My fiance and I are planning a destination wedding for December 2012. We are in the midst of securing a date with a resort. We chose a DW for a number of reasons:
1) We love to travel.
2) We love how love seems to be in the air whenever we have gone away somewhere south.
3) We wanted to remove some of the stress (and cost) associated with a local wedding.
4) I wasn't moved by the idea of having a crazy busy day, that is one of the most memorable days of your lives, and then waking up the next day and being back to reality... I would like to drag out memorable day into a week... or two.
5) We are really looking forward to having a week away with our closest friends and family. Some of my family members have never had the opportunity to go away on vacation (my parents, grandparents, and siblings) so this is the perfect excuse for everyone to get away and give themselves something they deserve!
6) Bored by the idea of a local wedding.
7) We have seen DWs, and they have looked absolutely remarkable.
We can't wait for our special day, and to be able to spend that much more time with our loved ones. We like to think of it as bonding time, with a party element, and for just a day, a wedding will break out.
Good luck with your planning! and Congratulations on the engagement!