Will be 40 and second marriage - dress etiquite?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nimbleknits

• 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'll be turning 40 the year I get married.  This is a second marriage for the both of us, and all the wedding dresses that I'm finding for my DW, are white, or ivory - is it wrong for me to wear white?  My sister also had a DW, and she said that most brides wear white for the beach weddings because the color pops in the photos.

does anyone have an opinion?

#2 aquamaniac

• 239 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

In my personal opinion, wear what you feel comfortable in and what you'd like to wear. Whether its your first wedding or tenth, its still your wedding and you should follow what you want to do versus the etiquette imposed by others. 

(PS just because its a second wedding doesn't mean it should be any less special)

#3 sunstarsmoon

• 2,233 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:43 AM

I turned 50 a few days before my wedding and I wore a long traditional ivory lace dress by maggie Sottero (also a 2nd marriage for the both of us). I say wear what you want. Especially for a DW anything goes!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#4 2012mrstobe

• 164 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I will be 42 when I get married next year and this will be wedding #2 for both of us as well. My concern wasn't really whether I should wear white or ivory because it was my second wedding but rather to where white or ivory because my FI will be wearing all white linen and I wanted to wear a white dress to match him but just hope the white looks good against my skin. What I didn't want to happen was to have the ivory look better sgsinst my skin and then my ivory dress look pale against his white. I haven't gone dress shopping yet so I don't which color I will ultimatey end up wearing.

#5 kellygrrrl

• 614 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

honestly, these days, I don't think white vs ivory really means anything. it seems people just go with what looks best on them (whereas my mom's mother forbid her to wear white on her wedding day because she was already living with my dad!! ; ) it's just not like that today.

you should wear whichever color you prefer! : )

#6 lmadore

• 128 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

The idea of white was for purity, but a lady whos already been living with her FH and perhaps has kids would wear white so why not you?  Its an old rule that doesnt apply anymore.  Go with what you look good in :) Happy dress hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users