Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shine007

How are you saving up for your wedding?

Recommended Posts

We are doing the same thing as lkw4568. We started putting aside $500 a month and any extra money we put in the wedding account. Also twice a year I get a bonus and that went right to the wedding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really great ideas!  Our bank has an option to "bank the rest" and we have just started to use this feature...all transactions on our debit card are rounded up (by a predetermined amount - either the nearest 1$, nearest 5$ or nearest 10$) and deposited into a savings account. Small bits here and there really do add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we live together we already have accounts together. A portion of our checks go into our joint checking an savings accounts. Whats needed for the bills goins in checking and everything else goes into savings. And when we file our taxes a huge chunk of the refunds go into our joint accounts. The only thing making it a tad bit hard is that we are buying a house so we are paying for all the little fees with that as well.

 

Buut like everyone has said make small cutbacks and you will notice the money adding up. We both used to buy lunch every day, and I had a starbucks daily habbit. Now we get lunch maybe once a week and pack our lunch for the rest of the days. We also used to go out to eat alot. We have gotten it down to once a month and maybe take out here and there.

 

Oh and I stopped buying shoes. lol. My guilty pleasure. I will pick that back up next year. lol. I usually get my nails done every month. But that has officially ended this month. I can paint my own nails. Just little things here and there. When you review how you are spending money you realize what you really don't haaaaave to spend money on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my fiancé are also setting aside $500 a month each into a separate account. Also where I'm from your sorta expected to have a wedding social which raises some funds. Once nov 30 rolls around my loan is finished so that also frees up an extra 450 a month (wooohoooo) so by next may we feel we should be good. Also we've cut back on eating out and shopping and instead are spending that money on the little things we can pick up between now and the wedding like stuff for oot bags and decor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like most people have already stated, we put aside money each month.  We tried to each put at least 1000.00 in each month...that way, even after the wedding is over we are still building another savings.  I am the financially savvy one out of us and frankly a budget whore so it has been an interesting experience getting us together but I think the wedding has actually helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Dazeydawl, We do the wedding social thing (stag'n'doe) where we're from too but wasn't sure what the etiquette on this was for DW's.  Is it still acceptable to raise money for the wedding when many guests are already paying lots to attend (or unable to attend due to funds?). I feel that most of our friends would be okay with it (any excuse to have a good time/party...) but not sure if the majority of people will find this cheap?

 

 

Originally Posted by Dazeydawl View Post

Me and my fiancé are also setting aside $500 a month each into a separate account. Also where I'm from your sorta expected to have a wedding social which raises some funds. Once nov 30 rolls around my loan is finished so that also frees up an extra 450 a month (wooohoooo) so by next may we feel we should be good. Also we've cut back on eating out and shopping and instead are spending that money on the little things we can pick up between now and the wedding like stuff for oot bags and decor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've decided to plan our wedding w/ 6 months notice.  Been together forever and finally paid off some bills.  Thought now would be a good time financially.  So...we just put whatever extra we can to the side.  No real method.  Just trying to the extra in the savings before we waste it away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by katman View Post

 

Hey Dazeydawl, We do the wedding social thing (stag'n'doe) where we're from too but wasn't sure what the etiquette on this was for DW's.  Is it still acceptable to raise money for the wedding when many guests are already paying lots to attend (or unable to attend due to funds?). I feel that most of our friends would be okay with it (any excuse to have a good time/party...) but not sure if the majority of people will find this cheap?

 

Hey Katman!! Im not sure what the differences are between stag n does and winnipeg wedding socials but here the majority of tickets are sold to people you dont even really know or people that wouldnt even be invited to the wedding even if it was at home. Like everyone i work with and their friends, my fiances work place and their friends. Here you just give tickets to your family and bridal party to sell to whoever they know. So in the end theres anywhere from 300 to 1000 people depending on the hall. Obviously you wouldn't invite 1000 people to a wedding lol. I think its fine for DWs as long as the money is still being used for the wedding. I mean if your DW is only costing you 4000 then maybe forgo a social. but my DW is costing alot more since its not at an AI, i still have a full reception and open bar to pay for lol so in the end my DW is costing more then if i was to have my wedding at home. Either way if you think everyone would be ok with it then i say go for it!!! Socials are always a good time, tons of fun and cheap booze!! Here people prefer to goto a social for $3.00 drinks instead of a bar and paying $6.00 plus theres food and prizes to be won, who cares where the money goes. I've even been to a social by two guys trying to raise funds to go packbacking in europe (yes in winnipeg socials are held to raise money for anything).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha I LOVE IT!! I need to make my way out to Winnipeg more often!  I'm living in Alberta at the moment, but am originally from Southern Ontario. Judging by your explanation, Stag & Does are pretty similar to a wedding social, but generally not quite as big. Considered kind of like male/female bridal shower (why we choose to refer to the male and female of the DEER species is completely beyond me...) but instead of gifts, everyone just buys tickets/drinks/games/raffles to support the couple. Tickets are still sold to friends of friends of friends and so on...but usually a couple hundred people attend TOPS lol (Sounds like you Winnipeg folk know how to paaaarty!!).  The only concern with a stag & doe, is that it is generally the wedding party who do the planning (with some help from the wedding couple here and there), and I don't know if that would be too much to ask. But you make a great point....any reason to let loose and have a great time (especially when drinks are cheap..) is usually welcome by most! Haha, Thanks for the input!! :)

 

Originally Posted by Dazeydawl View Post

Hey Katman!! Im not sure what the differences are between stag n does and winnipeg wedding socials but here the majority of tickets are sold to people you dont even really know or people that wouldnt even be invited to the wedding even if it was at home. Like everyone i work with and their friends, my fiances work place and their friends. Here you just give tickets to your family and bridal party to sell to whoever they know. So in the end theres anywhere from 300 to 1000 people depending on the hall. Obviously you wouldn't invite 1000 people to a wedding lol. I think its fine for DWs as long as the money is still being used for the wedding. I mean if your DW is only costing you 4000 then maybe forgo a social. but my DW is costing alot more since its not at an AI, i still have a full reception and open bar to pay for lol so in the end my DW is costing more then if i was to have my wedding at home. Either way if you think everyone would be ok with it then i say go for it!!! Socials are always a good time, tons of fun and cheap booze!! Here people prefer to goto a social for $3.00 drinks instead of a bar and paying $6.00 plus theres food and prizes to be won, who cares where the money goes. I've even been to a social by two guys trying to raise funds to go packbacking in europe (yes in winnipeg socials are held to raise money for anything).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by katman View Post

 

Hahaha I LOVE IT!! I need to make my way out to Winnipeg more often!  I'm living in Alberta at the moment, but am originally from Southern Ontario. Judging by your explanation, Stag & Does are pretty similar to a wedding social, but generally not quite as big. Considered kind of like male/female bridal shower (why we choose to refer to the male and female of the DEER species is completely beyond me...) but instead of gifts, everyone just buys tickets/drinks/games/raffles to support the couple. Tickets are still sold to friends of friends of friends and so on...but usually a couple hundred people attend TOPS lol (Sounds like you Winnipeg folk know how to paaaarty!!).  The only concern with a stag & doe, is that it is generally the wedding party who do the planning (with some help from the wedding couple here and there), and I don't know if that would be too much to ask. But you make a great point....any reason to let loose and have a great time (especially when drinks are cheap..) is usually welcome by most! Haha, Thanks for the input!! :)

 

Not a problem! I think wedding socials here in winnipeg originally started out as the bridal party hosting (at least thats how my mom says it was in the 70's when she got married) but now the bride and groom has pretty much taken it over. Bridal party still helps out by donating for silent auction prizes, selling tickets and working the social (selling drink/raffle/50.50 tickets, helping with food, decorations and clean up) but all the expense of the hall rental, booze, dj, and little things are paid for by the bride and groom which usually is covered by the selling of the door tickets then any money you actually make is from raffles and drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×