OFFICIAL Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Thread

Hello!

I just got married at the Gazebo in Tulum and stayed at the Akumal.

My wedding was at 2PM. Some things to consider. Getting lunch, this was darn near impossible. They would not deliver food to my room or allow anyone to take food from the snack bar. It was a huge pain, cause I already had my hair and make done and didn’t want to leave the room. My mother in law ended up getting room service(she was in the premier section) and brought it to the room. It was also sooooo hot in the afternoon. It was nice to be in the shade of the gazebo, but right after to get pics on the beach was hot hot. The wedding coordinator forgot to place the fans I had purchased on the chairs, so that didn’t help.

The resort photographer took pictures of the ceremony. Just because so many pictures were include in my wedding package. I did have my own photographer there, and they stayed out of each other’s way.  I found the resort photographer, very nice and polite, I never had any issue with them with regards to having my own photographer. They didn’t seem to mind at all. The only downfall of having our own photographer was getting around to take pictures, I couldn’t arrange private transportation, so we just had to take the trolley like everyone else. Wasn’t a huge deal.

We booked out the entire seafood restaurant on the Akumal side and I couldn’t have been happier. (There wasn't any air conditioning,which I wish there would have been, they had the windows open and the fans on, so it's was okay) We had it from 5:30-10:30. The dinner was delicious, the staff were amazing. I brought some of my own decorations and they made the place look great! In total it was $2500 USD. That included the entire restaurant, the plated dinner and all the drinks. For 54 people. I also had the DJ from 5 hours, that was $1050. He was excellent. We had such a good party in there. After 10 30, we had a music player, walked next door to the snack bar and continued to party. No one cared that we were there, lots of drinks and music. Just put a few tables together outside the snack bar and your good to go. I didn’t go to the disco because there was no air conditioning and my dress was hot hot!

I should also mention that 7 of us got our hair did at the salon and 6 of us were not happy. I didn’t find they did a good job, English was lacking and they just didn’t know what they were doing. We all had to fix our own hair and make-up(poor quality make-up). And it was very expensive, I would avoid if possible.

I also didn’t think to ask about what was going to be said during the ceremony. And it was quite religious. We didn’t care to much for that, I should have asked prior too but I totally didn’t even think of this.

Hmm I think that’s it….any questions just ask J

Congratulations!!

How did you manage to book the whole restaurant?

I thought you could only have it semi private?

Being able to rent a whole restaurant would put Gran Bahia at the top of my list!

I know, same here. We had it listed on our wedding website and everything that you could go between resorts and what not, so some people (very few) booked over at Tulum and now there is a small possibility they won't be able to come to Akumal. The guest services manager told my TA that he is willing to work with us if it's a small amount, so I have been dissuading people from booking elsewhere now and have updated the website - more fun stuff to worry about! Yay! LOL.

So the changeover is official, as you probably can't see on the attachment and I can't figure out how to copy and paste. There has been rumblings for the past 2 months but the official notice went out to the TA's yesterday. Akumal will be rebranded Luxury Don Pablo Collection but NOT adults only.. for now. So kids are still allowed. They are doing a soft renovation of about 150 or so of their suites to bring them up to Don Pablo Luxury standards. I believe they will be updating all of them but the 150 will be updated a little more so. The luxury changeover will mean that it will include unlimited a la cartes, premium liquor, turn down service etc. The same as Sian Kian really. If you are in Akumal, that is meaning you can go to any of the resorts, including Sian Kian now. We are waiting to hear back regarding the buffets and resteraunts at the other hotels as on the email AND on the website, it says you cannot use the Hacienda complex, which is public for EVERYONE. So I believe it was in error and me being the neurotic person I am, I already FB'd air transat and emailed them letting them know.

Jfarrowable, That's exciting! We are headed down November 5th to 19th, with guests coming in on the 6th, 8th and 9th for 10 and 7 day durations. We have about 50 people as well, all staying in Akumal. We aren't getting married at the resort though, we are getting married off site at a beach club :)

Wowee this changeover sounds like a big hassle!

My fiancee and i were at Akumal last december and loved being able to use amenities in Tulum and Coba as well.  :(

Will people staying at Akumal still be able to use Tulum and Coba just not the other way around?

So I guess this affects options for wedding ceremony and dinner location options...... Wonderful

Well, damn. I chose this resort specifically because I wanted to get married at the Akumal Hammocks site. I have no interest in an expensive "luxury" resort, so if I can't get married at the Akumal site while staying somewhere at Coba or Tulum, I might as well just start looking for different resorts. 

Congratulations!!

How did you manage to book the whole restaurant?

I thought you could only have it semi private?

Being able to rent a whole restaurant would put Gran Bahia at the top of my list!

Wowee this changeover sounds like a big hassle!

My fiancee and i were at Akumal last december and loved being able to use amenities in Tulum and Coba as well. :(

Will people staying at Akumal still be able to use Tulum and Coba just not the other way around?

People staying at Akumal can use the facilities at Tulum and Coba and as far as I know, Sian Kian as well. Details are still coming through and I am sure little things will be finalized as it gets closer to to the change over date but if you stay at Akumal, you have access to ALL resorts. Like you said, if you stay at tulum or Coba, you won't be allowed on Akumal but can go to tulum/Coba and vice versa.

Well, damn. I chose this resort specifically because I wanted to get married at the Akumal Hammocks site. I have no interest in an expensive "luxury" resort, so if I can't get married at the Akumal site while staying somewhere at Coba or Tulum, I might as well just start looking for different resorts.

I would email the wedding coordinators first and check. They are in the wedding business here and I am sure things such as wedding locations and such on other resorts they would allow, I can't seem them turning away weddings honestly. The coordinators emails are at the beginning of this thread.

P.s there are a few of us on here who are getting married RIGHT after the change over so we can update you lovely ladies on the happenings. My soon to be husband sleeps in on the mornings and I read the news on my ipad with coffee on the balcony, so it's nothing for me to come on here and briefly write what's going on.

Edited by lcboyko

Hi everyone,

I am getting married at the Tulum Gazebo on February 7th 2015. I have read many of the posts regarding using the hotel's photographer and flying in an outside photographer. I have decided to fly one in from the Washington DC area, however I have read mixed responses on this blog as to whether an outside photographer needs to stay 3,4,or 5 nights. Are there any other rules besides the number of nights they need to stay? Thanks for letting me know. I have sent an e-mail to the wedding coordinator, but figured i'd get a response here first.

Edited by jcarey1010

Hi everyone,

thanks for sharing all this information. We have ourselves and our guests booked for October 30th wedding. 

We have 80+ guests, and with less than 3 months ago I am still confused about how the private theme nights work and costs work though. 

I was hoping to either have a private restaurant dinner/reception or go for the BBQ Dinner Theme night. How do the costs work for these? do we pay per person including children? (in our case 80 people)

As some others mentioned on here, I'm also worried about the flow of the entire day as I don't want all of our guest going from one location to another every 2 hours. 

I also saw on their package info the resort sent me that the theme nights include a "domestic bar", does anyone know what this entails?

I appreciate your help in clearing this up for me. 

• VIP Member

Things may have changed, but when I did the BBQ dinner I paid per person, even for the 18 month old babies I had there.  But you may be able to negotiate that.

The bar is basically everything you could ask for.

As long as your reception is at the same resort as your dinner (or you do the theme dinner, in which case it's all at the same place) you won't need to worry about the flow.  It'll work lovely.  The only time it gets annoying for guests is when you  have the ceremony at one resort, the dinner at another, and the dance at yet another.  That's a lot of running around and trying to catch a ride.  Especially for 80 guests.

What resort are you staying at?

We are staying at Coba. Our ceremony to be held at the gazebo. 

It doesn't make sense to have to pay for children as much especially for infants (we have a few).

I think we are leaning towards the theme night just to be able to get a bigger selection since with 80 people we would have to have a one main course set menu. 

Do they always offer alternatives if it ends up raining?

Thanks for your quick replies.

They do offer alternatives for sure, I believe one of them is the Tequila Mexican restaurant.

Since you are staying at Coba, I've seen weddings at two of the pools. You can have it around the Jacuzzi pools or around the quiet pool. I would suggest having your dinner/dance at the hotel you are staying at so if people need to jet back to their room to use the washroom or grab something or even just go to bed, they are able to. It worked great for a few weddings we saw the last time we were there.

I agree on the infant thing, I found that silly. Fortunately, the venue we chose (off the resort) doesn't charge babies lol.

Hello everyone! I am getting married on November 20 2014, at the Akumal Beach location at 12 noon. That was the only time available unfortuantley, as I was hoping for a 1 or 2pm...Will it be really hot at that time? I'm not sure what to wear on my feet if anything, for walking on the sane.... anybody have advice on that? 

I also have a few questions...what is the BBQ Theme dinner night? Is that the private dinner on the poolside?

I am hoping to get Arlequin for my 85+ guests- and I was told 5:30pm for that...but how long do we get the restaurant for I was told 2 hours? I read in an earlier post that someone had it for 5 hours??

I'm hoping it will be private as we have a large group coming....after dinner then do a private poolside reception.

Also, when is the best time to take pictures. I would like some after the ceremony, but thought maybe right before dinner taking some pictures with the sunset...

Thanks for your advice and replies! :)