• Please log in to reply
2048 replies to this topic

#1931 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 20, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

@stephygirl Did you have centerpieces for your rehearsal dinner? I can't decide how much decorating I need to do for that.

#1932 stephygirl

stephygirl
  • 37 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 28, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace Resort - Cancun, Mexico

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

@Danielle1 - Sorry I think you asked this before and I translated "rehearsal" to "reception" in my head :) !  We did not have any centerpieces for the rehearsal dinner.  We pretty much did a no-frills rehearsal dinner - no music, no decor, etc.  I think everyone had a good time and nobody really noticed or cared about the lack of decor.  It was mostly just a fun dinner to welcome everyone - and my husband and I gave quick speeches thanking everyone for coming (sans microphone).

Any update from your WC on size of your reception location?

#1933 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

@stephygirl Did you have to rent lights for the rehearsal dinner? I'm glad to know that your guests enjoyed it without decor - the rentals get so expensive.  My WC told me that the sky bare south can have up to 200 for a buffet dinner...  Gama (where I'm renting lighting and decor from) also seemed okay with it... so I guess I will just go with it! I'm having a welcome party on Thursday night before my wedding and its scheduled for the sky bar north... I'm slightly worried about it just looking like my reception.  I hope the reception will still be special!

#1934 stephygirl

stephygirl
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

@Danielle1 - 200 people?!?!? I can't even picture how that could be physically possible, but I guess they know better than me.  I just can't imagine all the tables and a large enough dance floor being able to fit.  But like I said, they should know better than me.  To give you some idea - you should check out this pinterest board, especially the aerial view and the sky bar pictures.  

https://www.pinteres...beach-palace/  

Also, watch the video at this link - you can see the aerial view of a setup of a wedding on the sky bar south: http://weddings.pala...el/beach-palace

We did not rent lights for the rehearsal dinner - it was bright enough even after the sun went down.  I think they had set up lights for us?  I can't exactly remember!  

I'm sure your reception will be special - not only because of the music and decor differences, but also because people will be so excited about your special day!

#1935 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

@stephygirl Thanks! That pinterest board is definitely helpful.  Does the sky bar north have a pool as well? Are those open during the day? It does look small to me, but I'm going to try to just go with what they say and hope for the best! haha :)

#1936 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

@Danielle1 Really? 200? That actually surprises me because I heard that it's not a very large space. I think I remember another bride on here who has close to 100 guests and may not have been able to accommodate them on the rooftop terrace.

I have been to BP and I don't remember the space being that large on the roof, but if so, that's pretty amazing!

@stephygirl It's good to hear you didn't need lights. I purchased a few LED paper lanterns and planned to use those on the tables for the rehearsal/welcome dinners. I didn't want to invest much into those dinners since the set-up and general pricing is not cheap at all. I figured I would allocate any available budget I had to the actual day.. plus it will make the wedding reception look that much better :D

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#1937 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

@perianjay It looks small to me too! Now I am nervous... I've told her several times though that we would have around 100 people. I think we'll have 90 at the least and maybe up to 110. I wonder if I should just request a location change? It is such a pretty space though.

#1938 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

@Danielle1 I know what you mean! We're having ours there, but a much smaller amount of people (32). Did you ask your WC how many it would fit comfortably with a dance floor etc?

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#1939 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

@perianjay yes I did ask her and she said 200... which doesn't seem possible (not that I need to fit 200 comfortably, but I do need space for 100). I just emailed her again to confirm that that includes space for a dance floor, DJ, all of the tables, etc. It's so pretty that I want it to work out, but I'm terrified of getting there and needing to change everything at the last minute.

#1940 stephygirl

stephygirl
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

@Danielle1 - The sky bar north has a pool as well, and both are open for the day.  At night, they kind of barricade your side off with tables for the buffet, dj, etc.  However, note that the other side of the sky bar WILL be open to the general public.  Also, there is a women's bathroom on the sky bar south side and a men's bathroom on the sky bar north side.  So, there will likely be people sneaking over from the other side to use the bathroom on your event side.  I know there was a wedding on the Sky Bar the same night as our rehearsal dinner - we all partied on the sky bar afterwards and some of us girls snuck over to the other side to use the bathroom over by the wedding.

Also, I'm sure your BP coordinator will tell you that 100 to 110 people is fine.  She will probably tell you that you can fit up to 200.  But keep in mind that is probably the MAXIMUM they can fit up there.  Meaning that is a very tightly packed, bare bones space.  If you're looking for a decent-sized dance floor (one where you don't have to break down tables), buffet tables, cake table, DJ, and tables for all your guests - my guess is it would be a very tight space for your group size.  Sorry to stress you out and make you anxious about this, I just want to make sure you consider your options.

I just separately asked my husband "do you think you could fit a 110 person wedding on the sky bar at beach palace" and here was his response:

[7/27/2015 2:51 PM] :

not comfortably?

seems a bit much

you could

just packed

@perianjay - i think your lanterns will be perfect!  Totally know what you mean about wanting to allocate most of your budget to the wedding; that's exactly how we felt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users