Photo

WARNING!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Evgal

Evgal
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

Also, I have learned that only thing any foreign country would ask from you is your passport.  Your passport is proof of your identity, age, nationality, and immigration/visa status.  There is nothing that a birth certificate proves that a passport does not.  And you would never need to leave your originals in a foreign country.  If you don't believe me, then call your local embassy within that country beforehand.

I only wonder how many people have left behind their birth certificates...

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

That seems crazy that you would need to get NEW birth certificates when you get home and leave yournoriginal in another country...... This makes me suspicious

#12 MrsWeiss1211

MrsWeiss1211
    • 127 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

this is nuts!

thanks for warning us all.

I'm getting married in the bahamas and they told us we just need our passports.  As you said, there's nothing a birth certificate can prove that a passport can't.

Forever could never be long enough for me to feel like i've had long enough with you

#13 GreekFood

GreekFood
      • 165 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

This is interesting! I'm also getting married at the Iberostar, and they told me that the judge would keep originals at the beginning of the process. We decided to get married in the states instead and have the ceremony only in the DR due to a number of other complications. It sounds like their go-to judge is a scammer!

Punta Cana, DR 01.16.2012

61 booked and counting!

#14 capecodder

capecodder
        • 234 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the information.  Makes me very happy with my decision to get married at home first!!

#15 kat2012

kat2012
          • 602 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I always wonder about that myself. I have foreign birth certificate and it means pretty much nothing in my country. So when I started preparing my documents for the wedding, our WC told us that we need to provide our birth certificates.... And not a passport... It still does not make any sense.

Originally Posted by Evgal 

Also, I have learned that only thing any foreign country would ask from you is your passport.  Your passport is proof of your identity, age, nationality, and immigration/visa status.  There is nothing that a birth certificate proves that a passport does not.  And you would never need to leave your originals in a foreign country.  If you don't believe me, then call your local embassy within that country beforehand.

I only wonder how many people have left behind their birth certificates...

#16 ssapper

ssapper
            • 182 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

oh my! this is scary!! Glad everything worked out for you though!

#17 ncruz06

ncruz06
              • 152 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

omg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users