Mexico Pricing friom Vancouver? Over $2000???

McLecker

Wow, I am shocked the prices are that high from Van as well, we are flying out of Calgary so I thought maybe it was something about our location.We had chosen the Barcelo Maya (palace or any of the others) and I was thinking it was my resort choice! I started to consider other resorts like Dreams and stuff but they are also sky showing high prices! We are also thinking end of Nov because its off peak season but no luck! Just a tip... make sure if you do choose Nov you don't end up going or coming during the US thanksgiving long weekend because prices go up for it!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that $2000/person for November is outrageous.  The price could be due to Dreams.  We wanted to get married there but I felt the prices were too high to ask people to pay.  We decided to go to Barcelo Tropical May 2012 and are paying $1444 (including tax, transfers etc) from Van to Mexico, direct flights with awesome times through Westjet.  We were told by the travel agent that the price is high because there are not as many flights at that time of year.  I may consider a new travel agent.  I shopped around and went with the cheapest.  Hope this helps!

I am feeling the same way. I live just outside of vancouver and have been speaking with a travel agent that is telling me that 1600 or lower for the palace and dreams resorts isnt realistic. Those places offer perks for weddings and groups and I have my heart set on them, but can't ask my guests to pay over 1700 per person.

It's nice to hear the Barcelo can come in under $1500....we are hoping to stay there but I wanted to keep it under $1500 for our guests. Although it may be more for us as we are flying from Calgary. I am keeping my fingers VERY tightly crossed that our TA brings us some very good news with our quotes this week!

Hi there, I totally know what you mean!  I was in price shock when first choosing a resort.  Ideally we wanted Jan/Feb 2012, but those prices from Van were in the $2200 range!  We decided to move the wedding to May 2012 and found Ocean Coral & Turquesa in Pureto Morelos, (in the Mayan) to be the best option.  It's a beautiful hotel, lots of pools and restaurants and is fairly new so it's in good condition.  Check it out: http://www.h10hotels.com/en/hotel/hotels-riviera-maya/ocean-coral.html This hotel was on my top 5 list, but I really really wanted Dreams or Barcelo.  To be perfectly honest the prices for Dreams or Barcelo didn't change from the Jan/Feb quotes to May.  I would say to keep your options open.  There are a ton of great hotels around Mexico and the perks for a non-Dreams or Barcelo is that it feels more intimate and there are usually only one wedding per day rather than 3 - 4 at the big resorts.  Good luck!

Hi Everyone!

We were able to do a room block and that made it SO MUCH less stressful as we did not have to worry about flights.  You just book the dates that you want and then everyone can book their own airfare.  People can use points to fly, go with a cheap charter or any airline of their choosing.  In the end I found it to be so much more flexible and it is actually cheaper .  I am booked at the Playacar Palace and I am so glad we just booked the rooms only.  If people are thrifty they can look online for the best deals.

Just a thought.

We had people fly out of Calgary for about $1600 (plus tax) for the Barcelo Maya Palace in January (7-14th) 2012.  We had quotes for Dreams Tulum for about $1500 from Winnipeg in January around the same time.  If November is a cheaper month, that seems really expensive!

Originally Posted by FireyNurse View Post

Wow, I am shocked the prices are that high from Van as well, we are flying out of Calgary so I thought maybe it was something about our location.We had chosen the Barcelo Maya (palace or any of the others) and I was thinking it was my resort choice! I started to consider other resorts like Dreams and stuff but they are also sky showing high prices! We are also thinking end of Nov because its off peak season but no luck! Just a tip... make sure if you do choose Nov you don't end up going or coming during the US thanksgiving long weekend because prices go up for it!

Hi Lola,

Do you mind to tell me how you book the trips for your guests?  How come it would be cheaper if booking separately?

I found expedia.ca to be cheaper if I book the package earlier....

Thank you,

Eva

Originally Posted by Lola2012 View Post

Hi Everyone!

I had the same issue so I decided to book with Liz Moore Destination Weddings.  I worked the Tammy Henry from that company and she is awesome!  Super helpful and really easy to deal with.  We were able to do a room block and that made it SO MUCH less stressful as we did not have to worry about flights.  You just book the dates that you want and then everyone can book their own airfare.  People can use points to fly, go with a cheap charter or any airline of their choosing.  In the end I found it to be so much more flexible and it is actually cheaper .  I am booked at the Playacar Palace and I am so glad we just booked the rooms only.  If people are thrifty they can look online for the best deals.

Just a thought.