Did you manage to get any alone time after your destination wedding?

We really wanted to switch to a sister property after the wedding but it was sort of an afterthought.  By the time I remembered, it was too late. They are booked up for the week we need :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

We used a travel agent and referred our guests to her as well. She offered our guests 4-6 night night options. Our trip will be 8/1/12-8/10/12. We asked that she schedule the trip options for our guests to leave Cancun on 8/6/12. This would ensure we got time alone without having to pack up and move to another resort.

My future in laws have very generously offered to pay for us to stay at one of their timeshares at a luxury resort about 2 hrs away from our wedding resort. This worked out perfectly as we really wanted some alone time after the big day and wanted to see that part of the island. We arrive to the wedding resort on Tuesday, the wedding is on Friday, and we leave to our honeymoon resort on Sunday. Many of our guests are staying at the wedding resort for afew days after us so at least we'll be able to spend time with them all.

We are all flying in on a Thursday, wedding on Tuesday. Guests will be leaving 2 days later (on the Thursday) and then we will be staying an extra week at our resort. So I won't mind hanging out with them for 2 days cause we still have a full week for just us.

I am pretty sure that my fiance and I aren't going to get ANY alone time after our wedding, a lot of our friends have mentioned that they are thinking about making a real vacation out of our wedding. Honestly though we are fine with it, we are both from Boston, went to college in Colorado, and are living in Arizona ~ so it's not often that we get to see our closest friends and family. We're excited about getting to spend a week celebrating and partying with our favorite people in the world. 

We had the same dilemma. Just got married last month and we were in Mexico for a little over 2 weeks, with 31 guests. 1st 3 days in a non AI resort to get some shopping and things done. Several guests stayed there before checking into our "wedding" hotel to save some money and they were a great help with anything we had to do...probably the most relaxing part of the pre wedding week.  We were then at Excellence Playa Mujeres for 7 nights staying 2 nights after the wedding and everyone was there by Thursday (wedding was on Sat). Most people checked out on Sunday...alllllll of them said they should have stayed till Monday-something to suggest to guests. There were about 7 of us left  there until we checked out on Tuesday.  We then went to Zoetry for the Honeymoon for 5 more nights.

We purposely chose a spa like, more boutique style resort to wind down after the craziness of the wedding and could also be alone if people were staying the week after the wedding. Well, although Zoetry was a fantastic resort, we REALLY missed Excellence and probably would have gone back if the honeymoon weren't already prepaid! So my suggestion is this...if you do decide to go to another resort, make sure it's something of a similar speed to the one you had the wedding, or just stay where you are....maybe in an upgraded room or "club" area. Most of your guests will probably be gone a few days after(and you can even ask them to vacation the week before if you really want to-they'll understand.) Everyone will already know you in the resort you had the wedding, and you'll be able to spend time enjoying the resort doing non-wedding things. You'll be amazed how fast the time goes and 99.99% of it will be "Wedding". This would be your time to do the excursions, go to the different restaurants you missed, take the cooking class, etc...    

We were worried about the same thing and on the cruise that we are doing for the wedding there isn't really the ability to change to a different hotel so we decided to do a Back to Back cruise....first 7 day cruise will be for family and friends and will have the ceremony and all in it and then they all leave the ship and we stay on for another 7 days and go to three new places.....it actually saves us money as well because we don't have to pay for airfare again for a honeymoon that we can both enjoy. 

Also the first week on the ship we are getting a balcony cabin and the second week we are going to splurge and get ourselves a spa cabin that comes with access to the spa...

I think it is really important for us to be able to spend the first week with our guests and family having a great time and then the second week enjoying each other.

We are staying 9 nights at the resort. I am sure we will manage some alone time during that period. I think that many of the guests are going as much for a great vacation as they are for our wedding. We don't have children and we work roughly the same hours so we get a lot of alone time already. So I am not overly concerned with getting alone time with my man.

When planning our wedding I was adamant that we would have the couple of days after the wedding and before returning home as a mini-honeymoon alone and booked a place several miles from where everyone else was staying for our wedding night and the last few nights. At the last minute I switched the reservation to a place closer so that I at least had the option of popping in if we decided to. Sure enough the day after our wedding I woke up thinking about who was leaving that day and who was doing what and wanting to say goodbye and check in on my mom, etc. We ended up spending the last days of our trip mostly hanging with everyone else and had very little time alone but I am happy for how it worked out. The destination wedding was so intense in that I felt so close to everyone who was there afterwards and just felt weird "abandoning" them. However, I am happy that we at least stayed somewhere else so at the end of the night we had our own pool and area to go to and since it was a small inn we had a ton of privacy!