Destination invitation

ashley4224

just starting out this whole process and feeling incredibly over whelmed. When did you send out your invites and save the date? Did you give more time bc of the destination. With you invites what percent of guest actually came? Last question I promise Does the resort work with on room rates for the people attending the wedding? I am choosing an all-inclusive so my guest don't feel completely finically exhausted but a room mate discount would help. Thank you so much from a very stresses newbie

When did you send out your invites and save the date? 

I sent out the save the dates a year in advance. I included the link to our wedding website which had all the information that the guests would need to book, including a discounted room rate (see more on this below). I sent the invitations 5 months in advance, but, if I could do it again, I'd send them 6 months in advance. But it wasn't a tragedy that I sent them only 5 months out.

Did you give more time bc of the destination.
 Yeah. See above; earlier than for local weddings.

With you invites what percent of guest actually came?WWeWe 

We invited about 300 people (125 invitations) and about 50 people actually attended. So that's about 17%.

Does the resort work with on room rates for the people attending the wedding?
 Yes. I was able to negotiate a group rate ahead of time. This way it was already established when the guests booked. You will most likely be working with a wedding planner and/or travel agent. They may be able to help you this the process by acting as a liaison with the resort. I'd try this first. I ended up contacting the resort's Reservations Office and setting up the group rate on my own. It was very simple. I also did all-inclusive. The group rate was BY FAR the best option. None of the discounted or market rates could compare. So I highly recommend doing this.

Oh, I got so bogged down in informative stuff that I forgot to say...

Don't stress and just enjoy the process! Once you choose a resort and wedding planner, you'll have guidance and everything will seem more manageable. Congrats on starting this happy, fun, and exciting phase of your life!

Welcome! 

We sent out our STDs about a year in advance.  From there we had pretty much a 99% rsvp rate and never sent out formal invitations.  We thought it was only respectful to give more time to our guests to get finances in place ect.  We had about a 50% yes reply and 50% no reply.  We kind of expected it, but decided to send inviations to guests we knew wouldnt be coming anyways.

We chose an all inclusive resort for ease for our guests.  As I am from Canada we have packages for all inclusive vacations.  Its one price that includes everything, accomodations and travel.  Our guests who are sharing rooms are paying less then singles staying in their own room.

Happy planning:)

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome!

I know how overwhelming the beginning stages of planning a DW can be. I was in the exact same boat. BUT not to worry...once you get those BIG decisions made you will feel LOADS better! The hard part is figuring out where to start, and it sounds like you are already there! Go through the Del Sol Wiki, and just look at all the wedding slide shows. That really helped me get ideas and focus on the things I REALLY wanted to do/have for our wedding. They are also just amazing to look at and helped get me more excited and less stressed about it all!

I made Message in a Bottle STDs to get everyone excited to go! We sent out our STDs about a year in advance. I wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan and save. I know my Dad for instance gets a calender at the beginning of the year and has to put any of his vacations down for the entire year! I don't know how many people are coming yet, but it will likely be less than half of all the people we invited. But I'm OK with that! I want to keep it smaller anyway...one reason we chose a DW.

You can go through your resort for a room block, but I'm not sure they give you discounts/specials because of it. We are using a TA and she was able to get us a discount for everyone that books through her. Its not a HUGE discount, but it certainly helps! I think all- inclusive is the way to go! The initial shock of nightly rates were hard to swallow, but after you break it down, you realize how much you get for that price!

Good luck! :)

I agree that the initial price for an all-inclusive may cause some sticker shock. I also agree that you have to consider the price of eating out 3 meals a day (also any snacks or even bottles of water throughout the day) on top of a not all-inclusive rate. If your resort offers any activities in their all-inclusive package, then it's an even better value.

Originally Posted by krsmith View Post

Welcome!

I know how overwhelming the beginning stages of planning a DW can be. I was in the exact same boat. BUT not to worry...once you get those BIG decisions made you will feel LOADS better! The hard part is figuring out where to start, and it sounds like you are already there! Go through the Del Sol Wiki, and just look at all the wedding slide shows. That really helped me get ideas and focus on the things I REALLY wanted to do/have for our wedding. They are also just amazing to look at and helped get me more excited and less stressed about it all!

I made Message in a Bottle STDs to get everyone excited to go! We sent out our STDs about a year in advance. I wanted to give everyone plenty of time to plan and save. I know my Dad for instance gets a calender at the beginning of the year and has to put any of his vacations down for the entire year! I don't know how many people are coming yet, but it will likely be less than half of all the people we invited. But I'm OK with that! I want to keep it smaller anyway...one reason we chose a DW.

You can go through your resort for a room block, but I'm not sure they give you discounts/specials because of it. We are using a TA and she was able to get us a discount for everyone that books through her. Its not a HUGE discount, but it certainly helps! I think all- inclusive is the way to go! The initial shock of nightly rates were hard to swallow, but after you break it down, you realize how much you get for that price!

Good luck! :)