Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
leahpeah

Resort Closed! Wedding Booked & in 37 Days! Oh My!

Recommended Posts

So we are supposed to be getting married on Oct 7, 2011 at Breezes Bahamas.  Oct 7 is a special day, as it was my Grandparents anniversary.  My grandparents raised me and have both passed away and my Granny's death is very recent. 

 

After all the stress of finding a resort and getting good rates, figuring out who was coming and dealing with all the negatives from the people who weren't, booking flights and then finally thinking I can relax...whew!...Here I am 37 days away and my resort will be closed until Nov 1.  No contact from them at all.  I had to find out from facebook.  How awful is that?  My TA didn't even know about it until I told her. 

 

SO I originally heard that you would have an option to transfer to another resort in Nassau, or they would send you to a Breezes in Jamaica.  First of all, we don't want Jamaica.  We chose the Bahamas and now all 12 of our flights are booked.  So now it gets better!  Now people are saying that they aren't even moving people to other local resorts so you can either get a refund, or go to Jamaica.  WHAT??!!  Are you kidding me??  I understand that natural disasters happen but you don't just forget about the people who have made arrangements to get MARRIED.  You don't mess with a gal's wedding!  So now I am freaking out because I don't know what's going to happen.  And not only do I have to deal with the stress of changing our wedding plans around, I don't want my guests to be inconvenienced either.  I just don't know what to do!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear that this has happened. I'm sure in the end you will manage to work things out. Remember, it's not the wedding, but the marriage that counts. It's probably not what you want to hear, but hope all goes well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much and your words are oh so true!!  Everything has worked out and in fact, us and all of our guests have been upgraded at no extra costs and we still get to share an anniversary with my grandparents!!  If this wouldn't have happened we would have gone to the courthouse at home to get married on our special day, and just postponed the honeymoon.  I am so grateful that that things have worked out like they have.  Someone is definitely watching over us angel1.gif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you.  The whole situation is very unfortunate for everyone involved.  Our planner told me that there was very little damage done in that area so I never thought it would close a whole resort.  Can you and your guests just recieve a full refund right away?  I wouldn't want to be married in Jamaica either!  This is just a suggestion based on research I have done but I wondered if you have considered accomadations such as the Sheridan.  The group rates were like 150 per night for our dates in early June 2012. They also offered a meal plan to make it more like all inclusive.  The wedding planner was in touch with me right away and answered all my questions kindly.  I cannot recall her name but she was very detail oriented and that is just the thing to make this all come together smoothly. I realize this is not the wedding you chose but its just a consideration that may maintain your Bahamas wedding, the date you chose and can accomadate to all the fine details you would like with such a short timeframe.  Take a deep breath, say a lil prayer if you do that, chin up and your BDW friends will all do the best to help you any way we can:)

 

ps and no I don't work for Sheridan;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks Lanajoy!  You are too sweet!  Fortunately we used a TA and she was absolutely amazing at getting us moved to the Riu Paradise Island, for the same dates at no addtitional charge!!  She has made the whole thing go on the way we had planned, just at a different resort.  We are very grateful!
 

Originally Posted by Lanajoy View Post

First of all I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you.  The whole situation is very unfortunate for everyone involved.  Our planner told me that there was very little damage done in that area so I never thought it would close a whole resort.  Can you and your guests just recieve a full refund right away?  I wouldn't want to be married in Jamaica either!  This is just a suggestion based on research I have done but I wondered if you have considered accomadations such as the Sheridan.  The group rates were like 150 per night for our dates in early June 2012. They also offered a meal plan to make it more like all inclusive.  The wedding planner was in touch with me right away and answered all my questions kindly.  I cannot recall her name but she was very detail oriented and that is just the thing to make this all come together smoothly. I realize this is not the wedding you chose but its just a consideration that may maintain your Bahamas wedding, the date you chose and can accomadate to all the fine details you would like with such a short timeframe.  Take a deep breath, say a lil prayer if you do that, chin up and your BDW friends will all do the best to help you any way we can:)

 

ps and no I don't work for Sheridan;)



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, first I am glad that everything worked out in your favor.  You have to be a calmer person than me, because I guarantee Beaches would have heard me yelling at them all the way from Virginia.  How do you mess with a bride's wedding day withno recourse or remorse!!! How dare you?!?!? You're story makes me want to be your advocate and even though your TA arranged everything, I still want Beaches to pay.

 

I'm sorry - my husband says I can be a bit dramatic!

 

I am glad that everything worked out in your favor 29 days and counting......Are you ready?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow..all this bad talk about Jamaica...ladies...i'm  jamaica bride who stayed at Breezes Runaway Bay in Jamaica a few years ago and i must tell you, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL and had a great vibe...the rooms were spacious (we were upgraded)...there are verandah suites with plunge pools that are incredibly relaxing and the wedding chapel is absolutely the cutest and right on the beach.

 

if you had to do jamaica...breezes runaway bay is a beautiful alternative.

 

glad it all worked out for you but i had to chime in to represent the sun and fun Jamaica has to offer.  i'm getting married on october 8, 2011..so we're on the downside of the countdown...congrats in advance and happy planning!!

 

R~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I was pretty upset.  The part that upset me the most though was not knowing.  It was like pulling teeth just trying to figure out if it was going to happen, or if I needed to try to figure out other arrangements.  And all those people that are against us having a DW for their own selfish reasons sure would have loved it if this didn't work out for us.  But it has all worked out for the better and I am sooooooo grateful for that!  Now, if I could just get the wedding coordinator at the Riu to either call me or email me back that would make me even happier! 

 

Girl...29 days...that's just crazy to me!!  WOW!!  I just can't believe how fast it has gotten here!  And I have been mentally, physically, and emotionally ready for a long time now but I can't say the same for all the details that go along with a wedding.  Flowers...cake...veil...shoes...I am so not good at this and haven't had much direction!  I just can't wait to say I do to the love of my life so if all the small stuff isn't done, it will still be perfect to me. 

 

I hope your planning is going great and everything works out the way you want it to!!

 

Originally Posted by anudrm View Post

Wow, first I am glad that everything worked out in your favor.  You have to be a calmer person than me, because I guarantee Beaches would have heard me yelling at them all the way from Virginia.  How do you mess with a bride's wedding day withno recourse or remorse!!! How dare you?!?!? You're story makes me want to be your advocate and even though your TA arranged everything, I still want Beaches to pay.

 

I'm sorry - my husband says I can be a bit dramatic!

 

I am glad that everything worked out in your favor 29 days and counting......Are you ready?



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry.  I definitely didn't mean to be down on Jamaica.  I've never even been but I'm sure its beautiful!  The Bahamas is just where we wanted to go from day 1 of our decision on a DW and when we found a place we could afford it just seemed like everything was falling into place.  I would love to visit Jamaica one day.  We both love the beach and love to travel and Jamaica is definitely on our list of places to visit.

 

You guys are one day after us.  I know you are excited!  Congratulations!!

 

Originally Posted by futuremrstgun View Post

wow..all this bad talk about Jamaica...ladies...i'm  jamaica bride who stayed at Breezes Runaway Bay in Jamaica a few years ago and i must tell you, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL and had a great vibe...the rooms were spacious (we were upgraded)...there are verandah suites with plunge pools that are incredibly relaxing and the wedding chapel is absolutely the cutest and right on the beach.

 

if you had to do jamaica...breezes runaway bay is a beautiful alternative.

 

glad it all worked out for you but i had to chime in to represent the sun and fun Jamaica has to offer.  i'm getting married on october 8, 2011..so we're on the downside of the countdown...congrats in advance and happy planning!!

 

R~



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
    • So we are currently looking for an all inclusive resort for the wedding. We have 60 guests and found all the Dreams resorts as options and all of them gave us a quote and discounted price since it’s off season etc. Resorts in Punta Canta gave us a reasonable price, Dominicus gave us a really good deal then La Romana Resort and Spa gave us their regular price and so hard to negotiate. Will someone tell us how special is this resort that they won’t give us a good discount when all my guests are staying in their resort for 5-8 days. We are bringing $$$ in their resort and not give us a discount?  What is so special with this resort?  Can somebody recommend a beautiful resort? 
    • Hello Everyone, Share your favorite wedding venues. And also give me a Solution. I choose Wedding Venues in mobile al the Anne-marie cottage.
    • Hello Jania! are you bringing any external vendor for your wedding?
    • Looking forward to seeing your cruise wedding photos!!!
  • Topics

×