Sign in to follow this  
A10CalGal

Job Hunting Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
well, it sounds like you're approaching it the "right" way by comparing everything (salray, benefits, commute, etc.) and the long term vs. short term benefits. not sure any of us can add anything that you haven't already considered ... you're even making a spreadsheet (a girl after my own heart!). i guess - just think about things like ... do you see yourself at any of these companies long term? can you go back and spend the day w/someone (shadow someone) just to see what it might be like to help you decide?

good luck!
Great idea Ann (shadowing) - I know I could do that with the first job I mentioned. It's with a small consulting firm. They really want me & are expecting me to call them soon to tell them how I am feeling about it. Maybe I will call & ask if I can spend a day with the hiring manager in the field.

The other jobs are thru a recruiter, and its all very "controlled."

I just have to remember that long term I need a happy place with good people & challenges for me. I think this consulting opportunity really is more of a "career" than a "job" and I definitely see myself being there for the long haul. These other opportunities are just kinda "eh" - but good money to start. I have that feeling that this is a pivotal moment in my life story...I better not f- it up!!

Ok, I'm reviving the "Job Hunting Sucks" thread, because it does. And I know I'm not alone!

If you've read any of my other recent threads, you know I accepted a job & then was treated pretty poorly/weirdly during the pre-employment process...I rescinded my acceptance. I know that I made the right decision..the way you are treated in the begining of an employment relationship is always a great indicator of things to come.

So, I'm reviving this thread to hear what's going on with y'all that are in the same situation.

Here's what I'm doing:

-Working with a Robert Half Int. recruiter (I'm in finance & accounting)

-Searching craigslist every day

-Networking every where I go - not even kidding - football games, grocery stores, real estate office, etc.

-I finally bit the bullet today & registered on Microsoft's hiring website...hello, they have like 5 locations within 20 miles of me! I thought I was a non-corporate person, but they are pretty anti-corporate for such a large corporation.

What are you doing? Do you need help with anything? I got excellent help with my resume from Maria & Paula recently (thanks girls). Let's chat about this shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa View Post
Ok, I'm reviving the "Job Hunting Sucks" thread, because it does. And I know I'm not alone!

If you've read any of my other recent threads, you know I accepted a job & then was treated pretty poorly/weirdly during the pre-employment process...I rescinded my acceptance. I know that I made the right decision..the way you are treated in the begining of an employment relationship is always a great indicator of things to come.

So, I'm reviving this thread to hear what's going on with y'all that are in the same situation.

Here's what I'm doing:

-Working with a Robert Half Int. recruiter (I'm in finance & accounting)
-Searching craigslist every day
-Networking every where I go - not even kidding - football games, grocery stores, real estate office, etc.
-I finally bit the bullet today & registered on Microsoft's hiring website...hello, they have like 5 locations within 20 miles of me! I thought I was a non-corporate person, but they are pretty anti-corporate for such a large corporation.

What are you doing? Do you need help with anything? I got excellent help with my resume from Maria & Paula recently (thanks girls). Let's chat about this shit!
little side note: My cousin's husband works for Microsoft :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaW View Post
little side note: My cousin's husband works for Microsoft :)
Oh yeah? Andhuh.gif Any feedback? Idea?

One of the owners of the company I used to work for is great friends with a big wig at Microsoft...he emailed me the contact info & I totally can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa View Post
Oh yeah? Andhuh.gif Any feedback? Idea?

One of the owners of the company I used to work for is great friends with a big wig at Microsoft...he emailed me the contact info & I totally can't find it.
i don't know, sorry, I can call my cousin tonight and talk to him.....They live in Lynnwood, Wa.

No worries Andrea! I think Microsoft is pretty strict about their recruiting process anyway. If you happen to get any interesting info, of course I'd be interested :)

I hate job hunting!! Right now I'm not full fledged into it with the wedding next week, but I did send out my resume to two companies on craigslist.

I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to go back to school because if I do, I'm going to have to take day classes which would mean quitting my job and finding something flexible part time.

So many decisions, sometimes it really sucks!! Once the wedding is over I'm going to have to really sit down and make a decision!

Christa microsoft is a great company, I think that would be a great place to be, but I having worked for a very large corporation for the past 7 almost 8 years, I can see why it might be more appealing to work for a small company.

what about hotjobs? I've only checked it out a few times, but I know a few people that were able to find jobs there.

I thought I was going to need a new job because I work for a start-up and I was sick of doing nothing all day because we had no money, but my VP just told me yesterday that he's not replacing my boss who left in July. This means that he (he the VP) and I will BE the marketing department, and this should actually work out for me... He said that we have at least 18 months until any type of decision is made by our parent company on whether or not to continue. So... I'm going to hang in for a while. Good luck to everyone- let me know if I can help.