What is your Photography Budget?!

we chose the Gran Bahia because we got price quotes for our group to go to both the Majestic and the Gran Bahia. The price was significantly different between the Majestic and The Gran Bahia (Majestic being $250 more per person). And we wanted the biggest group we could get, so we knew an extra $500 per couple would make a big difference to some people. So we decided to go with the less expensive resort for our guests. 

we are super HAPPY to say our decision paid off :) we have 70 people coming with us!! we are thrilled by this! 

Originally Posted by DominicanLeila View Post

I barely know how to post on these forums LOLZ I just noticed your venue is Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana I just emailed them today for pricing although I am pretty much sure about Majestic colonial I would like to see what other places offer. How come you chose them over the others and how big is your guest list? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting married in March at Secrets Royal Beach.  I am not huge into pictures so I just sort of thought I would go with the ones included in the package but can anyone give me any advice on that?  I am starting to wonder if those pictures won't be adequate because everyone appears to get an outside photographer.

Also I don't have enough posts to download.  SS2012 can you please email me kelly.golliher@gmail.com.  Thank you sooo much!!

A lot of people choose an outside photographer because they prefer a different photography style.  I'm pretty sure the resorts in house photographer will be fine. Ask to see samples of their work to make sure. If photography isn't your priority then you should be fine with the resorts photographer. If you don't like their work take a look at HDC they are affordable and their work is good.

Originally Posted by Kevol33 View Post

I am getting married in March at Secrets Royal Beach.  I am not huge into pictures so I just sort of thought I would go with the ones included in the package but can anyone give me any advice on that?  I am starting to wonder if those pictures won't be adequate because everyone appears to get an outside photographer.

Also I don't have enough posts to download.  SS2012 can you please email me kelly.golliher@gmail.com.  Thank you sooo much!!

a year ago, if you would have asked me if photography would be the most expensive part of my budget, I would have laughed. However, since looking at website, after photographer website, I've realized that your photos are the one thing you will have forever to remind you of your special day. Currently, we're looking at spending close to 30-40% of our ENTIRE budget on photography and videography.

We are using Carribbean Emotions, Michael has been so great to communicate with and they have amazing prices.  I have read so many great reviews on them which was one of the reasons we went with them.  There were two other photographers that I absolutely loved their work but their prices were probably 3-4x as much and for us it just didn't fit into our budget. 

Here's a tip: try really digging for pictures before going with a photographer. I did A LOT of googling and unearthered posts from brides that shared their entire wedding albums vs. just seeing the few best shots the photographer is proud of. The real life version of some of the photographers quality of work was entirely disappointing. Many of the photos I found were nowhere near "professional" quality. Just snapshots with some post processing.. nothing I can't do on my own computer. After WEEKS of research, I still have not decided on a photographer in the DR because of this. I am an amateur photographer, so maybe I'm being more critical, but I don't want to pay ANY money if what I'm going to get back is point-and-shoot quality photos. My mother could take those for free! 

I completely agree with you! I am amateur photographer too so I tend to be a bit over critical too. But a lot of the work I've seen does have a snapshot feel or they have used HDR in post processing and pushed it to the max. I sometimes wish I wasn't studying photography so that I could be ignorant to what really is good work and save a couple thousand lol.

Originally Posted by inloveinkorea View Post

Here's a tip: try really digging for pictures before going with a photographer. I did A LOT of googling and unearthered posts from brides that shared their entire wedding albums vs. just seeing the few best shots the photographer is proud of. The real life version of some of the photographers quality of work was entirely disappointing. Many of the photos I found were nowhere near "professional" quality. Just snapshots with some post processing.. nothing I can't do on my own computer. After WEEKS of research, I still have not decided on a photographer in the DR because of this. I am an amateur photographer, so maybe I'm being more critical, but I don't want to pay ANY money if what I'm going to get back is point-and-shoot quality photos. My mother could take those for free!