Jump to content

Photo

2013 Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Brides


  • Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#321 Kassi22

Kassi22
  • Newbie
  • 135 posts

    Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

    Originally Posted by allieplask 

    Noticed someone mention a private dinner for 50 guests.... I'm looking at the paperwork that I have and it says that for a private reception you can use Mare Nostrum for 40-50 people, Calabash for 70-100 people and Aunt Ruby's for 100-200 people.  I don't see a problem in us having 70 guests for Calabash (we are at 60 right now) but if you are between 50-70 what do you do?

     

    Also, I think I know the answer but I've been a lot of disco talk recently... if you rent the restaurant for your reception you are able to have the DJ and a dance floor in the restaurant, right?

     



    I will have around 60ish guest and we are planning on having our dinner at the Calabash. I was told that if you have less then 70 you can't have a private reception (4 hours) however we can have a Semi-Private which we will have the restaurant to ourselves for 2 hours. With the semi-private you can set up the sound system and have a DJ, so I assume its the same for the Private. They say you can have room for dancing, depending on the amount of people. If you had 100, it would probably be tight, 70 should be fine. ...

     

    My assumption is that if its private, you would only have the restaurant space from 6:30-10:30, in which it would finish up. The Disco opens at 10:30. If its the same resort DJ, he would then move over there and play for the rest of the night. (which is then... free!)



    #322 sfox4214

    sfox4214
    • Newbie
    • 67 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 29, 2013
    • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites - Jamaica
    • LocationChicago, Illinois

    Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

    Originally Posted by allieplask 

    Noticed someone mention a private dinner for 50 guests.... I'm looking at the paperwork that I have and it says that for a private reception you can use Mare Nostrum for 40-50 people, Calabash for 70-100 people and Aunt Ruby's for 100-200 people.  I don't see a problem in us having 70 guests for Calabash (we are at 60 right now) but if you are between 50-70 what do you do?

     

    Also, I think I know the answer but I've been a lot of disco talk recently... if you rent the restaurant for your reception you are able to have the DJ and a dance floor in the restaurant, right?

     

     

    Originally Posted by Kassi22 

     



    I will have around 60ish guest and we are planning on having our dinner at the Calabash. I was told that if you have less then 70 you can't have a private reception (4 hours) however we can have a Semi-Private which we will have the restaurant to ourselves for 2 hours. With the semi-private you can set up the sound system and have a DJ, so I assume its the same for the Private. They say you can have room for dancing, depending on the amount of people. If you had 100, it would probably be tight, 70 should be fine. ...

     

    My assumption is that if its private, you would only have the restaurant space from 6:30-10:30, in which it would finish up. The Disco opens at 10:30. If its the same resort DJ, he would then move over there and play for the rest of the night. (which is then... free!)

     

     

    Allie,

     

    They are VERY strict about their minimums ... I've already gone rounds with Nicole on this. I would email her immediately and ask her about the possibility of having less than 70 and see what she says. You don't want to wait till last minute to find out they won't do it :/ Or better yet find out the restaurant you can use is already rented out ... I've seen brides complaining about this lately.

     

    Kassi,

     

    I was told that you could not have a DJ and sound system if you are doing a semi-private, that you only get this if you have a private reception. I believe the paperwork says that as well. Also, they say that there may be other guests dining at the same time with a semi-private ... However maybe because you have a larger group that wouldn't be the case.



    #323 allieplask

    allieplask
    • Jr. Member
    • 177 posts

      Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

      Thank you!  I just emailed the hotel about this.  Originally we told Nicole we wanted Aunt Ruby's because we thought we'd be over 100 people but now it's looking more like 80?

       

      Originally Posted by sfox4214 

       

       

       

       

      Allie,

       

      They are VERY strict about their minimums ... I've already gone rounds with Nicole on this. I would email her immediately and ask her about the possibility of having less than 70 and see what she says. You don't want to wait till last minute to find out they won't do it :/ Or better yet find out the restaurant you can use is already rented out ... I've seen brides complaining about this lately.

       

      Kassi,

       

      I was told that you could not have a DJ and sound system if you are doing a semi-private, that you only get this if you have a private reception. I believe the paperwork says that as well. Also, they say that there may be other guests dining at the same time with a semi-private ... However maybe because you have a larger group that wouldn't be the case.


      wedding website: www.allienick.com


      #324 heather1214

      heather1214
      • Jr. Member
      • 229 posts

        Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

        Originally Posted by allieplask 

        Noticed someone mention a private dinner for 50 guests.... I'm looking at the paperwork that I have and it says that for a private reception you can use Mare Nostrum for 40-50 people, Calabash for 70-100 people and Aunt Ruby's for 100-200 people.  I don't see a problem in us having 70 guests for Calabash (we are at 60 right now) but if you are between 50-70 what do you do?

         

        Also, I think I know the answer but I've been a lot of disco talk recently... if you rent the restaurant for your reception you are able to have the DJ and a dance floor in the restaurant, right?

         

        That was one of my questions to Nicole. At 50 you can have it at Calabash.  Most of the reviews I've read from Mare Nostrum had 30-40 people and they said it was the perfect size.  When we went to that restaurant it's very nautical and cute but I don't think 50+ would fit in there with a dance floor.

         

        My DJ is Kevan and he sets up regularly at Calabash.  He's bringing lighting and it appears they use the far side of the restaurant as the dance floor.  Calabash is a large space.  



        #325 Kassi22

        Kassi22
        • Newbie
        • 135 posts

          Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

          Originally Posted by sfox4214 

           

           

           

           

          Allie,

           

          They are VERY strict about their minimums ... I've already gone rounds with Nicole on this. I would email her immediately and ask her about the possibility of having less than 70 and see what she says. You don't want to wait till last minute to find out they won't do it :/ Or better yet find out the restaurant you can use is already rented out ... I've seen brides complaining about this lately.

           

          Kassi,

           

          I was told that you could not have a DJ and sound system if you are doing a semi-private, that you only get this if you have a private reception. I believe the paperwork says that as well. Also, they say that there may be other guests dining at the same time with a semi-private ... However maybe because you have a larger group that wouldn't be the case.

           


          I was told this:

          "You can have a semiprivate dinner for $450.00usd from 6.30-8.30pm where there will only be you and your guest in the restaurant until 8.30pm"

          "If you are dining at the Gourmet restaurant, yes, you will be able to have micro-phone in the restaurant from 6:30-8:30pm which would be $200 for the 2hrs a DJ will be there to set-up the system"

           

          So, I could be wrong about the DJ now from reading it.. but its if we are the only ones in there, then I can't see why we can't have the DJ. Also, I can't comment for any other restaurant as she specified the Gourmet.



          #326 Kassi22

          Kassi22
          • Newbie
          • 135 posts

            Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

            I should also say I take all the information with a grain of salt... My FI and I have bets on how many things will change or be changed once we get there. But hey... we aren't going to sweat it. Everything will work out!

            Attached Files



            #327 allieplask

            allieplask
            • Jr. Member
            • 177 posts

              Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

              How did you get set-up with Kevan?  Did you get that info from Nicole or are you bringing him in separately?

               

              Originally Posted by heather1214 

               

              That was one of my questions to Nicole. At 50 you can have it at Calabash.  Most of the reviews I've read from Mare Nostrum had 30-40 people and they said it was the perfect size.  When we went to that restaurant it's very nautical and cute but I don't think 50+ would fit in there with a dance floor.

               

              My DJ is Kevan and he sets up regularly at Calabash.  He's bringing lighting and it appears they use the far side of the restaurant as the dance floor.  Calabash is a large space.  


              wedding website: www.allienick.com


              #328 heather1214

              heather1214
              • Jr. Member
              • 229 posts

                Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

                Originally Posted by allieplask 

                How did you get set-up with Kevan?  Did you get that info from Nicole or are you bringing him in separately?

                 

                 

                I found reviews on here, and his website is:

                 

                http://jaweddingdj.com/dj.php

                 

                He is a Jamaican vendor and has been very professional and quick to respond so far.   When I met with Nicole, she said she knew Kevan well and that he does a great job!



                #329 allieplask

                allieplask
                • Jr. Member
                • 177 posts

                  Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

                  Thanks!  Do you know if you have to pay a vendor fee for him?

                   

                  Originally Posted by heather1214 

                   

                  I found reviews on here, and his website is:

                   

                  http://jaweddingdj.com/dj.php

                   

                  He is a Jamaican vendor and has been very professional and quick to respond so far.   When I met with Nicole, she said she knew Kevan well and that he does a great job!


                  wedding website: www.allienick.com


                  #330 heather1214

                  heather1214
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 229 posts

                    Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

                    Originally Posted by allieplask 

                    Thanks!  Do you know if you have to pay a vendor fee for him?

                     

                     

                    It's my understanding you pay vendor fees for everyone except TaiFlora (which I'm NOT using!)






                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users