Huge deposit at hotel-PLEASE advice/experience?

I would find out from your travel agent what the difference is between prebooking and a room block being reserved. Most of the room blocks I've heard brides talk about on here have a deposit per room, but not per person. And, like Tammy said, they have perks---- block xx number of rooms and get a free cocktail hour, or they might waive the fee for a "private" party, etc... And most of the room blocks I've heard brides talking about have a clause that you can release rooms without penalty if it's done by a certain date in the contract. For the rooms that do get booked, the deposit they paid was then applied toward the wedding expenses at the resort.

I personally, WILL do a room block if we have the wedding at an AI. We will have about 50 people going with us, and I want to do whatever I can to make sure that guests aren't forced too book with other hotels because our resort is filled up, which would wind up costing us more money because we'd then have to pay for their day passes to attend the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
Tammy, I'm confused now... My TA told me that she has 40 rooms reserved at a certain rate. Also, she has a deal with them that I get a free room for every 25 people booked. Why didn't she or I have to put a deposit down?
did she have you sign any sort of contract...usually hotels will write a contract to block rooms. it is very rare for them NOT to have a contract and have a deposit especially for 40 rooms.

i would ask for proof that these rooms are blocked...don't you want to know what the terms are that the rooms are being held at (ie. rate, deposit, pay date, etc).

i have done group blocks w/o deposit or contract but it was because they were only for 10-15 rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by host View Post
did she have you sign any sort of contract...usually hotels will write a contract to block rooms. it is very rare for them NOT to have a contract and have a deposit especially for 40 rooms.

i would ask for proof that these rooms are blocked...don't you want to know what the terms are that the rooms are being held at (ie. rate, deposit, pay date, etc).

i have done group blocks w/o deposit or contract but it was because they were only for 10-15 rooms.
Tammy, I think that my TA signed a contract, but I will check with her to make sure. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBride View Post
My TA blocked 20 rooms for us without a deposit. Our resort is so large (856 rooms) and the travel agency I booked through (Liberty Travel) is so large that they get an allotment of rooms. My TA held all of the rooms in Liberty's allotment for my guests. They paid a $75.00 per person deposit as they booked. Some rooms were held for months without a deposit. She just booked the rooms and made sure any not being used were cancelled before the cancellation penalties went into effect (which isn't even till 2 weeks prior to travel but we used all the rooms in our block). I had no obligation if these rooms did not get booked. Riu does offer a perk if you sign a contract with their group department. That is what you were talking about although I believe it is a free room for every 25 rooms booked not people. Our TA still honored this offer even though we did not sign the group contract. She also only charged the net rate for the bride and groom's airfare and room and upgraded my parents to a Jr. Suite. Shee also accidentally misquoted my uncle the price for 4 nights when he asked for 5 and she still honored the lower rate she had told him over the phone.

Sooooo, it is possible to have rooms blocked without a contract.

Thanks for explaining all of that, Mo! That is sort of what my TA said about the cancellations...she is telling all of my guests that they can cancel up to 2 months prior (even though it's really only a few weeks), so that no penalties are incurred. I know that she is working with the group sales department.

No, no, no. You do not have to put down a deposit. They are just trying to make $12 grand off you!

Have your guests call up the travel agent or you and book individually. Cuase you do not know how many people are going to come.

if the agent harrasses you, find a new one.

monkey.gif