Indecisive Newbie

nylalany

Hi! My name is Sarah and I got engaged about 3 weeks ago.

I do not have a place or date set yet but I want to find the perfect place (or a few) and then work the date around it - and since I need to give time for guests to travel, it'll probably be btwn May and Dec '08.

The majority of my guests will becoming from NY & Los Angeles, with some from other parts of the country, so I though Mexico would be central, if I don't end up doing it in Southern California. I REALLY want a beach wedding as both my fiance and I surf (tho not so well) and love the ocean. Hawaii is out b/c it is too far for the east coasters, sadly.

I'm on the crazy end of destination as I need to invite about 200 guests, but I expect that 100 of them will come (large, loving extended family). Unfortunately, I don't feel the mega-resort vibe is representative of me, and it is hard to find a cutesy Caribbean type low key resort in Mexico. I want some place nice, but not too outrageously priced for the variety of guests I'll be inviting (all the beautiful smaller but not too small places I've found have rooms $500+ sadly). I need a place that accepts children, as a few of my friends and relatives have kids (a couple of whom will be my flower girls).

I've been looking into Cabo (which has surfing), Riviera Maya (which seems so so pretty but is full of mega-resoirts), and the west coast of Mexico Puerto Vallarta area (which is supposedly similar to Hawaii?). I've haven't been to any of these places in my recent memory so that doesn't help. Any other locations that would better fit my needs, or any suggestions for these places are welcome.

Otherwise, I might just stick to somewhere near home with Laguna beach or something. Having a hard time finding anything that isn't a hotel ballroom type wedding in SoCal on the beach though.

OBVIOUSLY I NEED HELP! Sorry to barrage you all with this right off the bat...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome, Sarah! you sound like me when i started - though you know what you want, and didn't! i know i didn't want a resort wedding, which sounds similar to you. i was married at Las Caletas (Puerto Vallarta) - it's a secluded, private beach that is only accessible by boat. i could go on and on, but i won't bore you ... unless you want to know more. just let me know! i have lots of pics and other links in my siggy - so click away! there are quite a few of us on this forum getting married there - so you wouldn't be lacking in help. oh, and the wedding coordinator there ROCKS!

i know that the Cabo Surf hotel in Cabo is a more intimate hotel, and many girls on here have been married there and been very happy. i don't know much else about it - or what the max number of people is.

you've come to the right place for help!

oh, and congratulations on the engagement!

Welcome :)

you PM'd me about the Cabo Surf and I responded. Have you checked out the Long Beach Museum of Art? It's not at all a ballroom and is definitely a cool oceanfront location. There are several private homes in Malibu that you can rent, and San Diego has some great options also.

Good luck. Venue was the hardest part for us!

Welcome Sarah...I think the Cabo Surf hotel in Cabo where Tasha got married would definitely fit your criteria. Also, Las Caletas in PV, where Ann was married- they've already posted, but I just wanted to reiterate that both of those places would be great for you!

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylalany View Post
Otherwise, I might just stick to somewhere near home with Laguna beach or something. Having a hard time finding anything that isn't a hotel ballroom type wedding in SoCal on the beach though.
just saw that you added this last part (or i didn't see it at first anyway). i bet some of the So. Cal. girls (and Leigh Miller, a fabulous photog!) can suggest some locations that might work if you wanted to stay local.