Photo

DIY Brooch Bouquet Tutorial - LOTS OF PICS!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Julietisurs

Julietisurs
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hello Brides!

I few months ago I heard Miranda Lambert carried a brooch bouquet down the aisle. I had no clue was it was...I googled it and thought brooch bouquets were the neatest thing! I was on the hunt for one until I found out they ran for about $300 up to $1,500 on etsy.

My Champagne Taste On A Beer Budget Begins....I'm going to have to make it myself.

I looked up as many tutorials on this myself. It turns out there are two methods to a brooch bouquet.

You may use:

1. floral tape and wires or

2. use a Styrofoam ball

After many many tries using floral tape & wires I ended up frustrated and used a Styrofoam ball. The floral tape and wires made my bouquet lumpy and uneven. As many times as I tried to fix it, it just looked like a HOT MESS!

Here are some pictures of my finished brooch bouquet with the Styrofoam ball.

Back Side aka "his side":photoflowers_back.JPG

Front Side aka "her side":photoflowers.JPG

Close up of my side: close_up.JPG

Top view: topview.JPG

Bottom view: bottom2.JPG

Materials I used:

-Styrofoam Ball (6 inch)

-Wooden Dowel Rod (8 inch)

-Hot Glue Gun

-3 real touch green hydrangeas

-Satin Ribbon

-Corsage Pins

-Spray paint (optional)

-about 50 brooches (from eBay, local flee markets and sammoon.com)

1. Using a large kitchen knife, I started off cutting 1/3 off the Styrofoam ball. *Note* if you like a more round or ball looking bouquet cut off 1/3. If you only like a dome shape you should cut 1/2 off.

2. I'm a bit anal and did not want to see any part of the white Styrofoam ball so I spray painted it silver to begin with. You may skip this step if you like.

3. Layout your brooches of how you would want to see them on your displayed.

4. With the flat side down on the table, start to hot glue them to the Styrofoam ball. Position them as close together as possible. Hold each brooch to Styrofoam until glue is dry.

5. Start to cut the petals off the hydrangeas like this..

bevfabriccrafts_2001_155837528.jpg

6. Hot glue the petals to fill in the gaps between your brooches. Continue doing this around the ball. Make sure you are rotating and balancing colors and textures.

7. Once all spaces are filled, LET IT DRY. Once it is dry we can start making the bouquet handle. Use scissors or knife to make a 2 inch deep hole in the middle of the flat side of Styrofoam. Fill the hole with hot glue, then insert the wooden rod. Hold until dry.

8. Cut leaves off the hydrangea stem and hot glue to base of brooch bouquet.

9. Wrap the handle with satin ribbon. Secure with pins and hot glue. Done!

I hope this can help some brides out there. Let me know if you have any questions!

#2 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Great Pictorial Juliet!  we featured it!

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 Julietisurs

Julietisurs
    • 261 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Tammy :) I sure hope it helps others.

Originally Posted by Tammy Host 

Great Pictorial Juliet!  we featured it!

#4 bruceg05

bruceg05
      • Site Supporter
      • 67 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'm thinking about doing this!  You did a great job :)

Originally Posted by Julietisurs 

Thanks Tammy :) I sure hope it helps others.

#5 kks2012

kks2012
        • Site Supporter
        • 241 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

I love this idea. How much did it run you once you were done?

#6 bondgirl0072010

bondgirl0072010
          • 789 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

AWESOME JOB!! 

Hello Brides!

I few months ago I heard Miranda Lambert carried a brooch bouquet down the aisle. I had no clue was it was...I googled it and thought brooch bouquets were the neatest thing! I was on the hunt for one until I found out they ran for about $300 up to $1,500 on etsy.

My Champagne Taste On A Beer Budget Begins....I'm going to have to make it myself.

I looked up as many tutorials on this myself. It turns out there are two methods to a brooch bouquet.

You may use:

1. floral tape and wires or

2. use a Styrofoam ball

After many many tries using floral tape & wires I ended up frustrated and used a Styrofoam ball. The floral tape and wires made my bouquet lumpy and uneven. As many times as I tried to fix it, it just looked like a HOT MESS!

Here are some pictures of my finished brooch bouquet with the Styrofoam ball.

Back Side aka "his side":photoflowers_back.JPG

Front Side aka "her side":photoflowers.JPG

Close up of my side: close_up.JPG

Top view: topview.JPG

Bottom view: bottom2.JPG

Materials I used:

-Styrofoam Ball (6 inch)

-Wooden Dowel Rod (8 inch)

-Hot Glue Gun

-3 real touch green hydrangeas

-Satin Ribbon

-Corsage Pins

-Spray paint (optional)

-about 50 brooches (from eBay, local flee markets and sammoon.com)

1. Using a large kitchen knife, I started off cutting 1/3 off the Styrofoam ball. *Note* if you like a more round or ball looking bouquet cut off 1/3. If you only like a dome shape you should cut 1/2 off.

2. I'm a bit anal and did not want to see any part of the white Styrofoam ball so I spray painted it silver to begin with. You may skip this step if you like.

3. Layout your brooches of how you would want to see them on your displayed.

4. With the flat side down on the table, start to hot glue them to the Styrofoam ball. Position them as close together as possible. Hold each brooch to Styrofoam until glue is dry.

5. Start to cut the petals off the hydrangeas like this..

bevfabriccrafts_2001_155837528.jpg

6. Hot glue the petals to fill in the gaps between your brooches. Continue doing this around the ball. Make sure you are rotating and balancing colors and textures.

7. Once all spaces are filled, LET IT DRY. Once it is dry we can start making the bouquet handle. Use scissors or knife to make a 2 inch deep hole in the middle of the flat side of Styrofoam. Fill the hole with hot glue, then insert the wooden rod. Hold until dry.

8. Cut leaves off the hydrangea stem and hot glue to base of brooch bouquet.

9. Wrap the handle with satin ribbon. Secure with pins and hot glue. Done!

I hope this can help some brides out there. Let me know if you have any questions!

#7 Cynlee143

Cynlee143
            • 174 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Wow looks amazing!!!

#8 brendee2005

brendee2005
              • 456 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

Great job ! Looks beautiful

#9 Julietisurs

Julietisurs
                • 261 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Brooches were the bulk of the cost. All my family and friends to help me collect the brooches for several months before I started this project.

On Facebook, I post a picture of a brooch bouquet and wrote:

I love this idea. How much did it run you once you were done?

#10 AD2012

AD2012
                  • 240 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

You’ve inspired me! Thanks for posting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users