Originally Posted by nursebrooke
Hello girls! So I just got back on Monday!! I already want to go back. We had an amazing trip and wedding!!!
I had my wedding on the beach at 5:30. I wanted to have the beach because I felt as though I had gone to Cancun I better get married on the beach which I do not regret. My wedding was supposed to be at 6 but there was another party that was larger so the coordinator asked if we wanted to do it early. The ceremony was a little different. We had legal. We wanted to do our own vows but the judge did not want us to say those before we said the legal vows, so it felt off to us. We basically really early on in the ceremony said our I do's and then went back to our own vows. Then we did this fingerprinting part that was different and then the sand ceremony. I think since it is a Mexican legal ceremony it is just a little different. Things were far from perfect during this ceremony but we are a pretty easy going couple so we just went with it and everyone who knows us thought it was perfect for us. The music was off for some reason, I chose to just forget about it because it was done already!! LOL
I brought all my own centerpieces and my coordinator set them all up for me. I had to take them to her office and show her what I wanted it to look like but she was very helpful! My Zuniga rentals were great and Lily was super helpful she met me one day at the resort so I could pick colors for tablecloths (I was worried they would clash my colors and bridesmaids dresses). I did not rent extra lighting on the sky terrace and there was plenty. I did not end up tipping my coordinator. It was in my to do list but fell through the cracks,
Then we went for pictures while our guests went up to the sky terrace for cocktail hour. We did not get there for any of this by the time we came up everyone was ready to sit down and eat. I never heard if the food was good.
We were very rushed during pictures because the sun was getting ready to set and WARNING!!!!!! At beach palace you cannot get good sunset pictures on the beach. The hotel blocks the sun so it just goes down and there is really no good place to take pictures. So for this fact I would say do the ceremony a little earlier so you are not rushed during pictures with the sun going down just to get sunset pics.
Then we sat for dinner but even at dinner we were trying to finish pics so we let everyone start before us. We had 30 guests so things move very quickly with such a small group. We had also all been together for multiple days prior so everyone had already been together and gotten to know each other already. Dinner was good. We had yucatan menu. I would say go for another menu because you get a lot of Mexican during your stay already. During dinner everyone did speeches and we had a LOT of talkers which we were enjoying because it goes to show the love people have for us. There were tears all around the entire place!! It was really special. We then did cake cutting. Cake was so yummy, we had cheesecake! I wish I had enjoyed some more of it.
Then we had dancing. We only had first dance for us and then moved on to dancing for everyone. We did things less than traditional. The ipod dock setup was PERFECT! It had great sound and all the music we love since we had made the playlists. We just gave the guy running it directions on the dinner playlist, first dance and then dancing playlist and he ran it great.
The people at the resort that served us during dinner were fabulous! They took great care of the two of us as well as our guests. There was never a shortage of drinks.
The wedding day went SO incredibly fast. I always hear that is how it goes but for some reason I thought it being a smaller group and destination wedding it would not feel like that but no! It flew by and I feel like I am trying to remember details everyday!!
I think the biggest word of advice I can give you girls is to try to relax and not worry everything. I spent the first few days of my vacation worrying about wedding details that in the end I did not even notice and did not really matter. I wish I had spent the time just enjoying my vacation. I did not feel completely relaxed until after the wedding which left us only 2 days. I had an amazing time but it would have been that much better.
So for the beach palace review. It is amazing. It is gorgeous. The people there are so nice!! They remember drinks that you ordered the day before. They go out of their way to help you. We tipped very well the entire trip because they work so hard to make your vacation even better. None of the staff ever mentioned us being married there. I had heard that this would happen but it did not. But honestly it did not matter because it was great anyways!! The beach is so perfect!!! Every morning I would wake up and think this beach and water is not real!! LOL
The food is very good. The steakhouse, not so much. It was my least favorite. We spend many days just going to the buffet or ordering poolside food or room service because we did not want to leave the beach or the pool until late and when I finally got to the restaurants (the Italian and the Japanese) I was very mad at myself!!! These two restaurants were SOOO good!! Get the bananas foster at the Italian. I only ended up eating once at Japanese The sushi was so good! I wish they opened for lunch that would have been better. The bad thing I can say about beach palace is the pool bars and the pool closes up very early. For poolside food the cheeseburger was very good, the chips and guac are good. For room service it is the same as the pool food with some added stuff. The pizza is very good! They start shows at night so I am not sure if this is why they shut it all down early but it is a major bummer!! We frequently continued our party down at the beach with our ipod dock and we would ask for an entire bottle of alcohol and mixers before they closed and they happily obliged...I do think my husband tipped very well though! The Michael Jackson show is good.
For resort credits we barely used any of them. Myself and all my guests used all of the spa credits but not much of the others. My kids wanted to do the dolphin swim but in order to use resort credits you have to do an almost full day tour which includes stopping at some water park that looks not that great. So we opted to get our own transportation and pay out of pocket which ended up costing almost $400. But it was worth it to not waste an entire day on an excursion and for my kids to do the one thing they really wanted to do! I did not want to waste full days on excursions. I like to do my own thing so if you like excursions then using the credits will probably work out ok. Every night we ate at the restaurants I got a nice bottle of wine with my credits which was nice. I should have ordered more of it!!
I don't know what else to tell you all!!! I am having post vacation depression and looking at pics and talking about it on this review makes me want to go back! It was so nice. I cannot wait to go back!!
Sorry if this is jumbled or does not make sense I have tons of thoughts in my head and am frantically typing. Let me know if you would like to know anything else. I think you will all have your own experiences and a fabulous time I wish I could rewind...
Oh how exciting! I'm so glad you had an amazing time! I can't wait to see your pictures.
Here's some questions I have...
1) I've heard the same thing about the sun being blocked by the hotel. My wedding isn't till July, and my ceremony is at 6:00 p.m. Sun doesn't go gown till 7:30 p.m. in July, so I'm hoping this gives us enough sunlight and time to get good pictures. What do you think? I didn't want to do an earlier ceremony time because of heat. Was your dress heavy? Were you burning hot? I'm scared I'm going to be sweating up a storm lol!
2) Did you do a colin cowie package theme? I'm doing Pearl Shimmer.
3) I'm glad to hear the food was good! I went to an all-inclusive resort (Dreams Resort) in Cancun about 5 years ago, and the food was not very good. I'm hoping since the Beach Palace is a 5 star hotel that the food will be better. And from your review it looks as though it is! Exciting!
4) Did you use Ocean Photo Studio for your photography? If so, which package did you choose?
5) I'm glad to hear the sky terrace didn't need much extra lighting. What other decor did you use through Zuniga?
6) I was debating a beach ceremony. Was it private enough, or were people walking by?
7) I'm glad the IPOD setup worked out well. We're doing an IPOD setup with an extra speaker for cocktail and reception. You didn't have a DJ right? I don't think it's worth it to hire the DJ. Did someone in your family do the announcements?
8) Did you have a 2 tier cake? Was the whole thing cheesecake? I'm doing a marble cake with the chantilly cover, but if it's 2 tier I'm wondering if they can do one tier with cheesecake. From what you said the cheesecake is awesome! It's making me want to choose that one! lol
9) Did you get a massage in the spa? I just reserved a holistic couple's massage for my fiance and I the morning after the wedding. I'm excited for that!
10) Did you go on the Cancun strip at all? I have good memories of partying at some of the clubs and bars on the strip. I just want to make sure Beach Palace is close to all of that?
Congratulations again on everything! Please post a link to pictures or your facebook so we can see pictures from your trip! So glad everything turned out perfect!