Wedding Gown Problems!

Sorry you're having problems, Mo. Those bridal shop workers can be so mean. I had alterations done this morning for $85 for a bridesmaids dress and I thought that was a lot! I can only imagine how I'd feel if I had to pay $320. It sucks that you have to pay the extra cost, but I'm sure you will look beautiful no matter what. Can't wait to see pics!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Mo! That's awful - I can only imagine. When I went shopping, there was a store I walked out of because the owner came out, looked at me, and said, "we don't have anything that fits her." All their dresses were sample size 8... thank you, you can take your bazillion dollar dresses and shove 'em! girl_werewolf.gif

I don't know where these women get off - this ends up being the most expensive dress you ever buy, and you don't need anyone's attitude or thoughts on your weight. I'm sorry you have to pay so much for alterations. I hope your mom gave the owner an earfull!

We all know you will look beautiful and can't wait to see pics!

How rude! You would think the dress shop emplyees would be more polite. I'm going dress shopping for the first time in two weeks, and I am absolutely dreading it. I stood up in my best friend's wedding in April and shopping for the bridesmaid dresses was an awful experience. When the lady was getting the price she said OK the dress will cost $X for everyone except Michelle. I had to pay $30 since I needed the larger size according to my hip measurements. Which once I got the dress had to be taken in!

I'm sure your dress will turn out beautifully once it is altered. Can't wait to see pics!

You are right that is everyone's worry when we go for our first dress fitting, I think people in bridal shops should know that and should be trained in the right way to handle this. This is the most important dress you will ever buy and you should be treated respectfully at all time's.I am sorry you have to spend so much money on alterations, but whe it is finished it will fit you perfectly, you will feel beautiful, and everything will be fine. Having the cups sewn in is a good idea anyway, so now you don't have to worry about uncomfortable, hot bras. I am glad your mom stood up for you, to many of these bridal sales people get away with entirely to much attitude, and they need to be put in their place.

Breath, relax, and know your dress will look beautiful on you!

Kelly~

I can't believe they treated you that way. How rude! I'm sure that it's horribly frustrating right now, but hang in there- they'll get it fixed and you'll be beautiful!

I once bought a bridesmaid's dress at David's Bridal for a friend's wedding that was like 9 months away. Well, they measured me and ordered my size 2 dress in January. I went and picked up the dress in July (for an August wedding) and knew it was going to be bad- I'd gained like 15 pounds since I ordered the dress due to a bunch of stress and stuff. I'm definitely an emotional eater! Anyway, the ladies at the store when I tried it on made me feel like an absolute cow. They made so many comments like "what did she think she was doing, ordering a size 2" and "I hate it when girls want to order a smaller size just to make themselves feel skinny" and stuff like that- totally within my earshot! I ended up squeezing myself into the dress after some crash dieting, but it was probably one of the most humiliating moments in my life. I feel your pain.

Hi Mo! I admire you for handling the situation gracefully and calmly. I went to a bridal salon (that was so unimpressive-- dirty, run down looking) but I went ahead because it was referred to me by another bride. The owner was kinda rude because I was only there for alterations. She kept speaking in another language with her mother that I am only there for bridal jewelry (which was the original reason for the appointment) and when the mother told me what she had just said after I asked the mother about it, I told her I am also there for alterations. The mother who was the seamstress was very nice. They charged me $295 for alterations and I thought it was high but I had a good feeling about the mother. I think she will do a good job. I told the daughter I intend to lose more weight and she was scoffing and laughing in a cynical manner. Well -- if I want to lose weight I can! But I left that store thinking she was so cynical and she failed to realize that it is one of the most important days in a woman's life! l felt bad for the Mom because I know they can get better business if not for the daughter.

Another bridal salon I went to sold me an oversized dress and lied to me. I am a size 10 and they sold me a size 16 dress. They told me alterations of the dress is not going to expensive. But I was told by another seamstress it would cost a lot of money altering the dress so I am better off selling it. I am in fact selling it here at BDW soon.

Mo- that sucks!!! they are so inconsiderate - what store did you go to?

i once had to get a bridesmaid dress from this store in S. Jersey (i can't remember the name but it is on Route 38 right near the Hooters (haha)...anyway i am 5'4" and have an hourglass shape and this dress was so horrible - it was for someone who is like 6'1" and lean and no breasts - the women in the store made me feel like a freak and they were like "we don't think there is anything that is going to make this fit you right" i wanted to punch all of them - it was horrible!!!! smile35.gif

That makes me so mad! I was lucky with my wedding dress girl - she was super nice and really honest. But now I'm wondering if she would have been as nice if I was bigger. My baby bro is a big guy so I get super protective when people make him feel bad. Those are totally the feelings I have reading this thread.

Who do these people think they are? They aren't out there saving lives or doing any real good - they sell overpriced dresses for god's sakes. They should get over themselves. The world could run just fine without them.

Don't worry about those girls you will look stunning on your wedding day. These girls are complete ***holes and should not get away with this behaviour. How many women have been made to feel like crap while shopping for their wedding dress? It is supposed to be an awesome experience. You may wish to consider saying something to the owner/manager of the store to let them know that you do not appreciate being treated the way you have as a customer. If you represent your concerns in a professional manner, who knows you may receive some form of compesensation and if not at least maybe these girls won't be able to treat another girl like this. It is totally up to you though and whether or not you feel comfortable doing this.