etiquette for Hallmark Holidays (Mother's Day)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spunkimo

• 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi everyone!  I'm new here, so hopefully I'm posting this to the right place.  I'm newly engaged (as 2 days ago!) and we want to do a May 2012 wedding in Playa del Carmen.  Unfortunately, the only weekend open at the venue I like is MOTHER'S DAY weekend!  Ahhh!

So, it seems the general consensus for NON destination weddings is that Mother's Day weekend is perfectly acceptable, but what about a destination wedding (most people will be away from home/traveling that Sunday)?  Is this good to go, or an etiquette no-no?

#2 JayKay

• 3,472 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

I don't think it would be a problem.  Mothers day is not really a holiday that most people celebrate, more just a day to get together with your mom.  For most people, its just a phone call or a card in the mail, not a big fancy turkey dinner like most other holidays.  I say if thats the only weekend thats available then go for it.

#3 JPenny

• 102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

I agree with PP. I think you're fine to do it that weekend. I don't think guests would be too upset about it.

#4 Jamie5280

• 675 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think it is totally fine to do it over that weekend.  My b-day always falls on or around mother's day and I still celebrate my b-day over mother's day (but I don't like my step mom) !!!  HA!!!  I think you will be just fine and will not offend anyone!!!  :)

#5 Jamie5280

• 675 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

I meant to add, your wedding is very important and most will understand!!!

#6 spunkimo

• 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback!  I contacted the resort (La Reve), but they are already in the booking process for a corporate retreat that weekend!!  GAH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users