Photo

Another Personal Question - Birth Control?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JANET1111
    For what it's worth, I have an IUD and I'm really happy with it. I have the non-hormone one.

Advantages:
    No fuss, nothing to do except check on it once a month
    No monthly cost
    No hormones

Disadvantages:
    Heavier period

I'm happy to answer any questions about it if you want. I know everyone reacts differently to different methods of BC but I am pretty happy with mine overall.
    definitely not happy with the disadvantages, I have that problem already!!!

#22 Alyssa

Alyssa
    • 11,793 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

hhmm no secret magic baby proof trick that i didn't know about. i am going to swing by Target and get some Today Sponges to try out in leiu of the condoms. i can't help thinking about Elaine on Seinfeld hoarding all of her Sponges HAHA

#23 *JillD*

*JillD*
      • 5,112 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JANET1111
        For what it's worth, I have an IUD and I'm really happy with it. I have the non-hormone one.

Advantages:
        No fuss, nothing to do except check on it once a month
        No monthly cost
        No hormones

Disadvantages:
        Heavier period

I'm happy to answer any questions about it if you want. I know everyone reacts differently to different methods of BC but I am pretty happy with mine overall.
        I told FI that I wanted to go off birth control when we get back from the wedding because I don't like having all of these hormones in my body and I really do think they make me crazy sometimes.

So I told him I was going to get an IUD, I didn't realize there was one with hormones and one without, whats do they do differently?

My period isn't too bad, so I could deal with a heavier period.

With an IUD what are the chances of getting pregnant, is it close to the same as the pill or less?

FI thinks you have more of a chance getting pregnant with the IUD, but he knows how much I hate BC and the awful headaches that it gives me, so he said he'd go get snipped. I just feel like thats such a final thing. I know we have talked and I really really don't think we will ever have another child. we're perfectly happy with our life the way it is, but what if we did want one, and he's already done the deed

#24 DreaW

DreaW
        • Banned
        • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

so do you gain a lot of weight with the Depo (sp?) shot?

I'm thinking of changing but I've been on the pill since I was 17 and the same pill...I take Zovia. It is working great but I have a tendency to forget to take the pill (actually, make that I "always" forget to take the pill and end up doubling up..)

Hehehehe...a while back (when I was 20) I forgot to take the pill for a week and a half or so, so guess what I did (I didn't know any better) I took all 6 to 7 pills in a row one day....
          I almost passed out a couple of hours taking it. I do not suggest doing this.....Yeah stupid....

#25 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by IrieBride08
            I use NuvaRing and I really love it. It's very low dose, I don't have to remember to take pills, and have experienced no side effects. Just wear for three weeks and remove for one.
            Ditto, I love the NuvaRing.. I was afraid at first but once I found that it worked, I loved it. I always forget to take my pills so this is a better option for me.

I tried the patch, but once I saw it move while I was taking a shower, I freaked and got back on the ring. lol...

#26 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

Everyone i've ever known who had the shot gained a lot of weight.

I didnt know the sponge was back. I was also thinking of seinfeld. Is he sponge worthy?

#27 Can'tHardlyWait

Can'tHardlyWait
              • 812 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by DreaW
                Hehehehe...a while back (when I was 20) I forgot to take the pill for a week and a half or so, so guess what I did (I didn't know any better) I took all 6 to 7 pills in a row one day....
                I almost passed out a couple of hours taking it. I do not suggest doing this.....Yeah stupid....

Been there, done that... more than once. It's as smart as doing this:

#28 Janet

Janet
                • VIP Member
                • 7,459 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by jilly76
                  So I told him I was going to get an IUD, I didn't realize there was one with hormones and one without, whats do they do differently?

My period isn't too bad, so I could deal with a heavier period.

With an IUD what are the chances of getting pregnant, is it close to the same as the pill or less?
                  There is one with low dose hormones (Mirena) and one without any (Paragard). With the Mirena your periods might still be really light. Not so much with the Paragard.

I think the pregnancy chance is the same as the pill or better ~99.9%

http://en.wikipedia....auterine_device

#29 PlayaNovia

PlayaNovia
                  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

We chose permanent birth control - FI is "fixed". Not the option for everyone, but it worked for us and we couldn't be happier. Of course, if you ever want kids - not an option. Just sayin'....
                    Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.
                    --Robert Frost

#30 boscobel

boscobel
                    • VIP Member
                    • 24,213 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

I am currently not on birth control and have a heart attack monthly waiting for my period to come and releive the stress of "oh god, am I pregnant?!" I had been on the pill for years, to regulate and obviously for BC, but I always forgot to take it. Then I tried the NuvaRing, which was much better, but I am very susceptible to the sexual side effects. Like I am just not interested, not ready and don't care. So I have tried just about everything, but they all do the same thing to me and I haven't found one that I liked.

I forgot to say, I tried the sponge and I don't know if I am just stupid or what. But I have tried it numerous times and I usually end up in tears cuz I can't get it the hell out! There is a loop you are supposed to be able to pull it out by, but I always have trouble with it. Although, I do like using it, cuz it is a protection for a few hours and the sex is better then with a condom. (Sorry if that was too much info).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users