Engaged & excited to start planning our destination wedding! But I need help!!!

Thanks ladies for all the ideas. We are going to be taking a trip over there this fall in order to look at the top resorts that we like. So far I really love the Gran Porto Real, because of the Catholic chapel that they have.

Once we pick and confirm the location I am going to create a website and for our Christmas cards I am going officially announce the engagement and include our website.

Thank you again girls! best of luck to you all..

that chapel does look beautiful. I'm curious if you can use it if you stay at any of the Real properties? the most important distinction will be the resorts allowing guests under 16. both the Royal Cancun and the Royal Playa del Carmen are 16+, whereas kids are welcome at the Gran Porto Real in Playa and the Gran Caribe Real in Cancun. the chapel is important but you'll also want think about where you're staying during your time in Mexico.

also, I think there's a nice chapel in Playa del Carmen. I don't think it's oceanfront (certainly not to the level of the Real Resort chapel), but it's an idea.

best of luck to you - keep reading reviews and searching on here so you can plan your trip this fall.

-kelly 

Originally Posted by Frances2010 View Post

Thanks ladies for all the ideas. We are going to be taking a trip over there this fall in order to look at the top resorts that we like. So far I really love the Gran Porto Real, because of the Catholic chapel that they have.

Once we pick and confirm the location I am going to create a website and for our Christmas cards I am going officially announce the engagement and include our website.

Thank you again girls! best of luck to you all..

Congratulations and beautiful area! I love the Riviera Maya!

We too are having a long engagement. It will be two years. A little less than a year and a half left, now!

We knew, even before getting engaged, that we were going to have a destination wedding, and we have been completely upfront about that to our friends and family since day 1. For us, we needed to get married during summer months (I'm a teacher... built in time off), and one year wasn't enough time to save up enough money. Some people have really appreciated the early notice.... even if they do not go, they know about it and can book vacation time and save money if needed.

We made a website and forwarded it to our close friends and family, but we have to wait a bit longer still before booking for sure... As soon as we book, we are sending out save the dates. Then, about 8 months out or so, we will send out invitations. At least, that is the plan.

Some people will respond negatively to different aspects of your wedding. I have heard some pretty nasty stuff about having a long engagement, and, even moreso, about having a destination wedding. But, by being completely upfront about it since the beginning, we can always say, "Well, it's not like they didn't know...."  lol. People who want to be there will, if possible, make the effort to start saving money and such. Other people won't.

I definitely don't think it is too early to start looking at stuff. I have been making a few things and picking up odds and ends here and there.... and looking at lots of pictures! Enjoy your engagement... it is somewhat stressful, but SO much fun too!

I only hope I continue to say that over the next year and a half!

Again, congratulations!!!

omg, I remember that!! one of my friends said to me, "you don't want to have a long engagement because then people think you can't afford your wedding." and my response was, "EXACTLY!!" it wasn't the only reason, but it was one of several - including allowing our guests to save money in that time (none did, but at least this way, I have no regrets). and now everything will be paid in cash, so we won. ; )

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

Congratulations and beautiful area! I love the Riviera Maya!

We too are having a long engagement. It will be two years. A little less than a year and a half left, now!

We knew, even before getting engaged, that we were going to have a destination wedding, and we have been completely upfront about that to our friends and family since day 1. For us, we needed to get married during summer months (I'm a teacher... built in time off), and one year wasn't enough time to save up enough money. Some people have really appreciated the early notice.... even if they do not go, they know about it and can book vacation time and save money if needed.

We made a website and forwarded it to our close friends and family, but we have to wait a bit longer still before booking for sure... As soon as we book, we are sending out save the dates. Then, about 8 months out or so, we will send out invitations. At least, that is the plan.

Some people will respond negatively to different aspects of your wedding. I have heard some pretty nasty stuff about having a long engagement, and, even moreso, about having a destination wedding. But, by being completely upfront about it since the beginning, we can always say, "Well, it's not like they didn't know...."  lol. People who want to be there will, if possible, make the effort to start saving money and such. Other people won't.

I definitely don't think it is too early to start looking at stuff. I have been making a few things and picking up odds and ends here and there.... and looking at lots of pictures! Enjoy your engagement... it is somewhat stressful, but SO much fun too!

I only hope I continue to say that over the next year and a half!

Again, congratulations!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There, and Welcome.

We got engaged on a Carnival Cruise ship in April 2010 - and right away decided to get married in 2012 to pay off some of our debt, we didn't want to go MORE into debt for the wedding. In March 2011 we decided to get married on a Carnival Cruise ship and asked some important people if they would join us (my dad, his mom) and once they said yes we told everyone close to us (wedding party, siblings) and others just booked because they like the sound of a cruise anyway.

Now it is February 2012 and all of my friends who were telling me in March/April 2011 "oh there's over a YEAR to the wedding we have LOTS of time to save money" are almost all now crying over expenses.. so I would say once you book somewhere and are able to give people some $$ figures.. sooner the better.