to the certificates. If you legally wed in the court before going you need to also bring a copy of your marriage license.

It sounds harder than it is. If it means a lot to have the ceremony to you, you will do it. I didn't find it difficult- just like any other detail to arrange. I really had my heart set on a traditional Catholic church wedding.

The only thing I was disappointed with was that you cannot walk down to aisle to any pop music ; ( It has to be religious church organ music lol. And the ceremony can be performed in English, Spanish, French, and a few other languages I cannot recall. The priest in the church in Bavaro apparently speaks a bunch of languages. 

Another conflict is arranging transportation there. It's ten minutes away, but other resorts have on-site chapels. We originally considered 2 locations with on-site chapels and althought that was a pro, other things made the resorts cons.

The cost is about $935 dollars with taxes and fees for the Catholic Ceremony. We bought the Aqua package so its $5,000 for 24 guests however, we are at about 40 so thats an extra $2600. We have an outside photographer but he is a guest so we paid him $2800 and his room was $570. We booked him as a guest to avoid the $1000 outside vendor fee. We paid for a DJ so that was another $1,000. Our rooms cost us $2,660 for 2 people and flights were $1000 for us as a couple. With decorations and other details and decor added- the total cost is about $15,000- $20,000 for 40 people. I want to say its closer to $15,000 but I know all sorts of extra things will pop up last minute. I had to get a second job to pay for it all. YIKES! thatswck.gif

I traded my sanity and sleep for some bells and whistles :( lol

Talk about "Stop searching once you find something you love". I loved the church we were getting married in until I found another one. We are getting married at Jesus Al Maestro Parish which is fairly new and has a modern look to it. The outside doesn't look like a church but the inside has an aerial chapel and fans and looks nice and breezy. The other church I came across is called Nuestra senora de pilar. It has that rustic old world charm that I really wanted.

Logistically- it makes sense for us to get married at Jesus Maestro- it is only 7 minutes away from Paradisus. The other church is 35 minutes away. We already have our paperwork arranged for Jesus Maestro. I asked about switching today but I'm not sure we can.

It's like buying your wedding dress- once you have it you should stop looking. I have church regret! lol

I don't think its entirely restrictive. More like a pain in the behind. Here's what we had to do: Register and complete pre-cana classes in our own parish. They give you a certificate for each class that you must complete. There are two sessions. The cost in NYC was about $250. Show proof of previous sacraments- baptism, communion, and confirmation. Luckily if you grew up in the church, these are all on one paper. If not- you will have to get them from each parish you attended. My fiance was born and baptized in the Dominican Republic so that was a huge pain in the behind. Unfortunately his grandmother passed away and his mom ended up going for the funeral so she went to his church and secured this document for us. We completed the other sacraments as adults 3 years ago together. A Letter of freedom- from your church granting permission for you to marry in DR. An Inquiry- an interview with your parish stating you are ready to receive the sacrament of marriage. Copies need to be faxed or scanned and emailed two months before your wedding to the church. Then, you need to bring the original documents with you when you go to get married so they can add the sacrament of marriage to the certificates. If you legally wed in the court before going you need to also bring a copy of your marriage license. It sounds harder than it is. If it means a lot to have the ceremony to you, you will do it. I didn't find it difficult- just like any other detail to arrange. I really had my heart set on a traditional Catholic church wedding. The only thing I was disappointed with was that you cannot walk down to aisle to any pop music ; ( It has to be religious church organ music lol. And the ceremony can be performed in English, Spanish, French, and a few other languages I cannot recall. The priest in the church in Bavaro apparently speaks a bunch of languages.  Another conflict is arranging transportation there. It's ten minutes away, but other resorts have on-site chapels. We originally considered 2 locations with on-site chapels and althought that was a pro, other things made the resorts cons. The cost is about $935 dollars with taxes and fees for the Catholic Ceremony. We bought the Aqua package so its $5,000 for 24 guests however, we are at about 40 so thats an extra $2600. We have an outside photographer but he is a guest so we paid him $2800 and his room was $570. We booked him as a guest to avoid the $1000 outside vendor fee. We paid for a DJ so that was another $1,000. Our rooms cost us $2,660 for 2 people and flights were $1000 for us as a couple. With decorations and other details and decor added- the total cost is about $15,000- $20,000 for 40 people. I want to say its closer to $15,000 but I know all sorts of extra things will pop up last minute. I had to get a second job to pay for it all. YIKES! :thtwck: I traded my sanity and sleep for some bells and whistles :( lol

Hello all, Congrats on your upcoming weddings!!!

We've been trying to pick a resort and location for the last 6 mos. Now that we finally did choose Paradisus Palma Real for 2014 and let our family members know, we found a terrible review on TripAdvisor (Apr. 26th "Don't stay here!!!!") from a recent bride. I am somewhat hesitant about continuing this route as Dreams Palm Beach was our second-best option based on BDW's site. On a side note, I was the type of person who thought you can never please anyone.

Help!! shots.gif

Liz.

Originally Posted by Nena Martinez View Post

Hello all, Congrats on your upcoming weddings!!!

We've been trying to pick a resort and location for the last 6 mos. Now that we finally did choose Paradisus Palma Real for 2014 and let our family members know, we found a terrible review on TripAdvisor (Apr. 26th "Don't stay here!!!!") from a recent bride. I am somewhat hesitant about continuing this route as Dreams Palm Beach was our second-best option based on BDW's site. On a side note, I was the type of person who thought you can never please anyone.

Help!! shots.gif

Liz.

HI

You have to take into consideration that not everyone will be happy or like the resort. I was also between Dreams Palm Beach and PPR and based on the reviews PPR was better. Im from the NYC area and everytime I tell someone Im getting married at PPR the response I get is WOW they are amazing. Speak to your TA and ask her if she has had any clients that have traveled to both resorts and find out what they had to say

Thanks engaged1230, my fiancé & I have come to that conclusion. We are also from NY and recently moved to OH. I will definitely speak with my TA on Monday and see what she has to say. Good luck in your planning.When are you getting married? We are on the initial stages of our planning and I am looking forward learning about any prices and details for the wedding packages. As of now we are considering the Tailor Made Romance, we'll see.

Best of luck!

woot2.gif

Liz.

Hello Nena. Dreams was also in my top 3 but when we went to visit the hotel last August to meet with their wedding planning we had the chance of speaking to a few guests. Guests were being transferred to another hotel because they had overbooked. The hotel gets booked fairly quickly because its so close to the airport. My fiance and I didn't want to take that risk of having our guests seperated. My fiance also thought the rooms at the Paradisus PR were nicer. We did get to see a wedding while we were there and they did a really nice job.

Hi Liz, I saw that review and felt really bad for any brides who haven't been to the resort. If I read that and hadn't stayed there I would be super worried! My fiancé and I stayed in the reserve at ppr about 2 years ago and are getting married there this July! We loved it, we are from the NYC area and have pretty high standards, I think, lol. We chose the resort bc we have personally stayed there and felt overall it would please most guests! Hope it reassures you a little.... Kelly