Job Hunting Sucks

A10CalGal

I am SOOO BORED at work... We have had no budget for Q3 and I have done nothing.... I had an awesome first interview last week and I should know this week if I go back. I am luck though that I get paid a lot of $$ to surf the 'net so I can't complain I guess. Good luck to all of you job seekers!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
Christa - what happened to that one that just wouldn't budge on the $$ - but otherwise seemed super excited about you, and you said it seemed like a good job? i am guessing this is the one that didn't work out. that really sucks.
Ann - I don't know what happened! As of last week on Tuesday, they were going to be meeting to "discuss all of the candidates" and would "be in touch." I haven't heard a thing. I am really surprised I didn't even get a courtesy email or anything. In a way, I think that my interview made them realize that they are not in agreement on what they need & how much that is worth to them (one guy said the job was "no big deal" and wouldn't even take 40hrs/week part of the year, while the other 2 people said the job was growing with the company & they weren't sure if one person would be able to handle it long term!) So, I think they may be regrouping. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaW View Post
Christa can I join the job hunting sucks boat? I hate looking for jobs....Still subbing though..
Erik started his new job today and likes it, that's good :)

Hmmmm, maybe my sister can help you, would you be interested in working at the corporate office of Costco...it's located in Issaquiah (sp?)
Hi Drea! Yes, definitely joing the club. At least you are able to sub & make some $. And, thanks for the offer about your sister, but honestly I don't think Costco Corporate would be a good fit for me. I'm more of a small-medium size business girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt View Post
job hunting DOES suck BIG TIME. No fun at all. I hope you find a good one; go with your gut, hopefully it knows what's right rolleyes.gif

what did you make for dinner for less than 8 bucks?! i want the recipe!
Haha! You like that? I roasted a chicken ($5) stuffed with a vegetable stuffing (maybe $1), served with roasted delicata squash ($0.99) and steamed brown rice (maybe $0.50 worth). And now I'm turning the chicken carcass into chicken broth that will become tonights chicken soup dinner :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenandBrendan View Post
Sorry the job hunting isn't going well. I wish I had some advice for you. Maybe just enjoy this time off because once you do get a job, that's it for time off for awhile. Not sure if that helped you or not.
Yeah, definitely, trying to do that, but financial reality is that I don't like not making money! And, our next goal is to buy a home & we can't exactly qualify for a mortgage if I don't have a full time job. I'm trying to enjoy, but it's hard without any buddy's to hang with. I go to the gym, take the dog to the park...play Suzie Homemaker...take the kid to school, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsgrrl View Post
what position are you looking for? in what field?
I am looking for an accounting manager, assistant controller or consulting position with a small to medium sized company. I have a BS in Business Mgmt with a Financial Accounting concentration & 13 years of progressive accounting experience.

Well I guess my only advice would be the hang in there and wait until you're really excited about something. Dan was out of work at one point for like 7 months and there were a few times where he actually turned down jobs because he realized after the interview that they weren't right for him. Just remember that the interview process is not just them interviewing you it;s also you interviewing them!

Or if you need to take something and realize that you can always leave! If you start a job and it's awful and the people are mean then you just quit and keep looking! Plus the grat thing is that you can continue doing freelance work for your SoCal boss...

Hang in there - and wait until you find something you actually want!

YOu are totally right Kash, thanks for saying all of that. I actually just came from a great interview (by great I mean, I liked the vibe of the company & the people, I liked how they communicated with me & I like what they do). I can feel myself being very open & asking a lot of questions, and I think thats good. I guess the more I interview the better I will get at it.

Speaking of work - I guess I better get off of here & log in to do some work for the old job :)

OK ladies, fast forward about a week...holy crap, I am overwhelmed with 4 potential jobs. They are all so different, in different geographical locations (commute wise), different future potential, different industries...ugh! The one my gut is telling me is the right one for me is of course the one that wants to start me at the lowest salary.

I'm stuck in that dimension where I have to weigh the cost of a short term pay cut against the benefit of chosing the right job that is offering me a great CAREER opportunity with tons of professional growth potential. AND, working in a location that has a reverse commute (huge here in Seattle). Hmmm, it sounds like I'm answering my own question as I type this. :)

I guess the tough part is there are three other jobs that are offering initialy higher compensation. One in particular has fantastic benis including a 30% annual bonus & profit sharing & a gym membership, my own office... So, do I go the greedy route with a solid company that I will probably be able to deal with & just have a JOB?

Ugh. It's so bad that I've started a spread sheet to compare the pros & cons.

well, it sounds like you're approaching it the "right" way by comparing everything (salray, benefits, commute, etc.) and the long term vs. short term benefits. not sure any of us can add anything that you haven't already considered ... you're even making a spreadsheet (a girl after my own heart!). i guess - just think about things like ... do you see yourself at any of these companies long term? can you go back and spend the day w/someone (shadow someone) just to see what it might be like to help you decide?

good luck!