AHR - I need some advice

asiamarie1

Originally Posted by DwBride2Be View Post

He is onboard about Registering and the AHR!!   We just aren't going to send out Registry cards with the AHR invitations (DW invitations have already gone out and no registry info or gift info in there either), so basically if people ask, we will tell them and it'll be word of mouth only, but there will not be a blatant mention of it, so people can make up their own minds on what they want to do.

Now's the fun part of actually going and doing the registering!  Have you done that?   Where did you go?

L

I have done that and I went to Target, but I am also going to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond because I absolutely love that store. We are doing the same thing, if they ask letting them know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm with you Miss Bubbles..

We're going to register, but it'll just be a word of mouth registry.   

I've been researching doing a Sunday Brunch reception..I love that idea because then we can just have coffee, tea, juice pop, maybe champagne for a toast..but otherwise booze free!  Also Breakfasts are cheaper than dinners, and actually cutting the alcohol will save us more than just doing the cocktail/hor d'eurve (I don't know how to spell it either lol, and I should know!) would be.  

I made a list the other day, and we'll have about 120-150 people, EEK!  That's why we moved it out of my parent house and will have to get a banquet hall.

I had to go shopping last weekend for a gift for my cousin's shower and wedding this summer..and actually it made me kinda excited to register!!  I might do it at Crate and Barrel or the Bay.  I haven't quite decided.

My parents said the same thing, that everyone else has gotten gifts whether they could go to the wedding or not, so why shouldn't you..and the truth is, FI and I do need alot of stuff, we're living off hand-me-down's and the cheap Ikea starter kits..so it would be super nice to get some upgrades and some applicances we do not have.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I'm with you Miss Bubbles.. We're going to register, but it'll just be a word of mouth registry.    I've been researching doing a Sunday Brunch reception..I love that idea because then we can just have coffee, tea, juice pop, maybe champagne for a toast..but otherwise booze free!  Also Breakfasts are cheaper than dinners, and actually cutting the alcohol will save us more than just doing the cocktail/hor d'eurve (I don't know how to spell it either lol, and I should know!) would be.   I made a list the other day, and we'll have about 120-150 people, EEK!  That's why we moved it out of my parent house and will have to get a banquet hall. I had to go shopping last weekend for a gift for my cousin's shower and wedding this summer..and actually it made me kinda excited to register!!  I might do it at Crate and Barrel or the Bay.  I haven't quite decided. My parents said the same thing, that everyone else has gotten gifts whether they could go to the wedding or not, so why shouldn't you..and the truth is, FI and I do need alot of stuff, we're living off hand-me-down's and the cheap Ikea starter kits..so it would be super nice to get some upgrades and some applicances we do not have.
HI I read your post in this thread and wanted to say you and FI do what pleases you-you deserve nothing but the best for your wedding DW or not! I thought I would share what we are doing-instead of a banquet hall for the AHR look into community centres in your area. For example an arena that rents out banquet like rooms which usually includes tables and chairs and has a bar and a kitchen for your use. Than you do your own bar, own food the way you'd like it weather yourself or hire a caterer for either a buffet home style dinner or just o'dourves?????(spelling again). I hope this helps; other than arenas these halls could be called; legions, leisure centres, sports centres, ect. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree Kay6356 ...a banquet hall is a smart way to go. I belong to my local Volunteer Fire Co as an auxiliary member and I am renting the hall for out AHR. Well that is if it's up and running. We just had a fire in the firehouse, and at this point I may need to find another venue. Hoping to have a definite answer in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, usually banquet halls are cheaper and you are able to do your own cooking etc...makes having an AHR that much more affordable.

• 4 weeks later...

12/29 seems a tough time to have one because it's holiday time.  People may get annoyed.   I would wait til early Spring when things warm up?  Or even Summer in case there's lots of children/families you want to attend? I don't think there are rules when it comes to this, but some people on here may disagree.

My fiance and I are getting married in April in the Dominican Republic.  A few members of my family have been a huge stress on me because they a) don't understand a destination wedding idea B) think it's too expensive and are asking me to have a wedding stateside instead (ie Fort Lauderdale, The Keys, etc which would be more expensive but they don't seem to get that).  Therefore, we came up with the idea of having an at home reception in NYC or NJ after the wedding - in June when kids are out of school.  At first I thought it would be a simple BBQ style party at my brother's home, with white tent, catered, etc. but now thinking we'll have to make this bigger at a local venue, tbd.  Point is, I don't think there are rules when you have the AHR, but I do think it's nice to do especially for people that may want to come to your destination wedding but simply can't afford it.  I just hope that this appeases everyone...