Photo

DIY Spanish Phrases for OOT bags

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mari15t

mari15t
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

My wedding is taking place in Cabo San Lucas, MX next month. Although, me and my family speak spanish fluently, many of my wedding guests do not. I really wanted to include "spanish phrases for dummies" pocketbook edition in our OOT bags, but as I'm sure many of you can relate to, this wedding budget means cutting back on certain things.  I decided I wanted to try and make my own spanish phrases cards- just on colored cardstock to maybe include some basic everyday phrases and then some funny ones like " may I have another tequila" or "what's your room number", etc.  Is this a silly idea????

Has anyone else ever done this? And if so, what types of phrases did you use? Need ideas.... Please help..

#2 jmastr05

jmastr05
    • 189 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

I think that your guests will find the phrases very helpful. And including some cute/funny ones will make it fun! Here are some suggestions for the useful words/phrases other than the typical stuff (hello, where is the..., please, thank you, how are you, etc).

Numbers: When I went to Brazil, I purchased one of the phrase books that you mentioned. My husband (at that time he was my BF though) took it upon himself to learn numbers in Portuguese. I teased him about it, but the numbers turned out to be the most useful part of our limited Portuguese vocabulary! Prices, room numbers, quantities, phone numbers, addresses, times... we constantly needed to communicate numbers.

Foods: I have many friends who are vegetarians, a cousin with several food allergies, and a number of relatives with diabetes. I am sure people with specific dietary needs as well as those without would like to know how to say certain foods or types of food. So perhaps words like meat, nuts, shrimp, sugar, etc.

False cognates: "Embarasada" is always my favorite Spanish false cognate! I am sure you can find other (more useful) ones on the internet (or even some other funny ones).

#3 Laurelyn

Laurelyn
      • 215 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Another bride posted this on a different thread but this link http://www.single-se...ase_booklet.php  is for a free spanish phrase book that you can print out and then make in to a book. 

#4 mari15t

mari15t
        • 72 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thanks, ladies! This helps!

#5 alysam4785

alysam4785
          • 176 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by Laurelyn 

Another bride posted this on a different thread but this link http://www.single-se...ase_booklet.php  is for a free spanish phrase book that you can print out and then make in to a book. 

#6 LalaJ

LalaJ
            • 157 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

great tip, could come in handy for some of my guests. They could have fun with it as well.

Hard Rock Punta Cana May 12, 2012

#7 jillybeans127

jillybeans127
              • 165 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

love the "Spanish for Dummies" idea

#8 Josie Fiorda

Josie Fiorda
                • 198 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

great idea!

#9 Elainer3