Photo

How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract (Great for AHR Gifts!)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

I made some homemade vanilla extract for the holidays and I thought it would make a GREAT AHR gift.  Especially since places like Mexico, Tahiti, Madagascar are known for having GREAT vanilla beans.

It takes just a few minutes to make each bottle and the cost is about $3 a bottle but the same size bottle in the stores is like $12!

For the links on where to buy the stuff: vanilla_extract_ING.jpg

1. Take a vanilla bean, cut it in half.

2. Then cut each half lengthwise

vanilla_CUT.jpg

3. Put the 4 pieces in your bottle, then with a funnel, add the vodka to the curved line in the bottle.

vanilla_extract_POUR.jpg

4. Screw on top and repeat with the rest of the bottles and vanilla beans.

5. Store in a dark, cool place.  We put them back in the box the bottles came in and put them in the pantry.

This is what the bottles look like after the 1st day.

vanilla_extract_bottles01.jpg

This is what they look like 2 weeks after I made it.  The mixture will continue to get darker.  You should wait 2 months before using to get a fuller, vanilla flavor.

vanilla_extract_final.jpg

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#2 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
  • Moderators
  • 25,218 posts
  • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

tammy this is such an awesome idea! id love to do this for christmas gifts!

did you create your own labels?  where did you get the right size?

ETA: nevermind, i just saw the link on your blog! perfecto :)

PS- i Pinned it on Pinterest! :)

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Abbe, It is so easy to do.  It does take some time to mature but you can always let your friends know to wait a bit to use.

It is great because they can just add more vodka to make more vanilla extract.

all links, etc. if not in this post are in the blog post.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 bondgirl0072010

bondgirl0072010
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

This is such a cute idea!

#5 jenn jenn

jenn jenn
    • Banned
    • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Techy & David Musical SDE (Best Wedding film ever!!) http://vimeo.com/30973540

#6 Julietisurs

Julietisurs
      • 261 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

This is a really great idea! Thanks for sharing.

#7 leungbobe

leungbobe
        • 160 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

This is very cool~~

#8 Smitten

Smitten
          • 153 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Great Idea!!!

#9 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
            • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Love this!!  Thanks for sharing Tammy!

#10 toribelle31

toribelle31
              • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

This is so cool!  I was thinking of just buying the vanilla in Mexico and pouring into mini bottles.  BTW, anyone know where to find the mini bottles?  I'm having a hard time... I wanted 50 mL amber plastic bottles, but maybe with this recipe you could do clear bottles so you can see the vanilla.  Any help is appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users