Jump to content

Photo

Excellence Riviera Cancun Brides?


  • Please log in to reply
1745 replies to this topic

#371 Rebecca1314

Rebecca1314
  • Newbie
  • 30 posts

    Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

    Originally Posted by ampanda52 

    I'm planning on shipping a big box of stuff in about a month. I'm concerned it will be expensive too. I guess we'll see!!

    When we went we just bought an extra suitcase at TJ Maxx etc. and packed it with everything and it was very easy. We just brought all of our receipts for customs and paid the extra bag fee. Even with those fees it was still less than shipping to the resort and we were able to easily keep track of the bag that way. Our wedding coordinator at EPM told us to be careful with shipping things as customs can get picky on what they allow in duty-free, however, customs at the airport is very familiar with brides bringing items as long as they have their receipts.



    #372 rhiham

    rhiham
    • Newbie
    • 34 posts

      Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

      Originally Posted by Rebecca1314 

      When we went we just bought an extra suitcase at TJ Maxx etc. and packed it with everything and it was very easy. We just brought all of our receipts for customs and paid the extra bag fee. Even with those fees it was still less than shipping to the resort and we were able to easily keep track of the bag that way. Our wedding coordinator at EPM told us to be careful with shipping things as customs can get picky on what they allow in duty-free, however, customs at the airport is very familiar with brides bringing items as long as they have their receipts.

       

      Hi Rebecca! Thanks so much for all the great info.  I'm wondering about receipts and getting through customs with all our stuff - I have receipts for MOST of the items going in the OOT bags, but not everything, as I've been slowly buying things in bulk for such a long time in preparation for the wedding.  What was your experience traveling to Mexico - did customs officials look really hard at your items and your receipts and did they check that you had receipts for EVERYTHING, or did they just check that you had receipts in general?  I'm starting to get nervous! Thanks for your help!



      #373 JessicaC07

      JessicaC07
      • Newbie
      • 20 posts

        Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

        I had 2 carry on size suitcases filled with stuff for my welcome bags. (I had a bridesmaid take one on as her own since the airline only allowed one per person.) I didn't have any receipts. Instead, I printed out my wedding confirmation from Gloria. It had Excellence letterhead, the date of the wedding, confirmation # etc. I put one printed confirmation on the top of the items in each carryon so if they were opened it would be the first thing seen. I had no issues getting through customs whatsoever. The groom actually carried on the second bag, because my carry on item was my dress. I flew on JetBlue, and when I called the airline to ask about carrying on my gown, they told me it would have to be inside a carryon bag. There was no way I was cramming it into a carryon bag...so I just went for it in the garment bag. I figured worst case scenario was I had to buy a carry on at the airport and go through with shoving it in. Pleasantly to my surprise though, I wasn't even questioned about my dress once. I left it in the garment bag from the dress shop. I did fold it in half to make it easier to carry. When I got on the plane, I put it in the overhead compartment just as it was, folded in half. It fit just fine. When I got to the resort it didn't have any wrinkles at all! Maybe I just got lucky with everything, but I honestly had no problems at all getting anything to Mexico.

        #374 nellie

        nellie
        • Newbie
        • 3 posts

          Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

          I got married at the Excellence Riviera last April. I know that when I was doing research before the wedding I found way more people who had all the same questions as me, but I couldn't find a lot of answers from people who had gone through with their wedding. So a wrote a pretty detailed overview (with pictures) here: http://www.thisnerdh...on-wedding.html  

           

          But the short summary is that it was totally perfect. All the things I stressed about beforehand where non issues. I went with the resort-provided photographer, and I was plenty satisfied with the quality of our pictures. The video was pretty no-frills, but it's nice to have. I used their hairdresser, and was happy with the result. I did do my own makeup though, so I can't comment on their makeup artist. Food and service were top notch. All in all, my advice is to stop stressing and go for it!



          #375 nellie

          nellie
          • Newbie
          • 3 posts

            Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

            I got married last April and I had the same problem when I was researching my wedding: lots of people on the threads asking questions and not a lot of people coming back after the wedding to provide feedback. 

             

            So I wrote a pretty detailed account of my wedding at Excellence Riviera Resort here: http://www.thisnerdh...on-wedding.html

             

            The short version is that it all went perfect, and everything that I was stressing about beforehand turned out to be a total non-issue. I used the resort photographer and was happy with the way the pictures came out. The wedding video was no frills, but how often are you really going to watch that anyway? I also used the resort-provided hairstylist (I had the gold package) and I was happy with that as well. I did do my own makeup, so I can't comment on that. Honestly, it was perfect, so don't stress. 



            #376 ampanda52

            ampanda52
            • Newbie
            • 95 posts

              Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

              Originally Posted by nellie 

              I got married last April and I had the same problem when I was researching my wedding: lots of people on the threads asking questions and not a lot of people coming back after the wedding to provide feedback. 

               

              So I wrote a pretty detailed account of my wedding at Excellence Riviera Resort here: http://www.thisnerdh...on-wedding.html

               

              The short version is that it all went perfect, and everything that I was stressing about beforehand turned out to be a total non-issue. I used the resort photographer and was happy with the way the pictures came out. The wedding video was no frills, but how often are you really going to watch that anyway? I also used the resort-provided hairstylist (I had the gold package) and I was happy with that as well. I did do my own makeup, so I can't comment on that. Honestly, it was perfect, so don't stress. 

              Nellie,

               

              I really enjoyed your recap of your wedding!!  I'm having my wedding under the pergola and will have zebra arms, but it's ok by me.  We have 50 people coming!!

               

              I do have a few questions for anyone who has been here recently though...

              Can anyone tell me the types of shows and nightly entertainment they have and what time it usually starts?  I know it's very vague on the website and I have alot of people asking.  Also, does anyone know if there is a piano bar??  I've read a few things that say there is but I think it was on older reviews.  Also, anything else entertainment wise, that I can pass along to my guests? 

               

              Thanks!

              Mandy



              #377 JessicaC07

              JessicaC07
              • Newbie
              • 20 posts

                Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

                Originally Posted by ampanda52 View Post

                Nellie,

                 

                I really enjoyed your recap of your wedding!!  I'm having my wedding under the pergola and will have zebra arms, but it's ok by me.  We have 50 people coming!!

                 

                I do have a few questions for anyone who has been here recently though...

                Can anyone tell me the types of shows and nightly entertainment they have and what time it usually starts?  I know it's very vague on the website and I have alot of people asking.  Also, does anyone know if there is a piano bar??  I've read a few things that say there is but I think it was on older reviews.  Also, anything else entertainment wise, that I can pass along to my guests? 

                 

                Thanks!

                Mandy

                Hi Mandy,

                 

                I was there May 15 - May 25.  The nightly shows usually started at 9:30pm.  I didn't go to all of them, but there is a different show every night.  We noticed it does repeat itself the following week though.  (We were there for 10 days, so the last 3 days were repeats of the same days the previous week). These are the ones I remember: Thursday night was a Cirque Du Soleil type show...they called it a circus show.  It was really fun!  Break dancing mimes, aerial acts, etc.  Saturday night was a Madonna "show".  we didn't go to that.  Another night was a michael jackson "show".  One night was "beatles and queen".  We didn't go to any of the ones that were tribute like shows.  Wednesday night was a Fire show.  There were two guys and two girls that did amazing tricks with fire, and there was a mayan "band" with drums and chanting playing the whole time. It was entertaining.  I do not remember the rest of the shows because we didn't go to many of them.  We usually ended up eating really late and missing them.  When we had our private romantic dinner on the beach, there was a live saxophone player "serenading" us.  It was really nice!

                 

                There wasn't a piano bar that I knew of.  There is a night club though, with a DJ and a dance floor.  It opens at 10:30pm and closes at 1am.  That was a blast!!!  We went there Thursday night and Friday night.  The wedding was Friday, but the reception ended at 11pm.  So we all went to the club after to keep the party going.  It was a lot of fun!



                #378 TrishaJ34

                TrishaJ34
                • Newbie
                • 41 posts

                  Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

                  Hi ladies, are you/did you take your real wedding rings down there? Hope planning is going well!! The new pics and reviews are making me even more excited! Beautiful!

                  #379 JessicaC07

                  JessicaC07
                  • Newbie
                  • 20 posts

                    Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

                    Originally Posted by TrishaJ34 View Post

                    Hi ladies, are you/did you take your real wedding rings down there? Hope planning is going well!! The new pics and reviews are making me even more excited! Beautiful!

                     

                    Hi Trisha,

                     

                    We took our real wedding rings. I had my engagement ring polished and cleaned professionally at the jewelry store before leaving as well, so it looked brand new.  I didn't want to get them dirty at all, so I didn't wear my engagement ring until the ceremony.  I carried the rings on in my tote bag on the plane.  I didn't carry a purse, just the tote.  So the tote was my personal item that fit under the seat in front of me.  I wasn't letting those rings out of my site!



                    #380 ampanda52

                    ampanda52
                    • Newbie
                    • 95 posts

                      Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

                      Thanks for the show info JessicaC!  Also, what time do the bars around the resort close?  Is it 1:30 like the dance club or earlier?

                       

                      We plan to bring our real rings.  I hope to have my polished too :)

                       

                      Mandy






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users