Photo

Another Personal Question - Birth Control?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

What kind of BC do you use?

I had been on the Pill for years and recently had to go off due to weird side effects (specifically I was taking YAZ and starting having irregular heart pains, had some tests and my EKG's were all screwed up, YAZ is known for higher instances of blood clots so i went off of it and within 4 weeks everything was normal again)

My OBGYN doesn't want me on any BC Pill for the indefinite future. I am pretty stressed about this as FI and I definitely do NOT want a baby for at least 2 more years.

I am considering The Today Sponge and a Diaphragm. I am not comfortable with an IUD or the monthly shot or the patch.

Condoms are obvious but suck!

anyway i know this is pretty TMI but if you are interested in sharing i would like to hear what works / what doesn't, etc. I am hoping there is another good option that i haven't thought of but that is probably unlikely!

#2 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

I am having a similar (but different) situation... I ahve been on everything under the sun (norplant, pills, depo) and have problems on it all... My gyn wants me to have a "wash-out" month as she called it, for the next 2 months... BAD NEWS, this is 2 months before my wedding... She is suggesting the IUD Mirena to me... I am not sure what to do either....

#3 Alyssa

Alyssa
      • 11,793 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by beachbride
        I am having a similar (but different) situation... I ahve been on everything under the sun (norplant, pills, depo) and have problems on it all... My gyn wants me to have a "wash-out" month as she called it, for the next 2 months... BAD NEWS, this is 2 months before my wedding... She is suggesting the IUD Mirena to me... I am not sure what to do either....
        jeez - right before the wedding - that is tough! did you tell her about the timing? can you push it off till after you get back?

I have heard some bad stuff about that IUD - freaks me out!!!!!!!

#4 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 10,366 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Mrs.B 2008
          jeez - right before the wedding - that is tough! did you tell her about the timing? can you push it off till after you get back?

I have heard some bad stuff about that IUD - freaks me out!!!!!!!
          yeah, I am going to talk to her this week, it is just really bad timing for me.... I haven't heard anything positive or negative about it...

#5 Adamsgrrl

Adamsgrrl
          • 466 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

Can't help you there. I hate my BC, nothing seems to work for me. And it seems like my gyno's answer to all of this is "try this" "try that"... I feel like a guinea pig.

Sorry I know it suxs.

#6 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
            • 716 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

I use NuvaRing and I really love it. It's very low dose, I don't have to remember to take pills, and have experienced no side effects. Just wear for three weeks and remove for one.

#7 Copita

Copita
              • 979 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

I use Yasmin birth control pills. I have for about 3 years now and I loove them! I've never had a problem at all with them and love that they have lower hormone levels.

#8 Alyssa

Alyssa
                • 11,793 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by IrieBride08
                  I use NuvaRing and I really love it. It's very low dose, I don't have to remember to take pills, and have experienced no side effects. Just wear for three weeks and remove for one.
                  i tried that and broke out really, really bad! also i know this sounds really gross but i was breaking out in sweats ALL the time and i don't usually sweat - not so sexy if you know what i'm sayin!

#9 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
                  • 716 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Mrs.B 2008
                    i tried that and broke out really, really bad! also i know this sounds really gross but i was breaking out in sweats ALL the time and i don't usually sweat - not so sexy if you know what i'm sayin!
                    Girl, you are too funny! Isn't that so strange how these medications have such a varied effect on everyone! The human endocrine system is so complex!!!

#10 mexico2007

mexico2007
                    • 50 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

I was on Depo for years-but about a year ago went off of it cause I wanted to clean out my system and get ready for having a baby, even though it probably wont be for another year or so. But when I was on it I loved it. Didnt ever get my periods and no side effects. The only thing I didnt like was it being in my system for so long. Now I am going to try the Jasmine or whatever its called-to try and skip my period for the wedding. I am a little nervous cause I dont want to gain weight. I have heard good things about it though.
                      One of the girls did bring up a good point about possibly waiting until after the wedding. Is this possible? Just use condoms-I know they do suck but its so worth not having to try different BC. Maybe thats an option. Good luck hun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users