Jump to content

Photo

Huge deposit at hotel-PLEASE advice/experience?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lovefreddy

lovefreddy
  • Newbie
  • 148 posts

    Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

    okay ladies I am about to book at azul and have about 60 guests coming. In order to prebook the rooms (there are only 98 rooms in the whole hotel so I need to make sure guests have a room) my travel agent is telling me I have to put a deposit down of 200.00 dollars a person which will be charged to my credit card and then returned once the room are actually booked by the guests. Do the math....12,000 dollars. what is your ladies experience with putting deposits down to prebook rooms??
    *REMOVED DUE TO EXCESSIVE SIZE*

    #2 Spazz

    Spazz
    • VIP Member
    • 10,482 posts

      Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

      I did not have to do this. I have 65+ guests coming and they each had to put down a deposit with my TA to reserve their spot, but she hasn't even given a deposit to the RIU yet. She said their deposit was more so she knew who was really serious and committed to coming. She somehow has reserved a block of rooms, but the deposit isn't due for a few months. I'm not sure how TAs work, but this seems like a good deal to me as I would be very nervous putting that much money down!

      #3 Sharonie

      Sharonie
      • Member
      • 557 posts

        Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

        My TA adviced me against signing a contract (prebooking) with the resort for my guests. So we only put down deposits for ourselves, gave TA info to all the guests and let them do their own booking.

        #4 Adamsgrrl

        Adamsgrrl
        • Jr. Member
        • 466 posts

          Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by TropicalIslandBride
          My TA adviced me against signing a contract (prebooking) with the resort for my guests. So we only put down deposits for ourselves, gave TA info to all the guests and let them do their own booking.
          I agree you should not have to prebook for anyone other than yourselves. If you do you will be responsible for those guests who decide not to come. Tell your TA you will not do this. She should have an alternative. If not, don't use her.

          #5 Wisco4

          Wisco4
          • Member
          • 666 posts

            Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

            Sounds to me like she just wants to insure that the $ gets in right away but normally your guests should be responsible for their own deposits.
            ~Amanda

            #6 chicago88

            chicago88
            • Member
            • 699 posts

              Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

              I would definitely NOT do this. I have never heard of putting down a deposit for all the guests going. What if they don't go?? Definitely tell your TA you would like to do it another way or definitely get another TA!!!



              Therese & Jay
              Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
              http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

              #7 IrieBride08

              IrieBride08
              • Member
              • 716 posts

                Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

                I agree that $200 per person sounds too high! I do have a contract with my resort and we only put down a 10% deposit for a 20 room reservation. We plan to get that back as our guests reserve their rooms though. We paid about $2,400 for the deposit.

                #8 TammyWright

                TammyWright

                  Admin & Owner

                • Administrators
                • 11,659 posts
                • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

                Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

                sh*t...i totally responded and the server went down.
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by lovefreddy
                okay ladies I am about to book at azul and have about 60 guests coming. In order to prebook the rooms (there are only 98 rooms in the whole hotel so I need to make sure guests have a room) my travel agent is telling me I have to put a deposit down of 200.00 dollars a person which will be charged to my credit card and then returned once the room are actually booked by the guests. Do the math....12,000 dollars. what is your ladies experience with putting deposits down to prebook rooms??
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Lizz
                I did not have to do this. I have 65+ guests coming and they each had to put down a deposit with my TA to reserve their spot, but she hasn't even given a deposit to the RIU yet. She said their deposit was more so she knew who was really serious and committed to coming. She somehow has reserved a block of rooms, but the deposit isn't due for a few months. I'm not sure how TAs work, but this seems like a good deal to me as I would be very nervous putting that much money down!
                this is very differnt than a group block. a block is when you reserve a bunch of rooms before your guests start to call (sometime months before they start to call). this is just a regular reservation that your TA is doing...the rate is not guaranteed or even the room availibity

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Adamsgrrl
                I agree you should not have to prebook for anyone other than yourselves. If you do you will be responsible for those guests who decide not to come. Tell your TA you will not do this. She should have an alternative. If not, don't use her.
                i disagree with this...sometimes at the more popular resorts the hotel books very far in advance. if you do not block rooms you risk some or most of your guests not getting a room...for example, once again dreams cabo is almost booked full for may 2008 (that is 8 months away)...how many people have sent out invitations much less have guests booking 8 months in advance...w/o a group block your guests would not have rooms. you really need to see what will work best for you and your group. are your guests procrastinators and will wait until the last minute to book? then block rooms.

                also, people dont relaize that there are perks to doing a group block like:
                * free site visit
                * free private events
                * VIP treatment
                * blocked rooms at a fixed rate!


                Quote:
                Originally Posted by IrieBride08
                I agree that $200 per person sounds too high! I do have a contract with my resort and we only put down a 10% deposit for a 20 room reservation. We plan to get that back as our guests reserve their rooms though. We paid about $2,400 for the deposit.
                $200 is on the high side but not unheard of. have you thought of a compromise and maybe not block as many rooms so you pay a smaller deposit.

                there are pros and cons to a group block and you really need to assess your situation and group to see what the best route for you is. i never tell my clients to go one way or another and try to talk and counsel them to see what will work best for their situation.

                Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

                 
                Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
                 
                Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
                Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
                Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


                #9 LisaG

                LisaG
                • VIP Member
                • 7,839 posts

                  Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

                  Dreams Tulum also wanted $200 per person to block rooms. We decided against it and just had our guest book as they wanted, with the risk of not having a room at our hotel.

                  #10 Spazz

                  Spazz
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,482 posts

                    Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by host
                    this is very differnt than a group block. a block is when you reserve a bunch of rooms before your guests start to call (sometime months before they start to call). this is just a regular reservation that your TA is doing...the rate is not guaranteed or even the room availibity
                    Tammy, I'm confused now... My TA told me that she has 40 rooms reserved at a certain rate. Also, she has a deal with them that I get a free room for every 25 people booked. Why didn't she or I have to put a deposit down?




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users