OFFICIAL Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Thread

@@Gino15, we just got married in October, stayed in Coba and had the choice of restaurant in either Coba or Tulum.  

Here are the menus the resort sent me while I was planning.  I hope the links still work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Z4XuvqT5HwOFlXT0cxUll0TVE - Tulum

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Z4XuvqT5Hwc2ZZUTRDV25ZMnM - Coba

We also had a small group (22 including bride and groom) and we had our reception poolside.  The poolside reception was $250USD to privatize the area.  We opted for the least expensive bar option which was a cocktail bar and that was $6USD per person, per hour.  Sound equipment was $70USD an hour for 1 mic and 1 speaker for us to plug our phone into.

I did my own makeup so I can't comment on the spa services.

Are you bringing in your own photographer?  The rates for the in house photographer are quite steep.  We went with the Sunshine package which included 10 free photos but had the option of buying 70 photos in a CD with a printed book for $900USD.  Which we thought was a little crazy for only 70 photos.

I hope this helps!  I'm not sure if the prices have changed but those were the ones I got and I started planning in January 2016 and got married in October 2016.

@@Gino15, we just got married in October, stayed in Coba and had the choice of restaurant in either Coba or Tulum.  

Here are the menus the resort sent me while I was planning.  I hope the links still work.

We also had a small group (22 including bride and groom) and we had our reception poolside.  The poolside reception was $250USD to privatize the area.  We opted for the least expensive bar option which was a cocktail bar and that was $6USD per person, per hour.  Sound equipment was $70USD an hour for 1 mic and 1 speaker for us to plug our phone into.

Are you bringing in your own photographer?  The rates for the in house photographer are quite steep.  We went with the Sunshine package which included 10 free photos but had the option of buying 70 photos in a CD with a printed book for $900USD.  Which we thought was a little crazy for only 70 photos.

I hope this helps!  I'm not sure if the prices have changed but those were the ones I got and I started planning in January 2016 and got married in October 2016.

Hi @@melaniesum

Getting married in GB Tulum (gazebo) in June 2017. I'm also thinking of doing my own make up :)

We currently have Romance extravaganza package but thinking of switching it to Unforgettable. The difference is the 2 hour open bar after the dinner. We're only in the process of booking our dinner. We'd also like to have a private pool dinner.

My question is  if we opt for Unforgettable package which doesn't include the open bar.. can we still have dancing / open bar after the dinner?

Could you explain to me how the wedding schedule works esp dinner/reception/open bar?

Was the food included in the private pool dinner or is it a la carte? I saw a post with private pool menu on it.

I'm also thinking of hiring outside videographers, would that incur fees on the resort?

Thanks!!

Hi,

On count down now to wedding in June 2017! Have just received wedding pack from Thomas Cook.

Does anybody know what restaurants are linked to Tulum for wedding meal?

We are only a small wedding party (12 in total) possibly a few more max 4 but not confirmed yet.

With only a small party wouldn't mind a little area where we could hire sound equipment for a couple of hours after meal with drinks is this possible ?

Has anyone had thier make up done by the hotel? I'm confident I can do my hair ( ex hairdresser) but not so with make up but don't want it caked on just looking for a bit of feedback really.

Don't overly want to spend too much on extras would rather spend it on photos and video to remember the day and show family & friends who are not fortunate to share our big day.

Any help tips or advice would be well appreciated x

Hi! getting married the day before you :) I was thinking of doing my own make up and getting my hair done there!

I'm a little bit confuse with the dancing after dinner.. is that included in the package or paid separately? 

Best wishes to you and your partner!

• Like 1

Thank you so much Melaniesum you have been so helpful! Congratulations on your wedding hope you had a fantastic time.

Wow the photography is a little on the expensive side! Unfortunately the person back home who is a professional in the family is unable to come so may have to use the hotels : (

Just one more question do they still have the beach party on a Saturday do you know ? Originally the wedding date we had was Mon 5th and read somewhere that they have a beach party at hotel on Saturdays ? Was going to go for my hen do but they changed the wedding date to Saturday so that throws that idea out but just thought I may go to this instead of hiring the poolside for 2hrs after Meal and save the money and for reception back home and have speeches and maybe show the video for everyone to see....also gives me another chance to wear my beautiful dress!

Many thanks again for your help really appreciated x

Hi @@melaniesum

Getting married in GB Tulum (gazebo) in June 2017. I'm also thinking of doing my own make up :)

We currently have Romance extravaganza package but thinking of switching it to Unforgettable. The difference is the 2 hour open bar after the dinner. We're only in the process of booking our dinner. We'd also like to have a private pool dinner.

My question is  if we opt for Unforgettable package which doesn't include the open bar.. can we still have dancing / open bar after the dinner?

Could you explain to me how the wedding schedule works esp dinner/reception/open bar?

Was the food included in the private pool dinner or is it a la carte? I saw a post with private pool menu on it.

I'm also thinking of hiring outside videographers, would that incur fees on the resort?

Thanks!!

Hi! getting married the day before you :) I was thinking of doing my own make up and getting my hair done there!

I'm a little bit confuse with the dancing after dinner.. is that included in the package or paid separately? 

Best wishes to you and your partner!

Hi Rawrice,

Congratulations to you and wish you all the best too.

Great nice to know someone who is getting married around the same time! Hopefully we can share all our info I have been really nervous as booked back in Jan 16 and heard nothing till about October when they decided to change my wedding date at they overbooked the Gazebo! Have just received my wedding pack but didn't have any info about restaurants yet Thomas Cook wanted me to decide which one I wanted ! So glad I melaniesum has replied and given me the helpful links with all the required information. The dancing after dinner is not included as far as I know I have gone with the Sunshine packaging, melaniesum gave the approx charges above of poolside and drinks and hire of sound equipment think you can have a DJ but think that's around $150- $250 each hour instead of $75. So think it can get quite expensive on top how many guests have you got going ?

X

Hi @@rawrice, congratulations! We got married at the gazebo as well and it's breathtaking!  They've painted it completely white and against the blue sky it's just so so so beautiful!  A tip for doing your own makeup, make sure it's heat/sweatproof and get a good setting spray!  It is H-O-T and humid there.

Yes!  We added a private poolside reception for dancing/open bar to our Sunshine package .  To privatize the poolside area it is $250USD for up to 29 ppl and $350USD for 30 or more people.  There are 3 open bar choices - International $18USD pp/per hour, Domestic $12USD pp/per hour and Cocktail $6USD pp/per hour.  

Private dinners are a little different.  We had a semi-private dinner at La Gran Tortuga (included in the package) and then moved out to the poolside for dancing after the cake cutting.  The Deluxe private outdoor dinner is $120USD pp and regular private outdoor dinner is $75USD pp.  On the form it says you can only choose from the Tequila (Tulum) menu or Arlequin (Akumal).

In terms of timeline, our ceremony was at 2PM, dinner at 6PM, cake cutting inside the restaurant at 730PM and moved out to the private poolside area for dancing/open bar at 8PM.

As for the outside photographers, they say that the photographer must stay a minimum of 5 nights and pay a fee of $500USD.  We flew our photographer in and when we met with the wedding coordinator, she informed us that when we meet with Tropic One Studios to tell them that our photographer was our friend (which wasn't a lie) and to ask her to not act so "professional".  During our meeting with Tropic One, they found out that we had our own photographer and since "they have an exclusive contract with Grand Bahia", they asked for our photographer's name so they can Google them and see if they were professional.  We thought "that's it, we definitely have to pay the $500" but the wedding came and went and we even got our 10 free photos included in the package and no mention of the $500.  

All of the information I have is from the Wedding Wishes form the resort sent me.  They kind of dropped the ball sending me the form because we booked our October wedding in January and there was no communication from the resort until I asked them about it in June.  They will also need your complete guest list along with the Wedding Wishes form a month before your wedding.  I would email the resort and ask for the form ASAP because there are so many options to choose from!

Let me know if you have any more questions and happy planning!

Hi @@Gino15, I'm not sure if they still have the Saturday beach party.  :( Have you been dealing with a wedding coordinator from the resort or are you working with one from your travel agency?  I would email the resort because they will know all of the details.  They're really friendly and helpful although sometimes it takes them a few days to reply to an email.

Happy planning!!

@@Gino15

Yeah, I'm kinda nervous too! Glad I found this forum :) Aww really.. well I know everything will work out just fine! I was asking for June 1 but they said it's already booked.

I have 36 guests booked but still expecting a bit more. I'll prolly switch to Sunshine too and upgrade from there :) Thanks for sharing your info :)

@@melaniesum

Thankss! Looking forward to it! Im glad they painted it white. HAHAH yeah I'm preparing for a humid/sweat proof make up. But cant test it here yet cuz it's like -30 C below.. >,<

I prolly wont make it private as I would rather spend the $$ to add more choices on the menu. Would that be a safer choice? They gave me all the restaurants choices from Tulum and Coba but they said Tulum restaurants are only available from 9 - 11pm and I have to pay extra for the late night shift and what not. They also offer beach dinner and dancing with no extra cost.. But i'm thinking that'l be hard to dance to.. and the lighting might be too dark for photos?

Not everyone will drink so do I have to pay for each guest anyways for open bar?

As for pictures, my friends arent professional so I guess I'm saved from the vendor fee. Thank God. How about videographer? Is there also a vendor fee if I hire from outside the resort? How bout if  my friend do it?She's not professional as well.

Ohh okay, will do that for sure ASAP!. I asked about the WC but they didn't really answer and only asked about the reception.

Really appreciate you replying. Didnt think destination wedding would need this intensive planning and research.. 

Oooh I forgot to add. Has anyone done a DIY bouquets and flowers arrangements for bridesmaids and groomsmen, even for the center pieces? Is there a florist you know that sells bulk flowers.. Would definitely like to avoid any vendor fees that comes with it! I have 8 pairs of entourage and thinking of the hotel pricing for flowers would cost almost $800 with centerpieces and other people involved that needs flowers, kinda don't wanna do that. 

Edited by rawrice

• 3 weeks later...

hey we get married on the 29th may and have also book with Thomas cook! How are you getting on sorting the legal side out? im at a loose end when it comes to stuff like that and feel a little lost any advice is much appreciated thanks

Hi Jaimemccallion,

Congratulations to you first of all!

I was a bit worried at first but think I've got the hang it now. As I understand it if you are having a legal wedding and you do NOT require your parents name on wedding certificate the below needs to be supplied:-

•Blood tests ( in resort $95 each)

•Green cards ( you get these on arrival in mexico)

•Passports

•4 Witnesses

If you require your parents names on marriage certificate the below needs to be supplied

•All the above and

• Birth certificates (Long version) the birth certificates need to be legalised by the foreign office in London go online and you and type legalise documents. This will take you to government page to book and pay £30 per page to be legalised. Send it off to address they post back. Take it to Mexico and grand bahia translate into Spanish ( you will be charged for this not sure how much)

Any name changes will also require legalisation.

I have opted for the first option and not having our parents names on marriage certificate. However my partner is divorced so I have asked wedding coordinator to confirm if he needs to supply his decree absolute and I'm awaiting a response Thomas Cook say he doesn't as we have gone for first option but I'm double checking with Mexico as if you don't have the correct paperwork you can not get married.

Hope this was helpful and questions just ask.

Georgina

Hey yes we are having legal ceremony, I have already send off the witness information as requested by the travel agent and I have already got both mine and my partners full birth certificates. Neither of us have been married before so I guess it should be pretty straight forward. I just don't know if I'm panicking too much now over tiny details as it's only 19 weeks away! Feels crazy to even say that x