Photo

Should I plan a welcome dinner?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 venus909

venus909
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm getting married in June of next year on a Friday.  I was so set on having a welcome dinner/gathering on Thursday evening for our guests.  I figured majority of our guests would be flying in on thrusday but thought they would arrive by 3pm and they would have enough time to check in and relax before gathering around 7:30pm. 

Well I just found out that the earliest flight from chicago arrives in Punta Cana at 6:30 pm that Thursday (and that is with leaving Chicago at 8:15AM)! That means that by the time they get to the resort and check in it will be around 8pm or later. 

do you think guests would still want to get together after travelling all day??  I'm kind of sad about the whole thing as very few of my guests can travel before Thursday.

I'm I stressing over nothing?  should I continue to plan a welcome dinner for who ever can or would like to make it?

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

what about just an informal cocktail hour or more of a "we'll be here from 9pm-11pm" or something so that people can see you, hang out, and meet everyone else.  that way you save money (yay!) and people aren't stressed about making a dinner.

#3 JayKay

JayKay
      • 3,472 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
      • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
      • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

We are doing this!! Instead of planning a formal be here at this time for this kind of event we are just going to have a more informal get together.  We are planning on doing it at one of the lounges at our resort and will just casual invite people to come and go and mingle and meet with each other.  That way if they are to tired from travelling they dont have to stay long or stop by at all. 

Originally Posted by AnnR 

what about just an informal cocktail hour or more of a "we'll be here from 9pm-11pm" or something so that people can see you, hang out, and meet everyone else.  that way you save money (yay!) and people aren't stressed about making a dinner.

#4 venus909

venus909
      • 328 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

I like this idea of Just having an informal thing and just letting our guests know where we will be and they can just stop by if they feel up to it. Another question...  I'm not sending my invites out till the 2nd week of January, but they have already been printed.  I have a page there that has a three day itinerary and for Thursday it has a welcome celebration listed but no time.  Would it be okay to leave it as is?  Or would I have to take it out if I'm doing an informal thing?

#5 Pucca

Pucca
        • 485 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

We had a Friday wedding and had a bunch of guests come in on Thursday. So we did an informal meet-and-greet cocktail after rehearsal; there was no pressure on people to attend but almost everyone did. It worked out really well and was fun.

As for your invite, I'd leave it as is. The informal cocktail hour counts as a welcome celebration to me. :) 

Originally Posted by venus909 

I like this idea of Just having an informal thing and just letting our guests know where we will be and they can just stop by if they feel up to it. Another question...  I'm not sending my invites out till the 2nd week of January, but they have already been printed.  I have a page there that has a three day itinerary and for Thursday it has a welcome celebration listed but no time.  Would it be okay to leave it as is?  Or would I have to take it out if I'm doing an informal thing?

#6 heavenone

heavenone
          • 169 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

I agree with the informal cocktails. I kinda wish I was doing that instead! If you do still want to plan an event for your group, you could do an excursion on Saturday or champagne brunch any day. 

#7 favorsmr

favorsmr
            • 178 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by AnnR 

I like this idea very much.  I will have to include this in our agenda

#8 SS2012

SS2012
              • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

i think the informal cocktails sounds great! and definitely leave it on the invite, it didnt have a time! i think i will look into this idea of the informal cocktail meet and greet :)

#9 Tia529

Tia529
                • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I like the informal cocktails.  We're getting married on a Friday, too, and we're asking guests to meet Thursday night for cocktails and then for a catamaran cruise on Saturday.  I didn't want to ask for more than that, because I want people to relax and enjoy their vacation.

#10 venus909

venus909
                  • 328 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thank you ladies!  I have definitley decided to stick with the informal cocktails especially after hearing all of your feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users