Half Moon June 2013

About Us

We met in college and have been living together...really growing up together... for about six years.  Jenna is a special education teacher in a county school system and Brent is restaurant manager for a successful corporation.  We usually go one one vacation in the summer to a tropical beach location and go the all inclusive route.  We are big foodies and drinkers so this is usually the best option for us.  Jenna has a very large and involved Italian family and Brent has a smaller less involved Irish family.  We decided on a destination wedding to eliminate some of the stress and ridiculousness that accompanies a tradition wedding at home. We decided on Jamaica due to the short, inexpensive flight, all inclusive option, English speaking and documentation, fairly easy legal marriage process and because we have never been there. Jenna's parents are contributing a significant amount of money toward the cost of the wedding.  Brent's family is having some financial hardships and are less excited about the destination wedding concept.  (major disappointment for us)    

We Decided

After a few months of research we decided to have our wedding in June 2013 at Half Moon in Mo-Bay Jamaica.  We wanted to keep the guest's costs as low as possible and offer an all inclusive option.  We only have 2 children that will be invited to the wedding, but we wanted to make sure they were included so we needed a resort that allowed children.  We compared Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, Hilton Rose Hall and Couples Swept Away Negril.  Ultimately we fell in love with Half Moon for the exceptional customer service, beautiful wedding venues and unique Jamaican experience.

Post Here

We would like to use this post to share information for any past, present or future Half Moon weddings.  We will post information as we receive it, but we are really hoping to connect with other couples that have had their wedding at Half Moon or are in the planning process.

Our Wedding

As of right now, we are working with a AAA travel agent, Kim, to get the best room and wedding rates and to help us coordinate booking with our guests.  We are expecting about 50 guests to attend (mostly family) So far this is what we are thinking:

Time Line 2013

Thursday June 20

Bride and Groom Arrive

Meet With Coordinator

Assemble and Distribute Welcome Baskets

Friday June 21

Guests Arrive

Welcome Reception

Saturday June 22

Group Excursion (day)

Bachelor/ette Parties (night)

Sunday June 23

Wedding

Late Night Beach Bon Fire

Monday June 24

Far well Brunch

Guests Depart

Thursday June 27

Bride and Groom Depart

Price

Service

$162 per all inclusive guest

Eat, Drink and Be Married Package

Ceremony set-up

Officiant

4 hour open bar

Cocktail hour (hors d†oeuvres?)

Champagne toast

Wine with dinner

3 course plated dinner

Wedding cake (tiered?)

$540

Photography

$750

DJ

during reception

$426

Steel Band

1 hour ceremony and cocktail

$350

Fire Eater

reception entertainment

$250

Bouquets

$500

Bon Fire

after reception

Additional Information 

Below is the information sent to us by Danielle; regional wedding coordinator at Half Moon.  There is a group discount for rooms, suits and villas as well as discounts on the package prices if your guests are all inclusive.  

Romance Sales Kit.pdf

The Iconic Wedding Collection - Half Moon.pdf

Wedding Event Services 2011-12.pdf

Photography Options for 2012.pdf

• Like 3

After talking with Danielle, we decided not to use our travel agent.  She would have needed to add 10% to the guest price for her commission.  Currently waiting to hear back from Danielle to finalize some details and sign a contract!

We are thinking of sending out a save-the-date email to get a good estimate of the number of guests planning to attend, but I think that may be a waste of time.  We know the room costs and they will not change based on the number of guests.  I'm starting to think it may be better to create a wedding website with all of our necessary information and send out formal invites in June.  (one year ahead)  We will give guests a window that they need to send a deposit to Danielle to secure their room.  If they haven't given their deposit by the designated date we will know they are not coming.  Still thinking about this though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!!

My fiance and I decided on the Oleander Room at Half Moon and were so excited!!

We decided to start up a website, we chose ewedding.com to keep people updated and in the look with our plans and its less stressful because they can check it out on the own time when it convenient for them. Also were just sending out invitations and our guests can RSVP on the website.

A travel agent is unnecessary costs, i found that my wedding planner that came with the wedding package has been taking care of a lot of the details as far as rooms and coordinating anything i need.... we committed to filling 10 rooms and if we go over thats fine for the same price but we have to fill up at least 10 rooms, and with a min of 40 people coming it shouldnt be a problem. 

anyway let me know if there are any questions... 

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at Half Moon and Iberostar Rose Hall Suites (they allow kids at the suites, not the Grand). What made you pick HM? I just sent an email to the WC this am and then I found this post. Such helpful info! I love your wedding ideas - your timeline and plans for wedding and reception seem like something I would do. I love the steel drums, had them when I was in Negril last year! Such a Jamaican experience. I like the fire eater idea too, even though my FI hates the idea. We plan to get big lanterns and have everyone release them into the sky too. I am in love with the ceremony location options at HM but I'm nervous it might be expensive? What about in terms of price, did you find it less expensive or more? I feel like $162 is a lot especially because the guests are all-inclusive anyways? How many people are you expecting? Or think you will be having?

We are looking at Half Moon and Iberostar Rose Hall Suites (they allow kids at the suites, not the Grand). What made you pick HM? I just sent an email to the WC this am and then I found this post. Such helpful info! I love your wedding ideas - your timeline and plans for wedding and reception seem like something I would do. I love the steel drums, had them when I was in Negril last year! Such a Jamaican experience. I like the fire eater idea too, even though my FI hates the idea. We plan to get big lanterns and have everyone release them into the sky too. I am in love with the ceremony location options at HM but I'm nervous it might be expensive? What about in terms of price, did you find it less expensive or more? I feel like $162 is a lot especially because the guests are all-inclusive anyways? How many people are you expecting? Or think you will be having?

The date will be June 23, 2013 and the place will be Half Moon!  We sent out save the dates to 70 family members and recieved back 30 definte yesses.  We are still not sure about the ceremony locations but the reception will be at the Sugar Mill with those ahhhmazing lanterns in the trees!  Now we are looking into excursion options and working with our Half Moon connections in Jamaica to finalize the details and create a website for our guests to reference (highly recommend weddingwindow.com).

We keep going back and forth. I hope your right - that once we decide it'll be less stressful!  Our parents love the ideas of the Villas at Half Moon... I completely agree about the lanterns at Sugar Mill too.  I am in love with the wedding and reception locations at Half Moon - definetly the best I have seen compared to the other resorts!  Especially because we don't want to get married ON the beach... just with a view of the beach!

So when you signed your contract you had to pay the deposit right.... how did you know approx. how many guests?  Did you actually send save the dates out?  Or just asked around.  I would hate to put a deposit down and guarantee the resort a certain number of people and then not be able to meet it....

That is so weird.. we don't want to get married on the beach either! haha We actually sent out save the dates in an informal email poem thing and asked guests to reply back yes if they were ninty to one hundred percent certain they wanted to attend. We didn't tell them the name of the hotel or alot of details; just that we were planning to go to Jamaica. the dates and estimated costs for them. We explained that we needed a min number and not to worry if they had to say no right now. We are still going to sed out formal invites in the summer to everyone, but that really gave us a good idea as far as the number. It was a little unconventional, but most people were really excited and felt like they were planning the wedding with us. You also have to block out rooms in your contract so if you decide on Half Moon I would recommend asking guests which type of room they would like and ask them to look on the website. You get a group discount on rooms but only in the rooms you block out. So if someone wants a suite an you only blocked reg rooms ornall villas then they are out of luck. Just one more thing to think about! Let me know if you have any other questions! I know it's hard to find Half Moon brides. I only found one on here and I think she actually was getting married this month. Can't wait to hear what she has to say!

WOW!  That is SUCH a good idea!  Might have to steal that from you... We were thinking the same thing - how to know exactly how many people to expect.  People always tell you they want to go but you never truly know until they book it.

Do you know what rooms you are going to stay in?  Originally we wanted the villas but just learned today that the villas a re a 5-10 minute golf cart ride from the main part of the hotel?   But the golf carts are included in the villa price so that is always fun!  We also read that the villas don't have direct beach access, that you have to go to the main part of the hotel?  That worries me a little about the villas but I don't know if it is true?  I just emailed Tashane about it asking her.  I love the beach and if I am flying to the Caribbean, I want ocean views outside my room and the beach all of 2 steps away.

We really loved the villas too, but when our family started replying we found out that they weren't too interested in staying in the villas.  I know there are beach front villas, but the are more expensive. Most of us want to be near the beach and I think a lot of the rooms/suites are ocean view or ocean front.  We love the ocean front hibiscus suite :)  We also didn't pick the villas b/c we wanted to go to the swim up bar and spend a lot of time socializing and we felt like we might miss out on that if each family was holed up in their own villa.  The villas do look really beautiful and it seems like a great idea!