Hush hush legal ceremony

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I posted before, but we are doing the legal ceremony in the US and keeping it our little secret. We will fill out the paperwork, make an appointment with a judge and afterwards, go out to dinner to celebrate! Probably pizza!

Ok, so then you just need a minister who is able to sign your license for TX (or a justice of the peace, but those are generally judges). Let me look around and see if I can find the requirements for TX to be minister and perform marriages. Stay tuned!

Allie you're too sweet to put that much thought into it! We'll be doing the civil ceremony here in San Antonio so I'll definitely look into it!! Thanks soooo much!!

Hey ladies!  

I know this thread is older, but I thought I would put in my two cents. ;-)  My date is 2/14/2014 in Riviera Maya.

I've actually been to a destination wedding down there before. My friend worded everything and totally played off the whole thing like it was a legal ceremony. For the past 3 years up until recently I thought this was the case. But now that I'm planning my own DW and have been researching and realizing what the legal requirements are, I asked her about it, knowing that her husbands best friend did not legally marry them. I asked her if they did a symbolic ceremony and her reply was "yeah, the whole thing down there was fake". Um..... I felt so dumb and dooped. And worst of all, she never mentioned this part 9 months ago when I got engaged and started to talk about A DW down there. Guess she was never going to tell me. lol

We thought about doing the legal ceremony, but the costs are so much more. And my FI is Jewish so we really want (and have found) a Rabbi in that area who will do an interfaith ceremony for him AND me. :)

I am using wording such as "We are exchanging our vows on...." and "join us for the celebration of our marriage". Those close to us already know and are fine with it. I think many of you will find that most of your guests won't care and will of course still go. I would have still gone to my friends wedding if I had known. But now I almost feel deceived by the way hers was handled.

Just wanted to give an insight from someone who has been on the other end of this situation. Your guests will feel most likely feel deceived as I do if you aren't upfront about things. I know my view is not the norm on this thread, but again, I have been on the receiving end of a hush hush situation.

Bingo! http://www.themonastery.org/tools/wedding_laws/?wide=usa&narrow=texas

http://www.ehow.com/how_8620305_become-ordained-minister-san-antonio.html

It almost seems TOO easy, but it says you can contact the county, and then provide them with whatever certificates, etc. they require (which you can buy from that organization fairly cheap!). 

Let me know what you guys decide to do. I'm curious!! 

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

Ok, so then you just need a minister who is able to sign your license for TX (or a justice of the peace, but those are generally judges). Let me look around and see if I can find the requirements for TX to be minister and perform marriages. Stay tuned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billandstina View Post

Allie you're too sweet to put that much thought into it! We'll be doing the civil ceremony here in San Antonio so I'll definitely look into it!! Thanks soooo much!!

• 1 month later...
Hey ladies, I am curious if anyone else is feeling this way... We are getting married in Mexico May 2012(6 months!!) but we plan on doing the legal ceremony here a week or 2 before. I have not checked into whats involved yet but am hoping we just have to go to the court house & sign some papers. We do not plan on exchanging rings or anything.  We want to do that in Mexico. And we dont want to tell anyone about this because we dont want people to think Mexico is just a waste of time esp from the people who complained about it(father!) and we dont want anyone to come along when we do this either. So now I am having a hard time not telling a few people. When my friends or our mothers asksay things about the wedding I sort of feel bad & almost like I am lying to them about the ceremony in Mexico when technically we will already be married. And I am also wondering if they do it different in Mexico if you are not doing the legal. For example they dont do the finger prints & signing the doc...if we dont do this stuff then will people realize this isnt legal!?! How has everyone handled this? Just dont think of it that way & not worry about it or about people finding out? Maybe its just me & I am being paranoid! 
we are also getting married before we go and we haven't told anyone except for our witnesses and they are sworn to secrecy. The ceremony is official as far as our family and friends are concerned its legit!

Hi ladies! I just read all the comments on this thread and I feel so much better! We're getting married April 2014 and we want a civil ceremony, but I've made the request 3 months ago and the judge in Punta Cana is not able to confirm our date yet... I am so stressful because I wanted to go ahead with my invitations a year before our wedding so the clock is ticking! Since last week, a few people told me about the symbolic wedding because it's less complicated and since there's one judge to do all the civil weddings in Punta Cana you have to be very flexible with your date, which I'm not! We were so torn between a civil and a symbolic wedding especially concerning our guests reaction of "not being official" there... it's very nice to see that I'm not alone feeling like this! And by any chance if someone is getting "legally" married in 2014, can you let me know if you had some news from the civil judge!?? Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by yunric View Post

::update::

we got legal about 10 days ago now and are so happy we did it!  

That said- it has in no way diminished my excitement for the 'big' day in Mexico!  I anyone wants the information on a great officiant that comes to your house (!!)  let me know!

Rev. Mandi Neiser came to our house and we did a quietly meaningful consenting of marriage in our backyard.  We live in Toronto and she does the golden horseshoe, so anything Etobicoke to Niagara- she is based in Stoney Creek.  PM me and I'd be happy to give you her info.

That sounds great...... Could you tell me what happened at your ceremony?  Did you sign any papers there since it was symbolic?  You see I am in a predicament, my parents and extended family are coming all the way from Scotland to Jamaica for our wedding, but my Fiance's parents cannot make it to Jamaica due to health constraints.  We thought it would be a nice gesture to have legal ceremony here with his parents, then the ring/exchange etc at the DW.  I don't want anyone to know other than his parents and the witnesses.  But was unsure if it would look "not legal" at the destination.  Your thoughts?